The Student Room Group

Ireland should be under British Rule says Irish MP

Reply 1
"Under British rule" is a rather loaded way of saying "part of the United Kingdom": it implies some sort of colonial relationship.

In general, I have no problem with it. Don't think it's remotely realistic though, and this Deputy most likely had his tongue firmly lodged in his cheek when he was making this speech. Still, there are genuine Irish Unionists out there.
I just came.

Sticky keyboard, hold on:

aw[efk1234567890-12/qrwetweryuiop[]#';lkjhgfdsa\zxcvbnm,./0erkgdsfpogr0e0w0WJGWJ0GJ00aw[eawpkoefka]gaew
g
wegawweg]g]#aw]#eg-4rsno

Done.
The fact that he's using it as sarcasm shows what a ridiculous prospect that is and could ever be.
Reply 4
Original post by amiparanoid
The fact that he's using it as sarcasm shows what a ridiculous prospect that is and could ever be.

Well, it certainly happened for over a century. :tongue:

Unrealistic, perhaps, but I certainly don't see anything to object to in it.
Reply 5
Things are stable and relatively conflict-free at the moment, so I don't think it would be wise to include the ROI in the UK and possibly ignite old arguments. Besides, it would just burden all the rest of the UK with Ireland's incredible debt problem, so I don't think many people will be in favour.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by L i b
Well, it certainly happened for over a century. :tongue:

Unrealistic, perhaps, but I certainly don't see anything to object to in it.

Yes, I seem to remember the Irish being very content with it. No trouble at all.
(edited 13 years ago)
Non-story
The TD (not MP- Irish people say TD) said this comment in a sarcastic manner when criticizing the gov over the economic crisis they have created in Ireland.
Any unionists in the Republic are generally old people, no young people in the country think about being under colonial rule ever again.
Mayo and its older people are primitive. I've lived there and know that inflammatory and insensitive comments like this are commonplace sadly... though there is hope, no persons below 30 even think in this dimension any more.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by $tar£reaker
Any unionists in the Republic are generally old people, no young people in the country think about being under colonial rule ever again.

Ireland wasn't under any sort of 'colonial rule' after 1801 (and even before that it is debatable whether the relationship was a colonial one - Ireland was legally an independent kingdom), that's not what was suggested nor what any Unionists (note the 'union' part) want.

As for 'no young people' - in recent years there was (is?) a Unionist Society at Trinity College Dublin, which drew members from both North and South and gained the support of the UUP, DUP and even got some nice chaps from the TCD Sinn Fein Association to sign the the petition required to create a university affiliated group.
Given English, then British, actions in Ireland for hundreds of years, I can't see the Irish wanting this. They fought a war of independence and a civil war to remove the British.
Not going to happen unless Ireland really goes to the dogs, at the moment it's just going through a rough patch.

I wouldn't be opposed to it, in fact I think it would be a good thing, but it's not going to happen.
Original post by L i b
Ireland wasn't under any sort of 'colonial rule' after 1801 (and even before that it is debatable whether the relationship was a colonial one - Ireland was legally an independent kingdom), that's not what was suggested nor what any Unionists (note the 'union' part) want.

As for 'no young people' - in recent years there was (is?) a Unionist Society at Trinity College Dublin, which drew members from both North and South and gained the support of the UUP, DUP and even got some nice chaps from the TCD Sinn Fein Association to sign the the petition required to create a university affiliated group.

soooo they aren't young now

also, they could have all been mature students...
:banghead::facepalm2::facepalm:
Original post by Lewis :D

[QUOTE=Lewis [excludedFace]biggrin[/excludedFace];28301079]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11652926
Discuss?

You what? :lolwut: Like his opinion counts anyways. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I can really see this happening...
Reply 15
lol @ the Republic's economy. What a fail.

At least us up north have the sense to stick with a winner.

Sinn Feiners must be raging...another of the very few reasons for reunification blew away in the space of a year. Thanks recession!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending