The Student Room Group

Mathematics MMath or Engineering Mathematics MEng?

I just don't know which one to pick. If I graduated with a Mathematics Degree, the only job I would be content with would be as an Actuary, which requires alot of effort and hard work. However, I can apply to be an Actuary with any degree. Infact, I could apply right after A2s, and study for their exams alongside University, so this makes me want to choose the Engineering Mathematics MEng course Bristol has instead. If I do this, it will still leave me the oppurtunity to become an Actuary, but it may also cause me to actually really enjoy Engineering as a potential career, instead of just thinking what I think about it at the moment, which is "it would be alright." That would be nice since becoming an Actuary definately isn't easy. :redface:

However, I don't really know if this is very respected degree that employers will consider because I haven't really heard much about it, and I'm just scared it will be useless to me against to all the graduates with specific Engineering degrees, like aerospace/aeronautics/mechanical etc. Taking these more specific Engineering courses is not an option for me because it requires physics, which I was pretty much forced to drop due to the poor quality of teaching in my school. At the moment I am taking Mathematics, Chemistry, and English language and Literature, hoping for A*AA.

Could anybody give me an insight into the Engineering Mathematics degree Bristol offer, and point me towards the right direction? :s-smilie:

Latest