Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Journalism Society

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oggz)
    What are the best courses to do for scientific journalism?
    This is the only one I've come across (though I haven't been looking for them, to be fair)... Since it's science-specific and at Imperial, I imagine it'd be rather good. It also seems to cover a lot of other stuff, not just journalism, so would leave your career options more open too...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Open University's MSc in Science and Society will be excellent as it looks at the OU's own methods of educating the nation in science.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I'm taking the NCTJ aptitude test tomorrow via. Brighton's Journalist Works, but I have no idea how it works really so I'm just hoping I do OK.

I was just wondering how people recommend getting work experience? I've applied to big national magazines (wasn't expecting much to be honest), I'm about to start writing for my uni magazine, and I'm writing some articles for the launch of my friend's website. What else would you recommend I do? I really really want a career in journalism so I want to make sure I stand the best possible chance!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Who wants group leader? I'm going to be leaving the group.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to be leader, but thought it'd be nice to revive this thread a little as it's a bit dead!

I have some exciting news - I went to News Associates last Monday for an interview and entrance exam, and I managed to get an offer (despite not even feeling like I did that well!)... So I'll be starting their NCTJ Fast-Track Journalism Diploma in September
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mimimimi)
    I don't want to be leader, but thought it'd be nice to revive this thread a little as it's a bit dead!

I have some exciting news - I went to News Associates last Monday for an interview and entrance exam, and I managed to get an offer (despite not even feeling like I did that well!)... So I'll be starting their NCTJ Fast-Track Journalism Diploma in September
    Well done!
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone :wavey:

I'm interested in journalism and have done some in the past (in fact not too long ago). I was just wondering, does anyone know where I can do paid freelance work? And good websites, not scam ones?

Please quote me so that I can see your response. I need to know asap!

Thanks

• 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    Well done!
    Thanks Just need to sort out a placement now! Eep!
    • 91 followers

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I've kinda lost my passion for journalism now. I got rejected from 2 prestigious training courses, and after that I've felt too deflated to carry on trying. I no longer feel inspired to update my blog much, nor do any more unpaid freelance writing work, and I've been feeling this way for ages now. Which is quite bad tbh cos I don't even really know what else I should do as a career
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    I feel like I've kinda lost my passion for journalism now. I got rejected from 2 prestigious training courses, and after that I've felt too deflated to carry on trying. I no longer feel inspired to update my blog much, nor do any more unpaid freelance writing work, and I've been feeling this way for ages now. Which is quite bad tbh cos I don't even really know what else I should do as a career
    :console:
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    Hi everyone :wavey:

I'm interested in journalism and have done some in the past (in fact not too long ago). I was just wondering, does anyone know where I can do paid freelance work? And good websites, not scam ones?

Please quote me so that I can see your response. I need to know asap!

Thanks

Anyone?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be spending a week doing work experience with the books pages of The Times in the summer - really excited about it! - does anyone know what I should expect?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I'm currently on an NCTJ course at Journalist Works in Brighton. If anyone would like to know anything about this specific course, or the NCTJ in general, from someone studying for it right now, feel free to ask me anything you like!

I also have a blog where I'm explaining what we're up to, if you want a taste of what it's like to train to be a journalist: http://soupdujournalism.wordpress.com

Thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quail)
    Hello!

I'm currently on an NCTJ course at Journalist Works in Brighton. If anyone would like to know anything about this specific course, or the NCTJ in general, from someone studying for it right now, feel free to ask me anything you like!

I also have a blog where I'm explaining what we're up to, if you want a taste of what it's like to train to be a journalist: http://soupdujournalism.wordpress.com

Thanks
    Well you're a busy bee aren't you! I've only recently found out about the NCTJ courses so I'm sure your blog is going to be useful for me and other people interested in them, so thanks

I have a question though - do you find it hard to delegate your time between your university work, blog posts and your NCTJ course? How do you manage to organise yourself? I'm sorry if you have already answered this question on your site!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flan!)
    Well you're a busy bee aren't you! I've only recently found out about the NCTJ courses so I'm sure your blog is going to be useful for me and other people interested in them, so thanks

I have a question though - do you find it hard to delegate your time between your university work, blog posts and your NCTJ course? How do you manage to organise yourself? I'm sorry if you have already answered this question on your site!
    Hello!

To be honest, when there was a crossover of a couple of weeks between finishing uni work and starting the NCTJ course, it was a bit of a nightmare. This particular course is quite intense too, as it's only 14 weeks long, but if I can manage it, anyone can! The blog posts only take about 15 minutes to bang together, so those are fine

Are you thinking of taking an NCTJ course then?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Spending a month in Edinburgh writing for the Fringe Fest ^____^

(Original post by LeSacMagique)
    I'm going to be spending a week doing work experience with the books pages of The Times in the summer - really excited about it! - does anyone know what I should expect?
    WOW! How did you get that!? That's amazing! Congrats!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colour Me Pretty)
    Spending a month in Edinburgh writing for the Fringe Fest ^____^

WOW! How did you get that!? That's amazing! Congrats!
    I'm actually doing this placement right now funnily enough There's this poetry translation competition that's sponsored by The Times, and I came second in it last year. The literary editor was at the prizegiving reception in London and I briefly met her there, so a few days later on a whim I sent her an email asking if there was any chance they'd have any work experience placements over the summer--turns out, they did!

I think there are more legit ways of getting in on it, though. Google a bit, I think there's an email address you can send applications to.
    • 91 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quail)
    Hello!

Thanks
    I applied for that same course last year but got rejected. They didn't even tell me why, which kinda sucks cos how am I supposed to know exactly how to move on from there? I'm guessing they either thought I couldn't handle it, my entrance exam results were crap, or they thought I wasn't passionate enough. Or all three.

I'm guessing you have to be super passionate and talented and always hard working to be a journalist, and I don't think I have those right qualities :sigh:. I do still quite like writing, but just got to find other ways of using it that would suit me better.

Good luck to you though. I had a quick look at your blog and you seem rather good at what you do :top:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I post this in the hope that this thread is not dead yet...

Anyway, I have a few questions that I hope you lot can answer :confused: . Here they are:

1) What website would you recommend to use for blogging?

2) What would be the best topic(s) to blog about?

3) Should I start building a portfolio from now, even though I will only start sixth form in September?

4) Would it be better to go for a BA in Newspaper Journalism or a BA in a single subject like English or History for example, and followed by a Postgraduates course in Journalism?

And, erm, thank you in advance.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KnowledgeHunter)
    I post this in the hope that this thread is not dead yet...

Anyway, I have a few questions that I hope you lot can answer :confused: . Here they are:

1) What website would you recommend to use for blogging?

2) What would be the best topic(s) to blog about?

3) Should I start building a portfolio from now, even though I will only start sixth form in September?

4) Would it be better to go for a BA in Newspaper Journalism or a BA in a single subject like English or History for example, and followed by a Postgraduates course in Journalism?

And, erm, thank you in advance.
    1) It depends on your level of computer ability. Blogger and Wordpress are good because they are simple, and are the most popular.

2) Politics, travel, books, films, university. Most blogs are pretty boring because they're too wishy-washy and general. I'm not saying you have to do a specific topic solely, but include interesting and thought-provoking stuff, rather than just 'What it's like to be student'.

3) 'Don't be a writer. Be writing' (William Faulkner). If you want to write stuff, then write stuff. Keep a record in case you want to use it for university entrance, etc.

4) Do your undergraduate degree in English/History/whatever, and then do a postgrad in journalism. a) you might not want to be a journalist three years down the line, b) university should be about more than preparing you for a career, study something broader than journalism, and c) I've seen on and off record testimonials form employers/journalists stating that this route would be better.

Oh, and finally: don't do newspaper journalism specifically. Newspapers won't be around for much longer. If you have a course in Journalism, then you would be able to write for papers as well. If you have a course in Newspaper Journalism, the impression is that you wouldn't be able to write anything else. Not necessarily true, but that's the impression it gives.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 26, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.