Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Games Maker 2012 Olympic Volunteers

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness in in to the final 16! The group winners battle it out for the overall title! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathsmusicfrench)
    However I have been given a torchbearer slot 1 hour 40 minutes away from my house on a Sunday morning, and I don't own a car, and its a particularly busy day for everyone I know that lives anywhere near me... :/ interesting.
    Is there no public transport then?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NothingCrushesUs)
    Do you mean that you're going to be running with the torch?!?!
    Yes, that's the idea of a TorchBearer. Okay, fair enough, this thread isn't actually about them and its a separate process to the Games Makers, but yes I am. Yay

(Original post by El Torres)
    Torch relay. Wales is.. far. You'd think they would think about stuff like that but I guess they don't care as long as someone does it.
    Well, I do live in Wales, so its not that far, but the individual spot within Wales from where I live to where its all going down on the day is about 50 miles or so.

(Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    It's not Bangor is it?
    Its not, its Pembrokeshire, little hovel (apparently, never been) called Kidwelly. Nowhere near me oh well, considering I'm carrying the flame, I'll proably get over it pretty quickly.

(Original post by NothingCrushesUs)
    This is exactly my point regarding my situation!
    Yeah, fair shout, but the torchbearer is more simple in that everyone does the same job and only has one shift. So anyone can go anywhere along the route, the only factor to consider is where we live. (Once they'd picked the final shortlist) I suppose with the GM shifts/roles its a bit more complicated, and they didn't claim to be taking your address into account. They have to take into account the number of people they need, what role you are etc etc with the GM programme... You might be the closest person to Box Hill that can do your thing! (Maybe :P )

(Original post by GodAtum)
    Is there a liquid limit for volunteers working inside the Olympic Park? I want to bring my fruit juice to drink on shift.
    Interesting point. I guess no one knows yet. You'll be provided with food/drink though, (but I realise you might want your own fruit juice too.)

(Original post by jojospacemunky)
    You in person have to go to UDAC as you have to take photo id with you so a friend cannot go in fact you cannot take ANYONE else with you to UDAC as they will not be permitted onto the site!
    This is something I predicted, thanks for the confirmation...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is there no public transport then?
    I can get there at about 13.00 earliest by public transport.

Or I could walk I guess, I did 50 miles over the summer for DofE, only took 4 days.

#That'sSundayMorningInWalesForYo u
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Its not, its Pembrokeshire, little hovel (apparently, never been) called Kidwelly. Nowhere near me oh well, considering I'm carrying the flame, I'll proably get over it pretty quickly.
    That's really weird, I thought the torchbearers were meant to be from the locality?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    They mentioned on the news that you have to pay £200 if you want to keep the torch. Is that true?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can get there at about 13.00 earliest by public transport.

Or I could walk I guess, I did 50 miles over the summer for DofE, only took 4 days.

#That'sSundayMorningInWalesForYo u
    Wow did not realise! Surely that must be something against your human rights!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow did not realise! Surely that must be something against your human rights!
    ??

(Original post by El Torres)
    They mentioned on the news that you have to pay £200 if you want to keep the torch. Is that true?
    It is, for some people. There were 4 different nomination processes, one run by the Olympics Committee, and one by each of the presenting partners Lloyds TSB, Samsung and Coca Cola. The people nominated through the Olympics Committee are able to purchase their own torches, once the burners have been removed. No-one else has this possibility. The OC are charging £199 for the privilege, but the torches cost £545 to make, so that is quite cheap anyway. Of the presenting partners, to my knowledge Coca-Cola and Samsung have annouced that they will present each of their torchbearers with a torch after they complete their leg. They have obviously cut some deal with LOCOG to buy a job lot of torches from them in order to appear (and succeed in being) friendly and nice and public-spirited by giving away these torches.

THe whole thing is a numbers game though, LOCOG are providing the most Torchbearers (Samsung 1360 Coca Cola 500 Lloyds ?) and they are asking people to confirm whether they want to buy a torch or not now. Then they will make only as many torches as they need, and the ones that aren't bought by LOCOG people will be reused/have burners removed and then passed on to Samsung, Coca Cola etc to be given to their people after their legs, and the Samsung/Coca Cola people's actual torches will be passed to later generations of Samsung/Coca Cola people after their legs.

