Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Muscle Building Society For Men V4!

Announcements Posted on
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    I don't particularly want to use things from books in my workouts.

Like I said, I just want to increase my knowledge. I want to know more about strength/muscle/training and stuff like that. It interests me.
    I'm agreeing with Smack. I don't know how much useful stuff you'd get tbh. I can see reading it just out of interest. But if you want to increase your knowledge, train regularly at a serious gym with very experienced lifter. Otherwise, what's the point of the book knowledge in training? You only know what works for you or when coaching, when you spend enough time under the bar and/or coaching others over the years.

I can just see the reaction if someone tried to say in a powerlifting/weightlifting gym, "I read in this book..." It won't go down well, not that anyone would ever say that though.

To summarise, I don't know any books to suggest.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I'm agreeing with Smack. I don't know how much useful stuff you'd get tbh. I can see reading it just out of interest. But if you want to increase your knowledge, train regularly at a serious gym with very experienced lifter. Otherwise, what's the point of the book knowledge in training? You only know what works for you or when coaching, when you spend enough time under the bar and/or coaching others over the years.

I can just see the reaction if someone tried to say in a powerlifting/weightlifting gym, "I read in this book..." It won't go down well, not that anyone would ever say that though.

To summarise, I don't know any books to suggest.
    Okay, I must have worded this badly cos you've both got it twisted.

I'm saying I want to read about interesting things to do with training and strength, because it's something I find interesting. And you all do too presumably, since you're here. So it doesn't necessarily have to be about training regimes, but something to do with strength and conditioning that is interesting.

getmeblad?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    lolyes

Only book I read was Practical Programming, and I didn't really find it all that practical for programming. :ahee:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thanks SMed, you've been a great help :indiff:

• 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be honest you're better off spending your time reading other things that will better help you in real life.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    To be honest you're better off spending your time reading other things that will better help you in real life.
    I want to read something interesting. And not fiction. Tell me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    'No Angel'. (joking). Well kind of, its a great read but nothing to do with strength training.

On another note, Layne Nortons recent article was quite interesting. De-bunked any theories that said Growth Hormone actually aided in hypertrophy/muscle growth/protein systhesis. Leg workouts increase GH but GH doesn't actually help in improving strength/muscle hypertrophy. Good read if you have the time.

Growth Hormone
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Read:

Demon Haunted World
    Missionary Position
    God is Not Great
    A Short History of Nearly Everything
    The Selfish Gene
    Bad Science
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bad Science is pure awesome. Ben Goldacre is a God.
    • 66 followers

ReputationRep:
    Only strength training book i've ever been reccomended would be the Starting Strength book by Rippetoe which could be very interesting. Apparently he spends about 10+ pages describing how to quat which could be interesting...

On the other hand i have an absolutely hilarious weight lifting book that i found at home the other month which is from the 80s and it's a bunch of stupidly dressed people lifting small amounts of weights on dumbells and using over the top machines from the 80s. One of machines had a telelvision built in and it's a massively deep crt screen with a 5 inch picture... Next time i go back i'll grab the name of it... It's eff'ing hilarious though...

Also +1 on the Bad science. Literally the best book i've read this year by a clear mile...
    Would send my copy but lent it to my dad to read...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Read:

Demon Haunted World
    Missionary Position
    God is Not Great
    A Short History of Nearly Everything
    The Selfish Gene
    Bad Science
    brb googling each title
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The first one and the last one sound okay.

MOAR
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The first one and the last one sound okay.

MOAR
    A brief history of time is an alright read if you're into that kinda thing. Probably a bit dry if you aren't very maths/physicsy though.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    They all are okay! Unless religious myth debunking is not fun for you. But A Short History of Nearly Everything is an epic book, and not really a religious book.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    They all are okay! Unless religious myth debunking is not fun for you. But A Short History of Nearly Everything is an epic book, and not really a religious book.
    It's not. I find it incredibly dull. Sorry.

But yeah that one sounds okay too actually.

Re: above, I like physics.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    I read things related to my degree and the energy industry. The titles that SMed has recommended are also good.

And also, maybe take up a hobby.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Atlas Shrugged
    The Greatest Show on Earth: The Evidence for Evolution
    Think and Grow Rich

Great reads.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is it me or do most of the people in this sub-forum seem to either be current UCL students or were?
    (Bit random q but meh...)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    I read things related to my degree and the energy industry. The titles that SMed has recommended are also good.

And also, maybe take up a hobby.
    lol, I have plenty of hobbies Smack, don't worry! I just know that in the summer I'm going to be going on holiday and also commuting a lot for work.

And Computer Science is ****ing boring to read about unfortunately.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HilariousNinja)
    Is it me or do most of the people in this sub-forum seem to either be current UCL students or were?
    (Bit random q but meh...)
    There seem to be a few. But equally plenty who aren't.
Updated: June 7, 2011
New on TSR

GCSE results day

Waiting for your grades? Let off some steam in our results chat megathread

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.