The Student Room Group

Why does this happen, it seems rather sexist to me.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
"A key that fits many locks is useful, a lock that opens for any old key isn't"
Historically, it was an economic consideration as much as a social one - in Victorian times particularly, with their emphasis on thrift and profit, you really didn't want your wife sleeping around because it would economically damage you.

I completely agree with you, OP. Patriarch bastards. :angry:
Original post by .Ali.
You're missing the point. I'm saying that if you believe sexism is okay, surely you believe those things are also? After all, they're all descrimination against a particular type of people, so if it's okay to discriminate againts one group, surely it's okay to descriminate againts the others?

I didn't say I believed in sexism, I just said, you feminists are too much. There just are double standards, it's just the way it is.

Watch this

Reply 63
Original post by Drunk Punx
ZOMG CONTRADICTION! Look love, you've got to be one of the most... Idk, uppity posters I've ever come across on here. Quite often your posts are riddled with contradictions such as the one above. You say you dislike sexism, so why is he more to blame than you? Because he's in the relationship? Nuh-uh, it doesn't work that way I'm afraid.
Just because he's the one in a relationship, it doesn't make it alright to tempt people away from their current partners.

And if you've done nothing wrong, then why do you care about the whole thing so much?

No that's not contradictory. He's more to blame because he's in a relationship and I'm not. "Tempt people away" LOL. They wouldn't go if they didn't want to, that's pathetic.

And because his girlfriend seems to be starting a vendetta against me at sixth form!
Reply 64
Original post by FaraxZeroIncome
I didn't say I believed in sexism, I just said, you feminists are too much. There just are double standards, it's just the way it is.

Watch this

I'm not a feminist. "That's just the way it is" what utter tosh! Women didn't used to have the vote, should we have left it because "that's just the way it is". Doublt standards aren't right.
Original post by .Ali.
I'm not a feminist. "That's just the way it is" what utter tosh! Women didn't used to have the vote, should we have left it because "that's just the way it is". Doublt standards aren't right.

They aren't "right", but they are there and what are you gonna do about it? :cool:
Reply 66
You're very well within your right to complain about this dichotomy. However men are subject to double standards surrounding sex too. If a drunk girl has sex with a sober guy, she is "taken advantage of" (or according to feminist orthodoxy "raped") however if a drunk guy has sex with a sober girl it is his responsibility and it is humorous. Also if an adult female abuses a male child (or adolesent) it is not viewed the same as an adult male abusing a female child, even though it has been proven to cause depression and mental disorders in boys too.

Also in regards to cheating, I've also noticed that guys tend to blame the "other guy" more than they blame their partner.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by FaraxZeroIncome
They aren't "right", but they are there and what are you gonna do about it? :cool:

Not much I can do on my own. I'd just like to know why, that's all.
Original post by .Ali.
Not much I can do on my own. I'd just like to know why, that's all.

There isn't a why, there's just a how, what are you gonna do about it and how.

That's it .
Original post by Sorani
Wow. Did a woman steal your bloke or do you just watch way too much TV?
Every guy I've gone out with has cheated on me. Two of them cheated on me with girls who were supposed to be my friends. That's why I don't have friends who are girls now.
Original post by maljebo
If a key opens many locks, then it is an amazing key,
If a lock is opened by many keys, then it is a **** lock.

See what i'm saying?

The crap you've just written is only exceeded by your signature.
Original post by Drewski
Wow, an original thread! This question has categorically never been asked before...

You really have nothing better to do than ask a bonecrushingly stupid question?

You're my best friend now! :biggrin:
Ts womens faultyou're the one labelling other girls as slags. We guys are different so what if
us guys praise other guys
Reply 74
Aah neg rep, how you do excite me so.
The thing is that a man that sleeps around has no respect for him self! when men are so easy in giving numbers I sometimes think 'You are not making me feel any special' if thats all it takes:biggrin:

SO me being a women and like many women think that men that sleep around are cheap yea their big ego amongst their mates about how many flings they had will not appeal to any decent women looking for a relationship!

so my point is that once a man has got a rep of a player then he is very rarely trusted by any female partner same as a slag. in the end the society of women and the society as a whole will make judgements of both paties players and slags.

P.S. when I know a man is a player the first thing I want to do is take him to get checked for STDs
Reply 76
So, you've honestly never seen a girl with a very short skirt/boobs spilling over the top of her shirt, and think "slag" automatically?
I'm not defending guys that sleep around/etc, because 99% of them will have no feelings for the girl and would rather leave and give a fake number then actually say "sorry, it was a one-night thing", which is more respectable. I've never understood why girls are called slags, but to be fair, it is pretty much always the guy that has to make the first move, and when a girl does, it's so surprising guys will usually say yes.To get a girl when you're a guy is far harder to do then for a girl to get a guy, so that's why their usually praised. Sexist, yes. But if more girls actually started a conversation, rather than wait for a guy to come over, then there would be far less people calling girls slags.
I only think a girl is if she slept with someone else during an existing relationship though. As for the guy getting let off easy, where do you live? The person in the relationship will get the blame most of the time. The other times, it was because of actions of another person that is the reason their blamed. If they know the other person in a relationship, then they shouldn't start flirting in the first place. However, the other person shouldn't respond.
Original post by .Ali.
I'm not a feminist, I just think this is grossly unfair. So what? So you think racism, homophobia, and ageism are acceptable too I guess?

What do you mean you're not a feminist? :facepalm2:
Reply 78
Original post by Mujeriego
What do you mean you're not a feminist? :facepalm2:

I don't believe men and women are "equal" as such, they're equal in value, but they're different and their differences should be celebrated, instead of trying to eradicate and make them the same.

I'm just against descrimination of either sex.
Reply 79
Society is weird. Deal with it.

There's plenty of things that are incredibly sexist towards men, too - like how a girl can say 'waah, he broke up with me and I feel so horrible!' and everyone treats the guy like he's the antichrist even if he'd done nothing wrong. Also when a girl says 'he raped me' people are going to be far more inclined to believe the girl than the guy regardless of whether he did it or not. If a guy says that a girl raped him? He gets no sympathy and people tell him that it was just sex, regardless of how it affects him negatively - and most if not all rape victims experience some sort of emotional or mental trauma. Just my two cents, this is small time in comparison to sexism towards men.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending