The Student Room Group

Want to drop out of uni

I am currently in a tough position. I am at Aberdeen University and really want to go home. I am still waiting for my Tutorial Advisor (from college) to give me a reference for UCAS as I am currently applying for The University of Liverpool for next year. Basically I applied to do Politics and International Relations at Aberdeen and got an offer so I accepted.

I came here really excited and it has been a let down since day one! Firstly my halls are rubbish. I'm a first year undergrad put with a load of post grads! (WTF!!!) Secondly I came to do IR and Politics but I have to include random module choices (Sociology, history and computer science!!!) to make up my credits, due to the education system up here in Scotland. I came to do politics and IR not all this other crap (for want of a better word).

Its at the point now where I am sticking on by my fingernails just so I can complete OTC selection and then try and transfer home. On the other hand I just want to go home regardless of if I get an offer for first year back at home or not next year. Any advice would help!

xx
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by little-miss-scouse
I just want to go home regardless of if I get an offer for first year back at home or not next year.

This is the bit that stuck out for me - you just want to go home. If you dislike Aberdeen that much, I'd recommend just going home and applying to unis you can commute to or live nearer to (whichever one is the aim) once you're back. :smile:
Reply 2
Give the uni you want to attend to a phone call before you do anything. Dont e-mail them as that will take to long and you most likely wont get the kind of response your looking for.

Explain your situation and say that you dont quite have the A level grades. The uni should be able to give you an over view of what you can and cant do. You might even be lucky enough that the course you want to do has spaces, meaning that you can instant transfer this year and just be a few weeks behind. Eitherway dont leave it to late, uni is expensive and its best to get things organised as quick as possible and figure out what your options are. It might be an idea to speak to your current uni, they might be able put you on the course you want to be on now, or help you out with obtaining the A levels you want.

Good luck.
Original post by 43214321
I'm stuck in a similar position. I'm at Portsmouth but really wanted to be with my girlfriend in Loughborough, which I missed out on by one grade. I thought it would work but end up missing her lots. I'm not enjoying the course, and feel I could do better. I am now very seriously wanting to drop out and retake the relevant A-level modules but don't know what to do first. Anyone know the last dates for dropping out?

Thanks in advance

I dropped out from Portsmouth at January last year, and they asked for half my tuition fees (obviously you don't pay til you're working after graduation, but still!).

Call the uni, ask if they would consider you if you retook the modules, and go for it! I did it and it was the best decision I ever made :smile:
Original post by little-miss-scouse
Secondly I came to do IR and Politics but I have to include random module choices (Sociology, history and computer science!!!) to make up my credits, due to the education system up here in Scotland. I came to do politics and IR not all this other crap (for want of a better word).

Don't knock the curriculum at Aberdeen. It's your responsibility to look at how the uni structures its degrees. Its your fault for not looking at the course properly.

The way this system works gives the student a somewhat broader degree - one that highlights the links between other subject fields. You go into honours in 3rd and 4th year, where you focus harder on your chosen field. You could quite easily argue that you would have a better understanding of how your subject fits into the the world around you because of the knowledge you have about other subjects.

Hardly cheating you, are they?
Original post by psychocustard
I dropped out from Portsmouth at January last year, and they asked for half my tuition fees (obviously you don't pay til you're working after graduation, but still!).

Call the uni, ask if they would consider you if you retook the modules, and go for it! I did it and it was the best decision I ever made :smile:

Where did you go to drop out? The Portsmouth website has no information

Quick Reply

Latest