Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Games Maker 2012 Olympic Volunteers

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    interview on the 9th of December from the Technology Team, anyone had that?? what questions do they ask? how many interviewers? I don't know what to expect
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are we expected to dress up smartly (as in wear a suit)? can someone let me know asap , thank you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nnuunnuu)
    Are we expected to dress up smartly (as in wear a suit)? can someone let me know asap , thank you
    i never.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chanchan)
    i never.
    ????
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ????
    I wore a jumper and black trousers. my interviewer referred to it as an 'informal discussion' as opposed to an interview. so there is no need for smart attire. after all we are wearing a tracksuit if selected.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chanchan)
    I wore a jumper and black trousers. my interviewer referred to it as an 'informal discussion' as opposed to an interview. so there is no need for smart attire. after all we are wearing a tracksuit if selected.
    aw ok thanks, what were you asked in the interview?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    aw ok thanks, what were you asked in the interview?
    this was an interview for events services btw
    describe a time when you had to work in a team to achieve a goal.
    describe a time where you overcame a challenge and how

those kinda of ques... at the end they asked you to list your skills which felt a little conceited to do tbh.

I think i definitely have the role as my interviewer was beaming and after the 'informal chat' wanted to hear more about what i do etc.

Looking forward to 2012 =]
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Got my interview for spectator entry team member on the 3rd of january, literally completely forgot about applying and really never expected to get anywhere so fingers crossed!

Would you need to be free for the entire month?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I originally got interviewed back in June for a role in event services (like a lot of people here). A couple of days ago, I got an offer to be a part of the Victory Ceremonies team as a medal / flower bearer. I would love to take this role, but I'm stumped as for what to do with accommodation. I don't know anyone in London, and I can't afford to fork out hundreds (if not thousands) on accommodation when I'm not being paid for doing this.

TL, DR: How can I find cheap accommodation in London during the games?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I live in Hackney (olympic host borough) but I've just got an offer for the paralympic cycling events out at Brands Hatch in Kent...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legend_90)
    I live in Hackney (olympic host borough) but I've just got an offer for the paralympic cycling events out at Brands Hatch in Kent...
    I got that event too... team member in events services??? I also got the Mall for the paralympic marathon event
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaymeg)
    I got that event too... team member in events services??? I also got the Mall for the paralympic marathon event
    oh cool, i got team member in the field of play .. really hope i get something in the olympic park too!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just got an offer for the Venue Entry Team Paralympic Games. I thought it would be for the real *Olympic* games, not sure if i'll take it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legend_90)
    oh cool, i got team member in the field of play .. really hope i get something in the olympic park too!
    yeah, my sister also applied and got the olympic park... kind of jealous......
    I wasn't too happy when I saw It wasn't the actual olympics, but on the other hand it isn't going to screw up my summer, which is quite a good thing as I have a lot going on.. so i'm happy I got the paralympics now XD

what does a team member in the field of play do? XD
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisbontnewydd)
    I originally got interviewed back in June for a role in event services (like a lot of people here). A couple of days ago, I got an offer to be a part of the Victory Ceremonies team as a medal / flower bearer. I would love to take this role, but I'm stumped as for what to do with accommodation. I don't know anyone in London, and I can't afford to fork out hundreds (if not thousands) on accommodation when I'm not being paid for doing this.

TL, DR: How can I find cheap accommodation in London during the games?
    you could try youth hostels and backpackers hotels???? they tend to be quite cheap compared to hotels, well they are where I live, they are probably a bit pricier in london. XD
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaymeg)

what does a team member in the field of play do? XD

no idea.. think its like marshalling the race track and stuff maybe?
    • 34 followers

Hey there. As mentioned in another I thread I reccently got offered a paid job for workin in Security/Transport at the Games following a selection event at the Excel a few weeks ago. It's a paid job so not quite voluntary but I think we do wear the same uniforms etc so I'm happy as I missed the deadline for the Games Maker application process.

I am working with LOCOG currently in a voluntary capacity conducting interviews for team leaders at the Young Games Makers selection events at Canary Wharf which has been good fun especially getting to see everything behind the scenes and getting discounts in the souvenir shop hehe!

Congrats to everyone who's been offered jobs annd good luck to those got interviews coming up. My advice is dress smart casual. Don't overdo it but don't under dress. To be on the safe side just wear shirt and trousers and maybe smart suit jacket/blazer on top. Someone turned up in jeans and t-shirt. Do read any information they send out to you or print something off from the 2012 website and do take some time to look at the exhibits in the Excel related to the games maker roles etc. Also most of the questioning will inolve asking you to reflect on any past experience which might be relevant to the games so make sure you have something to talk about and justify why it's important and why it's given you the ideal preparation/experience for the games. Like I said, try and read up on the role you are applying for. They won't be too impressed if you turn up not being able to at least talk briefly about what interests you about the job.

Some may feel "this is just a volunteering job and it's not that serious, I can just do or say whatever and I'll get the job for sure". WRONG!

I didn't think many people would be there when I went but there were LOADS so believe me this is a big deal and whether paid o unpaid, being able to say you worked at London 2012 will look impressive on your CV whether it's fo university or further study or professional work etc. If you didn't know already the Olympics is a massive sporting event with a worldwide appeal and recognition so to be able to say you worked with an organisation like LOGOC will no doubt be a major talking point at any future interviews. I remember when I had the equivalent of a "young games maker" role at the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester and my interviewer did focus a lot on that so if you have had previous big event/tournament experience then it's definately worth talking about that.

Anyways so to summarise: make sure you can draw on any past/present experience and explain how this would benefit you in a potential games role.

Oh and good luck and see you at 2012.

Merry Christmas.
    • 34 followers

(Original post by ebam_uk)
    I just got an offer for the Venue Entry Team Paralympic Games. I thought it would be for the real *Olympic* games, not sure if i'll take it.
    The Paralympics is a big deal. Sure it's not the Olympics but you did well to get the offer and there are loads of people out there who would happily take it if you give it up.
    So don't give it up.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gridiron-Gangster)
    The Paralympics is a big deal. Sure it's not the Olympics but you did well to get the offer and there are loads of people out there who would happily take it if you give it up.
    So don't give it up.
    I am pretty sure I'll get an offer for the Olympics, but the offer for the paralympics is an exploding offer. Therefore if accept the paralympics offer I will not even be considered for the olympics.

Why can't they give me both offers then let me make the decision, otherwise I could take a gamble and possibly not get the olympics offer.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have applied for a Games Maker role and to be perfectly honest I am pretty disillusioned with the process. I feel LOCOG are playing games if you'll excuse the pun. I applied 15 months ago for both games.I read there were 250,000 applicants for 70,000 roles and 100,000 people would be interviewed although how they weeded out 150,000 people given the application process did not ask for a CV is beyond me but so be it. Anyway when I got an interview in March I was pleased. In October I got offered a role at the ParaOlympics which I accepted. My application for the Olympics is still under review 3 months later and less than 8 months before the games why? It's totally uneccesary. I don't feel I can make any plans for next year because I don't know how much time I will require for the games and training which could start in February for a role I may not even get. I am sure I am not the only one who's patience is wearing a bit thin.
    My inbox is bombarded by emails for paid jobs everyday at the games and I have started applying for these. If LOCOG can't decide if they want me to work for them for nothing a year after I applied I might as well apply to people who will pay me to work at the games. Worse for the games is with a 100,000 interviews for 70,000 roles they might well not have enough people to fill all the roles as many people will drop out the longer they leave it as said here some have forgotton they applied, others have been kept waiting so long they are not interested, many will have found paid roles at the games e.g. one of the 1000's of security roles they have only just started recruiting for, and the fact that LOCOG are leaving it so late to inform people that they may not be able to get all the time not just for the games but the training beforehand not to mention the problems of accomodation. If LOCOG don't get into gear they will have a staffing disaster on their hands and it will only be their fault. Even volunteers should be treated with more respect.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: January 26, 2013
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.