That's what I reckon anyway.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    That's really weird, I thought the torchbearers were meant to be from the locality?
    Well, they said they tried to put everybody within 1 hour of their home address. Evidently they didn't quite manage. The thing is, they picked the final group of TBs without discriminating by where you live. (Otherwise people in dense population would have a different chance to rural people) And once they had 7300 people, they started fitting them to different legs. Statistics say they would have more people from cities than from the country, so generally people will be heading out of cities to get to their legs I reckon (Although there are more legs inside the cities than rurally - along the country A roads they just pop the flame in the back of a van and drive to the next town)

Anyway, enough about that, back to topic?#

New Torchbearer discussion/enquiry thread: HERE (TSR link)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ??
    I've always assumed that there is a 24 hour bus service across the UK.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: National Express is the close you'll get, they take ages though and run between like.... 5am and 10pm or something silly.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are buses down here that only run twice a week, once on a Tuesday and once on a Friday. That's it for the whole week! What country are you from? :P I'm guessing you live in London or equivalent large city...!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In London they stop at something like 2-3am, brilliant for when you go on a night out and get wasted. I can understand that it won't be everywhere.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are buses down here that only run twice a week, once on a Tuesday and once on a Friday. That's it for the whole week! What country are you from? :P I'm guessing you live in London or equivalent large city...!
    Yep I'm from London and have never lived anywhere else in the UK
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Does any1 else think that this uniform collection thing is really badly thought through?

I live in Cornwall and apparently I have to go to London to collect my uniform and accreditation in person on a day that is entirely separate to my training days. I totally didn't realise this when I applied.

It's only takes an hour but it will take me a long whole day to go to London, pick it up and come back. I feel incredibly sorry for volunteers coming from further afield like Scotland. It just seems really impractical taking a lot of unnecessary time and money for such a simple thing that surely could have been grouped with a training session.

I'm in London at the end of April so called to see if I can collect it then but am only allowed to collect it during May or the beginning of June. Has any1 else managed to arrange something more practical?

Sorry to lower the tone but just had 2 have a little rant :bl:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll have to do it in May, everyone's training is done through April so I think they've set that last part of May for uniform collection. It's a shame really but I guess they need you for photo IDs and what not. Get the train down, stay in a hotel for a night is what I would do. If you have to come to London maybe you can work something where by you can stay for the whole week?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I can think of is asking to do it the same day/day after/day before one of your training sessions or even your shifts. I don't see why you couldn't get it 2 -3 days before the Olympics start, obviously not everyone can but I reckon the majority of Games Makers are from London or at least within an hours drive/train from the M25. So they should be accommodating of us "further afield" Games Makers.

For me its not the time taken (although I can't really get time off work I can fit it around it) its more the cost. I don't mind not being paid for volunteering, but when it starts to cost me loads of money, it gets a bit silly. So far I'm only on £18 train tickets + Oyster credit for the Wembley thing (stayed at a friends) but with two more trainings and a UDAC (?) visit it could start mounting up, especially if I have short notice and can't book trains in advance...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was reading the comments on the Games makers facebook page, a lot of people post on there just like here when information comes out. Anyway one of them said that the police are going to erect a giant tent in Piccadilly for Games makers to stay during the Olympics. All for free. Might be a good idea even if you live in the area since you get to hang out with other volunteers and what not.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Grrr...I'm getting a little impatient that I still haven't received an invite to collect my uniform/accreditation when it feels nearly everyone else has. I'd just really like a date so I can make sure I'm not working that day.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    do you think its possible to change role
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BOGEYMAN123456789)
    do you think its possible to change role
    I see it as being unlikely. Usually they would give you a role based on the skills that you have and the roles they have left to fill. It's at the stage now that if you were to reject your offered role, I'd doubt that they'd have another one for you or be willing to give you another.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 26, 2013
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.