The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Original post by Ali..
Find the coordinates of the stationery points on the curve with the equation

y=1/3Xcubed x -X + 1

Using differentiation dtermine ther nature.

Nae idea how to do this man, nae idea..

Are you sure you don't need help with your English?
Well, at the stationary points the gradient will equal zero. Essentially, find the points where the gradient is equal to zero, as that'll tell you where the stationary points are located.

Then, do find their nature, there are a few different ways. I was taught how to do it with a simple table, but it's been a while, and there are other ways I was shown at university. Your question says you must use differentiation but I never once encountered a question in any higher maths exam that said you must use differentiation to find the stationary points - I never did and was never taught to until after I sat the exam.
Differentiate it. That will give you the derivative, which is a gradient formula. Write For S.P.s solve dydx=0\mathrm{'For\ S.P.s\ solve}\ \frac {dy}{dx} = 0\mathrm{'} and then solve it. That will give you the x-coordinates. For the y coordinates, sub the x coordinates into the original formula (not the derivative!). To find the nature, draw a nature table - I can't do one on the computer, but look in your notes/textbook.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Law123mus
Are you sure you don't need help with your English?

Seconded.
Original post by derangedyoshi
Differentiate it. That will give you the derivative, which is a gradient formula. Write "For S.P.s solve dydx=0\frac {dy}{dx} = 0" and then solve it. That will give you the x-coordinates. For the y coordinates, sub the x coordinates into the original formula (not the derivative!). To find the nature, draw a nature table - I can't do one on the computer, but look in your notes/textbook.

This exactly.

OP, perhaps taking a higher 'englush' class would be of some help :P
Reply 6
Cheers pal, still dont get it but that is my own stupidity at blame.
Dont hate the player, hate the game! :angry: !!!
Original post by Ali..
Find the coordinates of the stationery points on the curve with the equation

y=1/3Xcubed x -X + 1

Using differentiation dtermine ther nature.

Nae idea how to do this man, nae idea..

Are you Scottish by any chance? :p:

do you know how to do this question yet...?
Reply 8
For some reason the way you spelt "maths" mildly amused me :holmes:
Original post by ScottishShortiex
Are you Scottish by any chance? :p:

What an idiot! Of course you're Scottish - well i would presume....
I completely forgot that this was a Higher Maths (Scottish Qualifications) thread! :facepalm: :lol:
Original post by ScottishShortiex
What an idiot! Of course you're Scottish - well i would presume....
I completely forgot that this was a Higher Maths (Scottish Qualifications) thread! :facepalm: :lol:

Before I read this post I was just considering if I should post and tell you he's most likely Scottish considering he's doing higher maths :tongue: I'm glad you did it for me :tongue:
Original post by Ecosse_14
Before I read this post I was just considering if I should post and tell you he's most likely Scottish considering he's doing higher maths :tongue: I'm glad you did it for me :tongue:

:lol:
Original post by Ali..
Cheers pal, still dont get it but that is my own stupidity at blame.
Dont hate the player, hate the game! :angry: !!!

What bit don't you get? We might be able to help. I didn't really explain anything in detail, I can go over it more clearly if you want.

Latest