The Student Room Group

Help me decide ... RHUL or Bristol or .....?

OK so my predicted grades are AAB

The B (Biology) is a bit harsh as I was only a few marks of an A that I think I will make up when I re-sit the practical so hopefully I will get an A! :smile:

Anyway

I am applying to,

York
Lancaster
Leeds
Loughborough

and .............

Possibly,

Royal Holloway?
Bristol?

Will someone please help me to decide? Either say which of the 2 I should go for or give me another suggestion.

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Well, would you rather be spread out over a city or study in the countryside on a campus? Which course offers the modules you'd like to study? It could probably be argued that Bristol is more competitive, but RHUL seems to be in high demand this year, especially for Psychology. Hope this helped a little bit !
Reply 2
I'm sure I read somewhere that Bristol had 17 applicants per place for psychology last year (but strangely I can't seem to find it on the website anymore). If you're predicted AAB and are up against a majority of candidates with predicted grades of AAA or higher, you might not get fair consideration. Having said that, if you really like Bristol then there is no harm in applying. I can't comment on RHUL as it's not one I've looked into.
Reply 3
Original post by hayheyley
I'm sure I read somewhere that Bristol had 17 applicants per place for psychology last year (but strangely I can't seem to find it on the website anymore). If you're predicted AAB and are up against a majority of candidates with predicted grades of AAA or higher, you might not get fair consideration. Having said that, if you really like Bristol then there is no harm in applying. I can't comment on RHUL as it's not one I've looked into.

It's actually 22 places...

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/2010/sections/PSYC/247/admissions

Well Bristol are v. unlikely to give out any AAB offers this year, so if you think your not capable of AAA then I'd go for RHUL.
Reply 4
Original post by Noodlzzz
It's actually 22 places...

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/2010/sections/PSYC/247/admissions

Well Bristol are v. unlikely to give out any AAB offers this year, so if you think your not capable of AAA then I'd go for RHUL.

So it is. I don't know where I got 17 from then, my bad.
Reply 5
Original post by hayheyley
So it is. I don't know where I got 17 from then, my bad.

Maybe it was 17 the year before because Ive heard that too
Reply 6
Original post by Pheebs1201
Maybe it was 17 the year before because Ive heard that too

I swear it was 17 like 3 weeks ago :confused: 17 / 22 either way is FML really.
Reply 7
Original post by Noodlzzz
I swear it was 17 like 3 weeks ago :confused: 17 / 22 either way is FML really.

This.

I wish I'd known 22 and that the fees would rise BEFORE I applied, then I wouldn't have bothered :frown:
Reply 8
RHUL requires a B in maths... based on that: apply to Bristol.
Reply 9
OK so my predicted grades are AAB

The B (Biology) is a bit harsh as I was only a few marks of an A that I think I will make up when I re-sit the practical so hopefully I will get an A!

Heh, same thing happened to me for my biology except my teacher allowed me to have a predicted grade of A (if I get 86 UMS on the next exam I'll be on an A).
Assuming you are interested in biology you may like RHUL as they focus on neuroscience and biology quite a bit. :smile: The university also has a beautiful campus if you prefer a campus in the countryside to a city. ^^

Quick Reply

Latest