The Student Room Group

HMV Interview

I have applied for lots of jobs xmas temps, part time, full time etc and had no luck until today. Got a call from HMV offering me an Interview, I have not had an interview for a long time so I am a bit out of practice.

Has anyone had an Interview for a Xmas Temp at HMV this year? What sort of things did they ask, was it the usual sort of question or were there any questionnaires about the current charts? Also I have read that some people have had group interviews, I assume they would tell you on the phone if this was the case?

I am thinking of wearing smart trousers and a shirt but the only jacket I have is a Leather one and my only shoes are New Rocks lol, however all the HMV's I have been in seem quite relaxed on appearance providing you are smartish.

So any idea what I can expect, being my first interview for a long time I am quite nervous, I do have some background knowledge on the company anyway and it is one I am particulaly interested in working in. Also roughly how long did the interview last and how long till they got back?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah! I just go offered a job there :h:
When I went in I was told to choose a product I really loved, because I was going to have to talk about it/sell it to the interviewers.
I chose a Green Day album (apparently they don't like it when people choose games).

After selling the album to them, they just asked what my interests were and we talked a bit about Gears of Wars, then about what movies I liked. It was very relaxed, it was just like chatting to someone.

I was wary about dressing to smartly for it, although I just went all out and looked all professional. It worked :cool:
I wouldn't wear New Rocks though...try get some smarter shoes.
Reply 2
Original post by chemical_bex
Yeah! I just go offered a job there :h:
When I went in I was told to choose a product I really loved, because I was going to have to talk about it/sell it to the interviewers.
I chose a Green Day album (apparently they don't like it when people choose games).

After selling the album to them, they just asked what my interests were and we talked a bit about Gears of Wars, then about what movies I liked. It was very relaxed, it was just like chatting to someone.

I was wary about dressing to smartly for it, although I just went all out and looked all professional. It worked :cool:
I wouldn't wear New Rocks though...try get some smarter shoes.

Did they quiz you on what was in the charts etc? Also was it just the manager interviewing you or other people as well? What did you say about the album? Also why don't they like you trying to sell games?

How long till they got back to you?

Also which area is the branch at you got the job in if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by CaptainHowdy
Did they quiz you on what was in the charts etc? Also was it just the manager interviewing you or other people as well? What did you say about the album? Also why don't they like you trying to sell games?

How long till they got back to you?

Also which area is the branch at you got the job in if you don't mind me asking?

No, they didn't ask anything like that. They did ask about if I was aware of any offers, I just said the 2 for £10, I couldn't think of anything else :dontknow:
It was the assistant manager and another staff member, I just said that I chose that album because it's my favourite band, and that particular album had an array of songs on it, some unique to that album...(International Superhits)

I had the interview on a Saturday and they got back to me on Monday morning, pretty swift!
It's in Inverness, but it's a fairly sized store, and definitely one of the busiest stores in our 'city'

Oh an I don't know why, that's just what an ex employee told my boyfriend before my interview :p: It's not that they don't like you selling games, but the don't like you choosing that to take into your interview :smile:
Reply 4
No, they didn't ask anything like that. They did ask about if I was aware of any offers, I just said the 2 for £10, I couldn't think of anything else :dontknow:
It was the assistant manager and another staff member, I just said that I chose that album because it's my favourite band, and that particular album had an array of songs on it, some unique to that album...(International Superhits)

I had the interview on a Saturday and they got back to me on Monday morning, pretty swift!
It's in Inverness, but it's a fairly sized store, and definitely one of the busiest stores in our 'city'

Oh an I don't know why, that's just what an ex employee told my boyfriend before my interview :p: It's not that they don't like you selling games, but the don't like you choosing that to take into your interview :smile:

Thanks for the help, the manager called me for my interview so I know he should be there, will let you know if there is anyone else.

So you pick something from the shop before you go in or do you just have to talk about it when your in there?

The one I have applied to is in Birmingham and is rather large lol. I have swotted up on the charts they have on their page and the company history etc, I forgot how stressful interviews could be lol :smile:
Thanks for the help, the manager called me for my interview so I know he should be there, will let you know if there is anyone else.

So you pick something from the shop before you go in or do you just have to talk about it when your in there?

The one I have applied to is in Birmingham and is rather large lol. I have swotted up on the charts they have on their page and the company history etc, I forgot how stressful interviews could be lol :smile:

Yeah, they give you a few minutes to pick up something, and you take it through with you.
Don't be stressed, I mean my interview was ridiculously laid back, they didn't ask anything about the company, just what music I liked, what games I played, what movies I liked and if I liked going to gigs. It was really casual. :smile:
Reply 6
Yeah, they give you a few minutes to pick up something, and you take it through with you.
Don't be stressed, I mean my interview was ridiculously laid back, they didn't ask anything about the company, just what music I liked, what games I played, what movies I liked and if I liked going to gigs. It was really casual. :smile:

Phew I feel a bit better about it now, I was reading up on other peoples experiences from last year and a lot were how they got these questionnaires about what was in the charts who had an album title such and such, some had group interviews (which I am not keen on lol), it sounds a bit like an interview I had for CEX a couple of years back where we walked over to the pub lol.

So do you just discuss the item you pick or is it like a sales pitch sort of thing? Do they do the usual questions of why you chose that company and tell us about a time where you dealt with a difficult customer and how you resolved the issue? Lol I hate those questions, I tend to have my answers all figured out beforehand (as you've probably guessed from me asking so many questions).

What can I say I like to be prepared :redface:
Phew I feel a bit better about it now, I was reading up on other peoples experiences from last year and a lot were how they got these questionnaires about what was in the charts who had an album title such and such, some had group interviews (which I am not keen on lol), it sounds a bit like an interview I had for CEX a couple of years back where we walked over to the pub lol.

So do you just discuss the item you pick or is it like a sales pitch sort of thing? Do they do the usual questions of why you chose that company and tell us about a time where you dealt with a difficult customer and how you resolved the issue? Lol I hate those questions, I tend to have my answers all figured out beforehand (as you've probably guessed from me asking so many questions).

What can I say I like to be prepared :redface:

I just said why I liked that album, and it was a kind of sales pitch but it was really easy since it was something I loved (they had to tell me to stop talking :p:) You have 30 seconds I think. They asked if I could think of a time I had received good customer service, and I said at Argos buying a deep fat fryer (lol) I asked to see pretty much all of them out of the box and they were really good about it.
But yeah I was prepared for those sort of questions asking about my experiences, but they never came up. :dontknow:

Your CEX interview sounds great :biggrin:
Reply 8
I just said why I liked that album, and it was a kind of sales pitch but it was really easy since it was something I loved (they had to tell me to stop talking :p:) You have 30 seconds I think. They asked if I could think of a time I had received good customer service, and I said at Argos buying a deep fat fryer (lol) I asked to see pretty much all of them out of the box and they were really good about it.
But yeah I was prepared for those sort of questions asking about my experiences, but they never came up. :dontknow:

Your CEX interview sounds great :biggrin:

Well I've done it lol.
Didn't get me to pick out anything, basically got asked why I wanted to work there, what my favourite album, game and film was then the hours I could work etc, got chatting about my old jobs and my college courses.
He said he liked my flexbility and I will find out wither Monday or Tuesday next week so fingers crossed. :smile:
Well I've done it lol.
Didn't get me to pick out anything, basically got asked why I wanted to work there, what my favourite album, game and film was then the hours I could work etc, got chatting about my old jobs and my college courses.
He said he liked my flexbility and I will find out wither Monday or Tuesday next week so fingers crossed. :smile:

Oh no, sorry for confusing you then! Every I know who had an HMV interview had to pick out something :colondollar:
Sounds good if they like that you're flexible, good luck! Fingers crossed :biggrin:
Reply 10
Oh no, sorry for confusing you then! Every I know who had an HMV interview had to pick out something :colondollar:
Sounds good if they like that you're flexible, good luck! Fingers crossed :biggrin:

It wasn't confusing, at least I was prepared for anything lol!

Well did not get that job as they said my interview was really good but I did not have the experience he wanted.
However I applied to another HMV closer to my home and I start in 2 weeks!!!

I have worked in retail before but just wondering what the induction is like. I know to take my details and I can wear pretty much whatever lol, but I really want to be kept on after christmas so trying to be really prepared so they want me to stay.

Obviously there's going to be health and safety as possibly a mini tour around the place but what else can I expect. I need to be there first thing but roughly how long do you reckon I will be there? Is it just an induction and then you start the next day or do they start you afterwards, also will I just be thrown in the deep end so to speak or will I shadow someone for a bit or them me just to get hang of the till and the cards etc.

Basically anything you can tell me to help me get even more prepared would be brilliant!
It wasn't confusing, at least I was prepared for anything lol!

Well did not get that job as they said my interview was really good but I did not have the experience he wanted.
However I applied to another HMV closer to my home and I start in 2 weeks!!!

I have worked in retail before but just wondering what the induction is like. I know to take my details and I can wear pretty much whatever lol, but I really want to be kept on after christmas so trying to be really prepared so they want me to stay.

Obviously there's going to be health and safety as possibly a mini tour around the place but what else can I expect. I need to be there first thing but roughly how long do you reckon I will be there? Is it just an induction and then you start the next day or do they start you afterwards, also will I just be thrown in the deep end so to speak or will I shadow someone for a bit or them me just to get hang of the till and the cards etc.

Basically anything you can tell me to help me get even more prepared would be brilliant!

Right, well basically, we had to fill in few forms at first, our details etc. Then we watched a dvd about the company, had to to do a wee quiz about age ratings and stuff. Then we got split into two teams and did till training/a tour of the place. Mine lasted from 6-8pm, so not long at all. They showed us the rota, some of us started next day, I didn't start till Monday, induction was on a thursday

I'm having fun working there now :biggrin: Hope you do too!
Reply 12
Right, well basically, we had to fill in few forms at first, our details etc. Then we watched a dvd about the company, had to to do a wee quiz about age ratings and stuff. Then we got split into two teams and did till training/a tour of the place. Mine lasted from 6-8pm, so not long at all. They showed us the rota, some of us started next day, I didn't start till Monday, induction was on a thursday

I'm having fun working there now :biggrin: Hope you do too!

Thanks so it will be a group thing then, (I assume I wasn't the only one to be taken on lol). Sounds pretty much like my other inductions.

Is that the only till training you get? So when you started were you basically just left to do it?
Thanks so it will be a group thing then, (I assume I wasn't the only one to be taken on lol). Sounds pretty much like my other inductions.

Is that the only till training you get? So when you started were you basically just left to do it?

I got another two hours when I started on the Monday, then they just made sure there was someone with experience on the tills same times as I was. I was all on my own today though! :biggrin:

Although, it's only really the girls that do the till work at my store, the guys are all on the shop floor/stock room :p:
Reply 14
I got another two hours when I started on the Monday, then they just made sure there was someone with experience on the tills same times as I was. I was all on my own today though! :biggrin:

Although, it's only really the girls that do the till work at my store, the guys are all on the shop floor/stock room :p:

Hopefully it won't be too bad, I have experience using the tills and a bit with the card machines although I'm sure it's a different type of machine that I have used lol.
Is this your first retail job?

It seems to be a mix in the store I will be in, I've seen both doing tills and in the back lol, they all seemed really friendly when I was waiting though :biggrin:
Hopefully it won't be too bad, I have experience using the tills and a bit with the card machines although I'm sure it's a different type of machine that I have used lol.
Is this your first retail job?

It seems to be a mix in the store I will be in, I've seen both doing tills and in the back lol, they all seemed really friendly when I was waiting though :biggrin:

Yeah, the tills in my store are really old fashioned, it's ridic. We had two touch screen ones, but we don't use them...you'll prob have better ones :p:

I've worked in retail before, but never on a till!
Reply 16
Yeah, the tills in my store are really old fashioned, it's ridic. We had two touch screen ones, but we don't use them...you'll prob have better ones :p:

I've worked in retail before, but never on a till!

I have used a touch screen till and also a really old one where you put everything in yourself and work out the change lol.
I'm pretty sure the ones I will be working with have the scanner and it's a touch screen, I hope so :smile:
Reply 17
Hi,

I have an interview tomorrow for HMV in oxford circus! :biggrin: Just wondering did any of you guys bring your CV along with you? Im wondering because you don't give it when you are applying!
Thanks!
Reply 18
Original post by Corcs
Hi,

I have an interview tomorrow for HMV in oxford circus! :biggrin: Just wondering did any of you guys bring your CV along with you? Im wondering because you don't give it when you are applying!
Thanks!

I always take mine with me as well as all my certificates etc lol, but they did not ask to see mine.

Good Luck for your interview!!!
Hi was wondering if anyone can help me, I applied for an xmas postion for warehouse in the hmv in the trafford centre at the beginning of this month, filled out the application on the 30th of september, got a phone call on the 1st of this month to go in on the 2nd for an interview, the interview went well, told them all about my experience etc..

they seemed happy enough and the interview went pretty quick, the manager told me i'll hear back with 2-3 days on an outcome...

however, it is now the 17th of october and im getting a little worried, now I've not received an email or a phone call, so I rang them on the 9th an a guy said their still holding interviews..

I just wanna no coz its been a place ive wanted to work since i was little, and im hoping to be kept on after the x max pieriod,

has anyone else had to wait like two weeks to hear back?

Im at a loss

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending