The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I love my course, but hate the stress haha. At the moment I've had time management issues and motivation issues, but overall I do enjoy it. The social side doesn't really bother me much, me and my mates don't really go clubbing as such, more likely outings to the pub after lessons and stuff. And I'm not really doing the degree for a job, I don't even know what I want to do for definite when I leave.

I do love being a student though :smile:
Yep, love it. :biggrin:

I have a constant stream of work and class tests to revise for, several lectures that I go to and always end up wishing I'd stayed in bed for an extra hour instead because it would have been a better use of my time, and lectures I come out of having not understood one bit of it, and a few other things I'd like a good moan about (like our freezing maths lecture room and shambles of a chemistry lab last week), but overall, still love it.

I love Cardiff, my social life is good, all my lecturers so far are excellent and I'm doing quite well in all my modules, so all in all things are going quite swimmingly.
Yes I do.
I'm loving it!
Reply 24
Original post by leapingfrog
I was wondering more how people actually felt about their subjects, because I am wondering recently if I am finding it really so fascinating, and it made me curious as to whether everyone else is really fascinated by their subjects.

Thanks for the responses.

I know what you mean. Im doing Eng lit and I do really love it, on the whole, but at the same time I'm having doubts.
I think the main issue for me is that because it's first year, they're teaching the basics to get everyone up to date...
That said, I've found that I'm enjoying the language and history modules in my course a lot more than the plain literature modules. I think the main reason that I find them so interesting is because I didn't study Eng lang at A level so the whole module is really new to me and the history module is about how language has developed.
Reply 25
I've basically been a student since Moses was a lad, but anyway...

Like:

Being able to do things mostly at my own pace

Nights out whenever we feel like it, without having to worry about being up at 7:30am for work; most working adults have their big nights on Friday and Saturday

Meeting like minded people your own age

I'm liking my course more than I thought I would, as it turns out :smile:

Independence and freedom - my parents wouldn't necessarily approve of me rolling in at 4am from the pub

Dislike:

Erratic and inconsistent timetabling can get irritating and make it hard to get things done if there's pockets of wasted downtime throughout the day

Often worked hard, but unpaid and unappreciated

Many people have severe money worries (not me, thankfully)

Unbalanced workloads and difficulty gradients - first year is usually a waste of time and money whereas in your final year you can be working 12 hours a day just to pass

University social life is good until you reach second year or so, then the work gets ridiculous and you probably won't have time to take advantage of any of it

Borked body clock as a result of the timetabling and workloads. It's nearly impossible to keep in a sensible sleep schedule when you have nothing to get up for

Exams (thank Christ my MSc doesn't have any :woo:) - they're utterly pointless and most people forget all their revision the second it's pens down

Quite a few people I know actually prefer the world of work :redface: - at least you get paid and generally have your evenings and weekends free instead of plugging away at coursework and endlessly revising.
(edited 13 years ago)
People - Yes

Area - No :nothing: ...too grassy for my liking
Reply 27
I'm loving the social side. The people I've met are definitely going to be friends for life. I love the independence although not so much washing up, washing clothes ect. I love living in London and the amazing people who're in my uni.

My course is okay. It's harder than I anticipated and my own work ethic is poor to say the least. The workload is large and I struggle occasionally. Some subjects are dry as all hell (EU Law...) but some are quite interesting. So yeah. Mostly social side, because I've met epic people. But overall it's pretty good on both counts.
hey rob1000, hows the social scene going, seen any improvements yet?
Reply 29
Original post by Curiouspidgeon
hey rob1000, hows the social scene going, seen any improvements yet?

2010 thread, now closed. Rob1000 hasn't been on TSR for years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending