The Student Room Group

The UCAS 2011 Offers/Interviews thread for Access to HE students!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Flibbles
University: Cambridge (Wolfson)
Course: History
Date Application sent to UCAS: 14/10/10
Decision: Interview - 9/12/10
Offer Conditions: n/a
Your Reaction: Holy ****. After the initial shock of receiving the letter (and my access tutor hugging me) I'm now dreading the thought of the test - I've never done a timed written test in my entire life! Plus, my handwriting is hardly stellar. I'm hoping there's the option of typing it up, but that's wishful thinking.

Also received an offer from Bangor University - they only want a pass! Definitely going somewhere this year! :biggrin:

not to burst your bubble, mate. but all mature students get interviewed for cambridge. also, all applicants at my college got tested too.

good luck though :smile:!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by Est.
not to burst your bubble, mate. but all mature students get interviewed for cambridge. also, all applicants at my college got tested too.

good luck though :smile:!

No surprise there due to lack of predicted grades and all that; I got a rejection anyhoo. Still got Durham and York to hear back from and to be quite honest, I'd rather go to either of those after having visited Cambridge.
Reply 62
I completely dug out my account to post in this thread, that I've been watching with nothing but total fear since I submitted my application. :P

University: Portsmouth
Course: Psychology
Date Application sent to UCAS: 17/12/10
Offer received: 12/01/11
Decision: Conditional
Offer Conditions: Pass access course with 48 credits at merit or above; 20 of these in biology or psychology
Your Reaction: :smile: It's my final choice, but it might end up being my insurance.

I also applied to UCL, Bristol, Bath, and Royal Holloway. I'm expecting three rejections yet. :wink:
Reply 63
Original post by gaul
I completely dug out my account to post in this thread, that I've been watching with nothing but total fear since I submitted my application. :P

Offer Conditions: Pass access course with 48 credits at merit or above; 20 of these in biology or psychology
Your Reaction: :smile: It's my final choice, but it might end up being my insurance.

I also applied to UCL, Bristol, Bath, and Royal Holloway. I'm expecting three rejections yet. :wink:

Quite a steep order for an insurance. Distinctions and Merits only. Im always shocked when i read offers like this because Bristol state (although i've not seen evidence of this) that they require a minimum of 33 Credits at merit which is fairly easy, especially considering the prestige of the university.
Reply 64
I did telephone an odd 20 or so universities before I finalised my choices, and asked for their standard offers for access students. This is Portsmouth's standard offer.

I'm really not too worried about M/D only - I'm very easily on track for that at the moment (12 distinction credits, 3 merit), so out of 60 credits total 48 shouldn't be too bad at all.

I'm really confident that it's an offer I can meet, insurance or otherwise.

And you're right - that's the ballpark for Bristol's offer. UCL's standard offer for access students is 28 credits at distinction, and 32 credits at merit. THAT would frighten the living daylights out of me, but I still think it's attainable. :smile:
Reply 65
Original post by gaul

bloody hell.... 48@merit...

48@ merit or better is incredibly tough, especially for an insurance. I feel stressed about trying to achieve 25 distinctions for my first choice, but going by that I guess I am lucky really.
Reply 66
Original post by gaul

sorry mate but if youre applying for phsychology there is no need to do biology!
Reply 67
btw i got rejected for biomed at london met simply because they thought i have little science qualifications despite me having 2 Bs in GCSE double science.
Reply 68
Original post by 1chunk
sorry mate but if youre applying for phsychology there is no need to do biology!

Oh I know, but I just wanted an extra science under my belt. We had to choose 4 different subjects. :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by gaul
Oh I know, but I just wanted an extra science under my belt. We had to choose 4 different subjects. :smile:

That's strange, they allow you to choose which subjects you study in the access course ?

At our college, they have various courses for various students. So you'd do access to HE in psychology whereas someone applying for nursing would do access to HE in health science etc
Reply 70
Students at my college choose a pathway, and then they MUST take two subjects that are essential to that pathway. For example, access to social sciences (which is my one), I had to take Psychology and Sociology, and then I was free to choose the other two.

