The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arturo Bandini
lol, I have plenty of hobbies Smack, don't worry! I just know that in the summer I'm going to be going on holiday and also commuting a lot for work.

And Computer Science is ****ing boring to read about unfortunately.

Well you should have studied mechanical engineering then because it's awesome.
Original post by HilariousNinja
Is it me or do most of the people in this sub-forum seem to either be current UCL students or were?
(Bit random q but meh...)

Random chance I suppose? It's not as if UCL is a lot more athletic/full of wedge blokes than usual. Probably just coincidence that U4M1R, The Question and I who are current at UCL and AT who's ex-UCL.
Reply 7462
I agree with Atlas Shrugged
The god Delusion,
God is not Great is another i agree with
Original post by Smack
Well you should have studied mechanical engineering then because it's awesome.

I probably should've, actually. Or something along those lines.
Reply 7464
I dislike alot of the south. Too much talk of London up in this
I probably should've, actually. Or something along those lines.

I was going to study computer science at one point. Even went to an open day for it. My dislike of the open day plus some fairly dodgy careers advice from my physics teacher made me switch to engineering. Don't regret it one bit.
I almost studied computer science as well. Actually filled out my UCAS form to be computer science to beign with and one day i realised i hated programming and loved my chemistry lessons so realised i needed to make the switch...

Decided on like the 4 hour drive to my current uni during a lond discussion with the father and ended up doing chemistry which is pure awesomeness...
Original post by Smack
I was going to study computer science at one point. Even went to an open day for it. My dislike of the open day plus some fairly dodgy careers advice from my physics teacher made me switch to engineering. Don't regret it one bit.

TBF computer science is what I excel at. But physics and engineering interest me a lot but unfortunately I didn't know it until I got to uni. (misspent youth).
Reply 7468
Gordon Ramsay's autobiographys are great.

Also Richard Branson's Losing my Virginity is awesome.
Reply 7469
I shudder when I see some of the CompSci guys at GImperial...

And don't get me wrong, I like compsci, it just doesn't make for interesting spare-time reading.
Anyone going to/doing/done an Economics degree?

Really wished I'd done it instead of the ****ty degree I'm about to finish...
(edited 12 years ago)
And don't get me wrong, I like compsci, it just doesn't make for interesting spare-time reading.

Read Logic by Paul Tomassi...you'll probably breeze it if your compsci skills are up to scratch...and then you'll be equipped to read all the most infuriatingly formal philosophical works.
Original post by Keith Lemon

Really wished I'd done it instead of the ****ty course I'm about to finish...

I did some economics in first year. It was pretty grim, nothing like the A level at all, which I rather enjoyed. What degree are you about to finish now?
Original post by The Blind Monk
I did some economics in first year. It was pretty grim, nothing like the A level at all, which I rather enjoyed. What degree are you about to finish now?

Haha, yeah I guess the step up from A-level would be pretty significant, but even so, still wished I had done it.

Spent 3 years doing Social Anthropology, can be interesting, but can also be total ****, lol.

What degree are you doing to have the Economics module?
Haha, yeah I guess the step up from A-level would be pretty significant, but even so, still wished I had done it.

Spent 3 years doing Social Anthropology, can be interesting, but can also be total ****, lol.

What degree are you doing to have the Economics module?

History. I can do electives in Quantum physics or whatever if I want/hit the prerequisites. It's not the 'step up' that bothers me per se, it's the fact that it was all about models that didn't work with absolutely insane assumptions that made little sense. With history, at least I know what I'm going to get/am cool with the fact none of it matters. And the attitude around the department of MUST GET INVESTMENT BANKING INTERNSHIP drove me up the wall. I guess I'm just not cut out for that sort of thing. That and the maths for the sake of doing maths. That pissed me off.

Really wished I'd done it instead of the ****ty degree I'm about to finish...

Yep, LSE undergrad (hopefully).

Blind Monk you do Econ?
Original post by Michael XYZ
Blind Monk you do Econ?

Naw. I'm a waster and do history. I did 1/4 of my degree in Econ last year, which turned out to be a rather rookie error. It's not for me at degree level. At all. Lots of assumptions and maths for the sake of doing maths. Which I find endlessly frustrating.
Reply 7478
Original post by The Blind Monk
Naw. I'm a waster and do history. I did 1/4 of my degree in Econ last year, which turned out to be a rather rookie error. It's not for me at degree level. At all. Lots of assumptions and maths for the sake of doing maths. Which I find endlessly frustrating.

Maths for the sake of doing maths is much better than that rubbish they call maths in economics:p:
Original post by Michael XYZ
Yep, LSE undergrad (hopefully).

Blind Monk you do Econ?

Nice one, will be an awesome degree to have when you're done.

Latest