The Student Room Group

Linked-Pair Pilot?!

Hey!

Is anyone here doing the linked-pair pilot GCSE in Maths? It's only just come out this year on AQA and only like 100 schools are doing it!

If you are, let me know!
I'm not :smile:
Original post by linkdapink
Is anyone here doing the linked-pair pilot GCSE in Maths? It's only just come out this year on AQA and only like 100 schools are doing it!

What do you want to know about it linda? I am the best person on TSR to ask.
Reply 3
Original post by Mr M

Hello!

Well, I'm just doing an assignment on teaching practices and Maths and the such! I've been looking it up, and it seems more of a practical approach, I was just wondering how different the experiences are in the classroom, and whether it seems effective etc.

Original post by linkdapink
Hello!

Well, I'm just doing an assignment on teaching practices and Maths and the such! I've been looking it up, and it seems more of a practical approach, I was just wondering how different the experiences are in the classroom, and whether it seems effective etc.

There is no great difference in approach and it is too early to tell anyway seven weeks into a two year course.

All GCSEs in mathematics changed in 2010 to contain functional elements. All that is different about the Linked Pair is that the functional elements are mostly located within the two Applications modules instead of being embedded throughout the qualification.

Can I suggest you look at KS3 instead as that changed significantly three years ago to a skills-based curriculum? The Process Skills are explained here:

http://curriculum.qca.org.uk/key-stages-3-and-4/subjects/key-stage-3/mathematics/programme-of-study/index.aspx
Reply 5
Original post by Mr M
There is no great difference in approach and it is too early to tell anyway seven weeks into a two year course.

All GCSEs in mathematics changed in 2010 to contain functional elements. All that is different about the Linked Pair is that the functional elements are mostly located within the two Applications modules instead of being embedded throughout the qualification.

Can I suggest you look at KS3 instead as that changed significantly three years ago to a skills-based curriculum? The Process Skills are explained here:

http://curriculum.qca.org.uk/key-stages-3-and-4/subjects/key-stage-3/mathematics/programme-of-study/index.aspx

Cheers! I'm really struggling with the written assignments in my MEC so this'll really help me! Thanks :smile:
Reply 6

Original post by Mr M

yh im doin the exam nd im gunna fail!! my teacher is awful! she doesnt teach we get given a text book every lesson she doesnt explain or nethin!
Original post by aimes26
yh im doin the exam nd im gunna fail!! my teacher is awful! she doesnt teach we get given a text book every lesson she doesnt explain or nethin!

Sorry to hear that aimes. You could ask the Head of Department privately if you could be moved into another set as you don't feel you are learning anything. Even if he or she says no, it is likely he or she will keep a closer eye on the situation. By the way, the rules of TSR say no text speak.
Reply 8
Hey, im doing it at the moment, it's rather horrible i tell you and it's worrying about the fact that im only in year nine and im doing GCSE's early. anyone got any helpful websites maybe related to this exam. onl the top groups do his exam i think :smile:
Reply 9
eat carrots it will definately help you in linked pair pilot

Quick Reply

Latest