The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield Accommodation

Heyy guys, I have an offer for Sheffield, and I think I'll be putting it as my insurance. Just want to get some opinions on the accommodation other than Endcliffe in case I end up failing to get into my firm and have to get whatever is left of the accommodation for Sheffield! So basically, what do you think of the other halls; pros and cons, and more importantly, do you have any pictures :teeth:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you apply for Endcliffe you'll probably get it, or Ranmoor, even if Sheffield is your insurance. Ranmoor is basically a smaller version of Endcliffe just up the hill. The rooms are the same and it has all the same facilities, so there's no need to worry really. :smile:
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by Vickyy
If you apply for Endcliffe you'll probably get it, or Ranmoor, even if Sheffield is your insurance. Ranmoor is basically a smaller version of Endcliffe just up the hill. The rooms are the same and it has all the same facilities, so there's no need to worry really. :smile:

Problem is if they're both really popular won't they be filled up by August? Are they the only two? They both look amazing, and I'd hate to miss out on living at either if I went to Sheffield! :colondollar:
Original post by 99 Red Balloons
Problem is if they're both really popular won't they be filled up by August? Are they the only two? They both look amazing, and I'd hate to miss out on living at either if I went to Sheffield! :colondollar:

Most people get offered one or the other if they pick them. Loads of people still get endcliffe on insurance choice too! There are more rooms than students that apply in most instances.

You also get Opal 2, its nice - en-suite etc. Slightly less social but still by no means crap. Thats the good thing about the accomodation here, there really isn't anywhere that vile anymore now Tapton has gone!
Original post by mollymustard
Most people get offered one or the other if they pick them. Loads of people still get endcliffe on insurance choice too! There are more rooms than students that apply in most instances.

You also get Opal 2, its nice - en-suite etc. Slightly less social but still by no means crap. Thats the good thing about the accomodation here, there really isn't anywhere that vile anymore now Tapton has gone!

That's alright then :biggrin: I just didn't want to be stuck somewhere horrible while everyone else was at the nice accommodation :redface: Endcliffe would definitely be my first choice though! Cheers for the reply :smile:
Reply 5
I'm a fresher at Sheffield this year, studying Politics. I applied for Ranmoor and got what I wanted, but Sheffield was my firm and Ranmoor is always undersubscribed

Seriously, there is nothing to worry about Accomodation-wise. Most people apply to Endcliffe (where there are like 3500 rooms) and if they don't get there, a vast majority will be put in Ranmoor, which is also really good (but a bit quieter, and has a reputation for being full of people who wanted Endcliffe).

But Ranmoor is pretty decent, and the whole village is brand new.

The City accomodation is also really good, Opal 2 has bigger rooms than the student villages and is slightly cheaper.

Wherever you end up living in Sheffield, you'll be happy, all the communities are really great tbh :smile:
Original post by sammyy1992
I'm a fresher at Sheffield this year, studying Politics. I applied for Ranmoor and got what I wanted, but Sheffield was my firm and Ranmoor is always undersubscribed

Seriously, there is nothing to worry about Accomodation-wise. Most people apply to Endcliffe (where there are like 3500 rooms) and if they don't get there, a vast majority will be put in Ranmoor, which is also really good (but a bit quieter, and has a reputation for being full of people who wanted Endcliffe).

But Ranmoor is pretty decent, and the whole village is brand new.

The City accomodation is also really good, Opal 2 has bigger rooms than the student villages and is slightly cheaper.

Wherever you end up living in Sheffield, you'll be happy, all the communities are really great tbh :smile:

Aaaah you're making me excited :biggrin:
Reply 7
What's the layout of the accomodation? :smile:
Reply 8
Really wouldn't worry about getting Ranmoor - I was so gutted when I found out it was where I'd been put but I absolutely love it.

In my halls (Ramshaw), there are two flats on every floor; 1 7-room female, 1 7-room male. I love that the flats here are single-sex (even though I applied for mixed) because we get on so well with the lads across, and we leave our main flat doors on the latch anyway so we just walk in and out when we like (and it's nice not to be living forever in the absolute squalor the boys have created!).
Original post by cymraesfach
Really wouldn't worry about getting Ranmoor - I was so gutted when I found out it was where I'd been put but I absolutely love it.

In my halls (Ramshaw), there are two flats on every floor; 1 7-room female, 1 7-room male. I love that the flats here are single-sex (even though I applied for mixed) because we get on so well with the lads across, and we leave our main flat doors on the latch anyway so we just walk in and out when we like (and it's nice not to be living forever in the absolute squalor the boys have created!).

Haven't you had the security men round yet? Last year we had so many shocks from them barging in and shouting about burglars!
Original post by cymraesfach

Can I just ask how it works that you can have two flats on a floor? Does that just mean that it's one long hallway with two kitchens?
Original post by -honeybee-
Haven't you had the security men round yet? Last year we had so many shocks from them barging in and shouting about burglars!

Nope, no one's said anything! In fact we've hardly seen the security people, apart from in the first couple of weeks when there was a genuine fire alarm (someone burnt toast with the kitchen door propped open) and people got told off for reacting really slowly to the alarm, and that's it.
Original post by 99 Red Balloons
Can I just ask how it works that you can have two flats on a floor? Does that just mean that it's one long hallway with two kitchens?

No, the building is divided into wings, really. A and B wing. On the right is A wing, the left is B. You have a front door to the flat and behind that door is a short corridor with 8 doors, 7 being bedrooms, 1 being the kitchen.
Reply 12
Hello! I am living in Windgather Apartments in Ranmoor Village.
I originally applied for Endcliffe (as you do) but ADORE RANMOOR.
I have an ensuite and a lovely size room. My kitchen has 3 fridgefreezers and two of eveything else - MASSIVE.
Ranmoor is not 'up a hill' from Endcliffe... it is less than 5 minutes down the road, so don't worry about accessibility!
I have 11 people in my flat, 6 girls, 5 boys all non-smokers! Double-win.
I can show you photos of my room/kitchen if you like!

Beth x
Original post by sammyy1992
a vast majority will be put in Ranmoor, which is also really good (but a bit quieter, and has a reputation for being full of people who wanted Endcliffe)

But I'm guessing after about three weeks or so everyone has forgotten that Ranmoor was their second choice? :tongue:
Original post by LiamTheKook
But I'm guessing after about three weeks or so everyone has forgotten that Ranmoor was their second choice? :tongue:

From what I have heard most people seem to. After all, Ranmoor and Endcliffe are practically identical. The apartments are exactly the same basically, although in Ranmoor you often get larger mixed sex flats.
Original post by Bethanii
Hello! I am living in Windgather Apartments in Ranmoor Village.
I originally applied for Endcliffe (as you do) but ADORE RANMOOR.
I have an ensuite and a lovely size room. My kitchen has 3 fridgefreezers and two of eveything else - MASSIVE.
Ranmoor is not 'up a hill' from Endcliffe... it is less than 5 minutes down the road, so don't worry about accessibility!
I have 11 people in my flat, 6 girls, 5 boys all non-smokers! Double-win.
I can show you photos of my room/kitchen if you like!

Beth x

Please do :biggrin::colondollar:
Reply 16
Original post by Bethanii

I meant 'up the hill' as in when you're walking from Endcliffe itself to Ranmoor, not that Ranmoor is up a massive hill. Obviously they're both off the same road really. Just to clear up any confusion. :P
Reply 17
do you have to pay a deposit to secure accommodation? How much is it?
Original post by aprilterri
do you have to pay a deposit to secure accommodation? How much is it?

£150.
Reply 19
Original post by Peregrinum
£150.

thank you thats a lot cheaper than birmingham who ask for £550

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending