The Student Room Group
Original post by nuodai
Imagine A,B,C are numbers rather than sets. How would you arrange + and × in that expression to make it true? So think about how these relate to \cup and \cap.

Quite useless advice. Union distributes over intersection, intersection distributes over union [I seem to recall addition is not distributive over multiplication - sounds like that could be so].
Reply 2
Original post by DeanK22
Quite useless advice. Union distributes over intersection, intersection distributes over union [I seem to recall addition is not distributive over multiplication - sounds like that could be so].

I can't say I appreciate your sarcasm, but fair enough. It's not useless advice if only one solution is required, in which case I'd have thought the +,× analogy makes it easier to understand.

EDIT: Oh, the OP's updated the post. At first it had ? signs instead of the union/intersections, so I assumed it was plugging in ,\cap, \cup in a way that it works. Seems this isn't what the OP was asking.

Originally it said:
Let A, B and C be sets.

(A ? B) ? C = (A ? C) ? (B ? C)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by nuodai

EDIT: Oh, the OP's updated the post. At first it had ? signs instead of the union/intersections,

Sorry about that, I had the proper union/intersections symbols in my OP but when I posted it they become question marks.
Reply 4
Original post by little pixie
Sorry about that, I had the proper union/intersections symbols in my OP but when I posted it they become question marks.

You need to show that if xLHSx \in \text{LHS} then xRHSx \in \text{RHS} and vice versa. Think what it means for x to be in each side and then show that they're the same.

Latest