The Student Room Group

Would it be cheaper to go abroad for Uni?

So, in light of an article I just read, Unis from 2012 will have have to charge a minimum of £6,000 per annum, I was wondering if any other countries have lower tuition fees that British that are a lot less than the "new" British ones?
Reply 1
Probably not as you'll be an international student. International fees are generally outrageous.
Reply 2
Original post by JDI
Probably not as you'll be an international student. International fees are generally outrageous.

Argh :/
Reply 3
It's free in Finland and other Scandinavian countries for EU students I think. The language might be a problem though as they don't have many programs taught in English.
Reply 4
Run away to Scotland and become Scottish. Then you might be ok. But then they do speak a pretty funny language there too. :biggrin:
Assuming you're speaking about English speaking countries abroad, the prices are:

US Unis - about $50,000 each year
Canadian - about £18,000 each year (35,000 Canadian dollars, or something like that)

And I think Aussie and New Zealand unis are pretty similar too.

So in short, no.
You probably can find some places but you'd have to think outside the box. Europe would be the best bet or South Africa, although choose carefully in SA as there is a big gulf in quality between Wits/UCT/Stellenbosch (international class) and a lot of the others.
Might be a pack of lies but I read that degrees from international institutions are much less respected in Britain than British ones. It might be cheaper going abroad but if you plan on coming back it might not be so good...
Reply 8
Original post by Lewis :D
So, in light of an article I just read, Unis from 2012 will have have to charge a minimum of £6,000 per annum, I was wondering if any other countries have lower tuition fees that British that are a lot less than the "new" British ones?

If going elsewhere within the EU is an option for you language-wise, that would most likely work out cheaper than doing a degree in the UK, even including the extra travelling costs etc. If you were thinking about other English-speaking countries (where you'd be classified as an international student), though, then it probably wouldn't.
Reply 9
Original post by MagicNMedicine
You probably can find some places but you'd have to think outside the box. Europe would be the best bet or South Africa, although choose carefully in SA as there is a big gulf in quality between Wits/UCT/Stellenbosch (international class) and a lot of the others.

With international fees one will not be saving a great deal, at least at UCT which is SA's most expensive university.

International tuition fees will come to around R60000, room and board another R40000, thats around 8000 pounds in total. Then add in the cost of the flights, plus day to day spending money.
Original post by mike9999
With international fees one will not be saving a great deal, at least at UCT which is SA's most expensive university.

International tuition fees will come to around R60000, room and board another R40000, thats around 8000 pounds in total. Then add in the cost of the flights, plus day to day spending money.

UCT was always very pricey but Stellenbosch is pretty cheap. You could rent rooms in Stellenbosch for about R400 a week when I was there a couple of years back.
Yes, it probably would work out cheaper.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending