The Student Room Group

UCL Maths interview

Hello. I've applied to UCL for maths and was just wondering if they have those "group" sessions that my I hear people get for other courses. If so, what were they like?
Reply 1
Original post by anshul95
Hello. I've applied to UCL for maths and was just wondering if they have those "group" sessions that my I hear people get for other courses. If so, what were they like?
I've applied to Maths at UCL, so I might as well bump this thread. :p:
Reply 2
Anyone had any offers or rejections?
bump, anyone have an interview?
Reply 4
Original post by AndersonsBentFoot
bump, anyone have an interview?

I went to the visiting day and they said they very rarely interview.
I went to the visiting day and they said they very rarely interview.

I have an interview tomorrow and they did say on the letter that they interview candidates with a strong overal application but one area of weakness which they use the interview to find out about. I'm guessing you have an offer?
Reply 6
I have an interview tomorrow and they did say on the letter that they interview candidates with a strong overal application but one area of weakness which they use the interview to find out about. I'm guessing you have an offer?

yes its in my sig
Reply 7

take an honest look at your application - are there any weak points perhaps modules wise perhaps interest in maths wise?
take an honest look at your application - are there any weak points perhaps modules wise perhaps interest in maths wise?

my modules are definitely weak when compared to the the applicants but the surprising thing is, UCL did not ask me to state my module marks down :s-smilie:

Also, i am a reapplicant on a gap year
Reply 9
my modules are definitely weak when compared to the the applicants but the surprising thing is, UCL did not ask me to state my module marks down :s-smilie:

thats extremely weird. Did you apply last year as well? - maybe they already have them.
Reply 10

so how did it go then?
so how did it go then?

Just got back right now. Wasnt too bad. There were 15 of us, mostly Chinese it has to be said. I was called by a female lecturer to her office, she seemed pretty nice and outgoing. She then sat me down and went straight into the maths question which surprised me a bit. I was preparing for questions like "Why Maths?", "Why UCL?" so she was pretty no nonsense. She asked me to sketch y=log(cos(x)) and some differentaition questions. With a bit of prompting as i got stuck a couple of times but she guided me through it and i got the answers in the end.

No i didnt apply last year, i'm not sure why they didnt ask for module grades but Dr.Bowles said he'll be making a desicion over the weekend so i'll receive a letter sometime next week.I'm waiting for Kings as well, is UCL going to be your firm? did you go to the open day?
Reply 12
Just got back right now. Wasnt too bad. There were 15 of us, mostly Chinese it has to be said. I was called by a female lecturer to her office, she seemed pretty nice and outgoing. She then sat me down and went straight into the maths question which surprised me a bit. I was preparing for questions like "Why Maths?", "Why UCL?" so she was pretty no nonsense. She asked me to sketch y=log(cos(x)) and some differentaition questions. With a bit of prompting as i got stuck a couple of times but she guided me through it and i got the answers in the end.

No i didnt apply last year, i'm not sure why they didnt ask for module grades but Dr.Bowles said he'll be making a desicion over the weekend so i'll receive a letter sometime next week.I'm waiting for Kings as well, is UCL going to be your firm? did you go to the open day?

thats what everyone is asking me but I honestly thought that Nottingham maths department is much better on the whole than UCL - they seem to care about their students a lot more. The maths department at UCL seems a little stretched to be honest (this is what I have heard from people, the impression I got on the open day and looking at unistats.gov website). Its going to be hard decision. The problem is UCL is perceived to be much more reputable than Nottingham so if I want a job after graduating I might have a harder time going to Nottingham. However, if I go into academia then Nottingham is by far the better one. I have to go to a post offer open day for Kings later this month so we will have to see.
thats what everyone is asking me but I honestly thought that Nottingham maths department is much better on the whole than UCL - they seem to care about their students a lot more. The maths department at UCL seems a little stretched to be honest (this is what I have heard from people, the impression I got on the open day and looking at unistats.gov website). Its going to be hard decision. The problem is UCL is perceived to be much more reputable than Nottingham so if I want a job after graduating I might have a harder time going to Nottingham. However, if I go into academia then Nottingham is by far the better one. I have to go to a post offer open day for Kings later this month so we will have to see.

So you are saying theres a chance of you firming Nottingham?

thats all true, IMO, your desicion should be based on what you see yourself doing once you've finished. if it is academics then as you said, Nottingham will probably be better but if its something in Finance then UCL would be better. UCL obviusly has the prestigious history but i wasnt to impressed today by the maths department as a whole. I much prefer the Kings one.

Quick Reply

Latest