It's different for access to law, access to nursing, etc. :smile:

Access courses vary wildly across the country and between exam boards and colleges.
Reply 71
Hello all, think I belong here!

University: University of Birmingham
Course: BA Theology
Date Application sent to UCAS: 05/12/10
Offer received: 13/01/11
Offer Conditions: Pass access course with 45 level 3 credits of which 6 be distinctions and 6 be merits.
Your reaction: Thrilled is an understatement! I really expected to be left on the shelf this year so I'm still trying to adjust to the fact I have an offer. I'm also in shock over the very achievable conditions too.

I have also applied for Nottingham and Cambridge (Lucy Cavendish-March 2nd round).

Congratulations to all offer holders and best of luck to those still awaiting news.
Reply 72
Original post by katee85
Hello all, think I belong here!

University: University of Birmingham
Offer received: 13/01/11
Offer Conditions: Pass access course with 45 level 3 credits of which 6 be distinctions and 6 be merits.
Your reaction: Thrilled is an understatement! I really expected to be left on the shelf this year so I'm still trying to adjust to the fact I have an offer. I'm also in shock over the very achievable conditions too.

I have also applied for Nottingham and Cambridge (Lucy Cavendish-March 2nd round).

Congratulations to all offer holders and best of luck to those still awaiting news.

I wish they would hurry up and make me an offer!

Whats their standard A-Level offer for this course?
Reply 73
University: University of Salford
Offer Conditions: Pass access course with 30 credits at merit or above
Your reaction: Whoop!! Possible an insurance choice

University: Leeds Met
Offer Conditions: Pass access course
Your reaction: At least a back-up

University: University of Manchester
Decision: Interview!!!!!
Your reaction: Is this a pity interview or might they actually make me an offer? :s-smilie:
Reply 74
Original post by josh_v
I wish they would hurry up and make me an offer!

Whats their standard A-Level offer for this course?

A-level requirement is BBB. I have been searching for patterns/logic to the decision process but really can't work it out. The best I have is, considering how close we are to the UCAS deadline, I'd possibly been tagged as a 'maybe' pending better applicants coming along. Whatever the rationale, I'm grateful for the offer!

Console yourself with 'no news isn't bad news'? What are you applying to study?
Reply 75
Original post by katee85
A-level requirement is BBB. I have been searching for patterns/logic to the decision process but really can't work it out. The best I have is, considering how close we are to the UCAS deadline, I'd possibly been tagged as a 'maybe' pending better applicants coming along. Whatever the rationale, I'm grateful for the offer!

Console yourself with 'no news isn't bad news'? What are you applying to study?

Ive applied to Money, Banking and Finance (N300)

Yeh, i see no real pattern to offers, which makes it a lot harder to know where to apply.

After seeing people get offers for certain unis im left thinking that i should have applied to perhaps one 'top' uni.
Reply 76
Original post by ½+½
University: Bath
Course:
Pharmacology
Date Application sent to UCAS:
18/11/10
Decision:
Unsuccessful
Offer Conditions: N/A
Your Reaction: I'm not dissapointed or surprised.

:smile:

You have an interview from brighton uni for pharmacy thats lucky.
Reply 77
University: University of Westminister
Course: Business management (Marketing)
Date Application sent to UCAS: 06/01/11
Decision: Conditional Offer -
Offer Conditions: Pass access course with 45 level 3 credits at an average of Merit
Your Reaction: no biggie
Reply 78
University: University of Nottingham
Date received: 14/01/11
Decision: Interview
Your reaction: Excited and terrified in equal measure. Confused as I expected a straight rejection due to course entry requirements. Will give it my best but it feels more like a prolonged rejection then a glimmer of hope.
Reply 79
Hi all...I'm in my second year of an Access to HE (part time study) and sent my UCAS off on 30/11/10...have received two 'unsuccessfuls' but still waiting to hear from the other three....

Is anyone else still waiting after this long? When I called them up two of them (LJM and Sheffield Hallam) said my application was still in 'short listing' and the third (Manchester) stated that they deal with Access students differently and I wouldn't hear anything until late Feb :eek:

I've applied for children's nursing :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending