The Student Room Group

Advice on achieving my potential.

Hello there, firstly apologies if this thread has been done to death, but I am new to this board and in need of some advice.

Basically I am half a term into my AS levels and I really want to do my very best. I am taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and History. I am considering applying for Law at uni, and regardless of what subject I do I want to go to a top Uni. I got 6A*, 5A and a B at GCSE, and I feel I probably could have done a bit better. I feel I am capable of getting top marks, but I have a tendency to 'coast', and not really work hard until a few weeks before exams.

So basically what I am asking is how can I avoid being disappointed on results day? How much work should I be doing outside of lessons? How can I make sure I will be as fully prepared as possible for my first exam in January? What good habits should I try and get into? I'm sure they must be people who are in or have been in a similar situation to me out there somewhere :wink:

Cheers for your help, TG.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by TheGrandmaster
Hello there, firstly apologies if this thread has been done to death, but I am new to this board and in need of some advice.

Basically I am half a term into my AS levels and I really want to do my very best. I am taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and History. I am considering applying for Law at uni, and regardless of what subject I do I want to go to a top Uni. I got 6A*, 5A and a B at GCSE, and I feel I probably could have done a bit better. I feel I am capable of getting top marks, but I have a tendency to 'coast', and not really work hard until a few weeks before exams.

So basically what I am asking is how can I avoid being disappointed on results day? How much work should I be doing outside of lessons? How can I make sure I will be as fully prepared as possible for my first exam in January? What good habits should I try and get into? I'm sure they must be people who are in or have been in a similar situation to me out there somewhere :wink:

Just work as hard as you can, there is no 'magic number' of hours to work per week, just make sure you understand all the concepts. If you go to all your lessons, take good notes, and do all the homework, then you should do well at A-levels. You got a lot better GCSEs than me and I'm now studying at St Andrews reading physics, and getting good grades here.

Basically don't slack, but don't kill yourself over work either - a healthy balance is essential.
First off, well done for wanting to do really well in the first place - that's where you start - motivation :smile: Keep thinking back to what you are working for and why.

Secondly, make sure your revision methods are useful i.e. not a time waster designing posters if you do not learn that way (just an example). So find out how you revise efficiently and perfect that method.

Thirdly, do a few hours after school to make sure you feel confident on what you are doing and most importantly keep going to exam papers for the subjects you are doing, go through EVERY question you can find relating to your notes and once you can do every question with no struggles - move on to the next topic.
I think i've got a good work ethic and i'm always very pleased come results day, but the key is to do a little bit of studying from now until the exams day (but you can take a few weeks off after your January exams).

Basically, i've started studying now (just for general class tests/unit tests) but as my prelims are in february i will continue studying from now till then - maybe 1 or 2 hours every few days (doing core revision then past papers nearer exam time). After these exams, i will probably take 3 weeks off before i resume studying again (for my actual exams in late May/early June). Although this is alot of hard work, it really does pay off come exam time! :smile:
Thanks for the responses :smile:
Reply 5

I feel were in almost the same position. Basically the same GCSE results, almost the same A level choices (except i did economics instead of history) and lastly i was wondering, do you do Edexcel Salters Horners Physics ?

I will subscribe to this thread with interest :smile:
Original post by Jampolo
I feel were in almost the same position. Basically the same GCSE results, almost the same A level choices (except i did economics instead of history) and lastly i was wondering, do you do Edexcel Salters Horners Physics ?

I will subscribe to this thread with interest :smile:

Yes, I do Edexcel Physics :smile: Hopefully there will be a few more replies :biggrin:
I am also in AS doing Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Economics. I got not as good GCSEs, 7A, distin*, 2B and C. I have been working my ass off before the half term, but comes this half term I have been procrastinating pretty much every day. Yesterday and today, I did a few hours of really inefficient revision. Really need to learn how to revisive efficiently.

This video kept me going for a few weeks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NQREuc7JX8
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Yes, I do Edexcel Physics :smile: Hopefully there will be a few more replies :biggrin:

Ok good, and yeh i hope so, need to sort out revision techniques soon, not long until i will actually start revising!
Reply 9
Original post by Awesomesauce
I am also in AS doing Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Economics. I got not as good GCSEs, 7A, distin*, 2B and C. I have been working my ass off before the half term, but comes this half term I have been procrastinating pretty much every day. Yesterday and today, I did a few hours of really inefficient revision. Really need to learn how to revisive efficiently.

This video kept me going for a few weeks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NQREuc7JX8

Them video are just amazing, i mean everything he tells you, you already know yourself, but he puts it in such simple terms that i now feel that im going to change myself.. for the good.
Original post by Awesomesauce

Great video, thanks :smile:
I'm in year 11 now so have most of my GCSEs coming up. I really need to learn how to revise properly. I hate doing past papers, does anybody know another way which actually works.Those who are doing AS, how did you revise before your GCSEs?
Hi, I'm in Year 11 so have most of my GCSEs coming up and I really need to learn how to revise effectively. I hate doing past papers, if anybody knew of another way that worked I would be really grateful. Those who are doing AS, how did you revise before your GCSEs?
Reply 14

Do past papers as soon as you finish a module which you will have an exam on in January. But don't go crazy, do a paper and don't move into the next until you've fully completed and understood your mistakes from the previous one.

With history, if you've finished with the official exam board textbook, then I would go to the public library and get some books related to the events that you're studying. That's what I'm doing :tongue:, there are always loads of history books in libraries. This helps widen your knowledge and understanding of key events and figures, and so you can evaluate effectively in the exam.
Reply 15
Original post by HowToSaveALife
Hi, I'm in Year 11 so have most of my GCSEs coming up and I really need to learn how to revise effectively. I hate doing past papers, if anybody knew of another way that worked I would be really grateful. Those who are doing AS, how did you revise before your GCSEs?

Well the GCSEs i revised for were maths (past papers, its the only way tbh) physics, chemistry, biology (writing notes and then going them and the main concepts, this worked well as i got A*A*A in physics chemistry and biology respectively) business studies (we had a 300 page textbook to revise from, so i wrote down just definitions and very important concepts, didnt do any past papers except the ones in class, got an A for business) and that was about it. The other GCSEs i didnt see anyway of efficient revision (e.g. English) or i hated the subject (e.g. food tech ), i wouldnt recommend "not revising", its just that i was too busy revising for the subjcets i was going to do in college, and maybe university, therefore they took priority.

So my advise to you is to write short brief notes, going over the key concepts. Also i have post-it notes, with each one having a key definition, and you can stick them in places around your room and just leave them as they are, as i have, but this definately helps too.

For subjects such as maths or statistics, the only efficient way to revise is through past papers, as the questions follow a pattern, also the subject is about application of knowledge, and is not so theoretical at GCSE.

Good luck in your GCSEs, but just remember, they dont mean as much as you think (or as much as i used to think), once you go to college they're basically redundant, they're only important if your doing medicine or a VERY competitive university course. Otherwise, dont pressure yourself too much!
Original post by Jampolo
Well the GCSEs i revised for were maths (past papers, its the only way tbh) physics, chemistry, biology (writing notes and then going them and the main concepts, this worked well as i got A*A*A in physics chemistry and biology respectively) business studies (we had a 300 page textbook to revise from, so i wrote down just definitions and very important concepts, didnt do any past papers except the ones in class, got an A for business) and that was about it. The other GCSEs i didnt see anyway of efficient revision (e.g. English) or i hated the subject (e.g. food tech ), i wouldnt recommend "not revising", its just that i was too busy revising for the subjcets i was going to do in college, and maybe university, therefore they took priority.

So my advise to you is to write short brief notes, going over the key concepts. Also i have post-it notes, with each one having a key definition, and you can stick them in places around your room and just leave them as they are, as i have, but this definately helps too.

For subjects such as maths or statistics, the only efficient way to revise is through past papers, as the questions follow a pattern, also the subject is about application of knowledge, and is not so theoretical at GCSE.

Good luck in your GCSEs, but just remember, they dont mean as much as you think (or as much as i used to think), once you go to college they're basically redundant, they're only important if your doing medicine or a VERY competitive university course. Otherwise, dont pressure yourself too much!

Thanks for this advice. I have exams for chemisty, physics and biology coming up soon and theyre not my favourite subjects so I will try using the post-it notes, it sounds like a really good idea :biggrin:
Original post by HowToSaveALife
Thanks for this advice. I have exams for chemisty, physics and biology coming up soon and theyre not my favourite subjects so I will try using the post-it notes, it sounds like a really good idea :biggrin:

Past papers. At GCSE in the mock, I basically learnt the answers to the questions for the previous years exams, as my chemistry mock was also the same exam as the previous year. This got me an A* and the physics paper happened to be a totally different one.

Ironically, I only got an A in the real exam. Fail on my part.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest