The Student Room Group

Sociology - AQA Unit Three: Beliefs in Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by teaandcoffee

Original post by teaandcoffee
Do you use the nelson thornes textbook that I have put a picture up above ^

Cos I just flicked through that and it doesn't have Nanda, or many things...

Nope, i don't have a text book, i'm using a booklet put together by examiners instead. It has a fair bit on nanda, but I don't understand any of it seeing as we didn't go through it in class :/
I didn't even realise it was so important till tonight :/
Original post by Kristiipop
Nope, i don't have a text book, i'm using a booklet put together by examiners instead. It has a fair bit on nanda, but I don't understand any of it seeing as we didn't go through it in class :/
I didn't even realise it was so important till tonight :/

Second that.

Also, could you PM a copy of that booklet if it's online?
Original post by Noodlzzz

Original post by Noodlzzz
Second that.

Also, could you PM a copy of that booklet if it's online?

I only have a hard copy, sorry!
I only have a hard copy, sorry!

no worries :smile:
Reply 204
Could somebody please differentiate Leger ( Spiritual Shopping ) and Lyon ( Post Modernity ) and give me some examples of their theories.
Thanks
Anyone else strggle with introductions, if not can people advice me?? thanks
Reply 206
Original post by spammoclocks
Anyone else strggle with introductions, if not can people advice me?? thanks

Weve just been taught to define whatever it is youre going to talk about e.g. secularisation, globalisation, NRMs etc. Dont conclude in the intro (sounds stupid but its tempting to do it), and dont repeat the same things in the conclusion x
Original post by acroker1
Weve just been taught to define whatever it is youre going to talk about e.g. secularisation, globalisation, NRMs etc. Dont conclude in the intro (sounds stupid but its tempting to do it), and dont repeat the same things in the conclusion x

yeah I've been taught that too but still hasnt helped lol!
i was good at them in AS but now i'm rubbish lol
Reply 208
yeah I've been taught that too but still hasnt helped lol!
i was good at them in AS but now i'm rubbish lol

Maybe youre stressing too much about them, aslong as you include a definition or something of that sort, im sure you will be fine!
Anyone have an essay plan/model essay for Postmodernism?

I'll share mine, not sure how good it is like.

Postmodernism

- Theory that rejects ALL OTHER theories
- rejects the idea of universal values/universal truths. Society is too fragmented for universality.

1 - Society cannot be explained with reference to one meta-narrative. In the modern world, there are a number of 'truths'.

2 - Lyotard - Individualisation. Religion is very individualised. Personalised religious experiences. Religion is what an individual makes it. This relates to Madeline Bunting's concept of a DIY cocktail, or the concept of "pic 'n' mix" religion. In postmodern society, individuals can take a variety of religious/spiritual concepts to form their own spiritual experience. Some individuals will identify with a religion but only live by some of its concepts. Some Muslims flout the no-alcohol rule. Some Cathlolics use contraception. In a postmodern world, this is acceptable.

3 - Science is having an impact on society. The relativist viewpoint is an example of an attempt to find a balance between science and religion. Gould (1999) developed the concept of None-Overlapping Magesteria (NOMA), in which science and religion are different, and perform different functions for society. Science is descriptive, whilst religion is normative.

4 - Postmodernists believe that all classical explanations of religion are out of date.

5 - Foucault - Whilst not a PM himself, he argued that religion is a meta-narrative that has been pulled apart in a critical world. It is difficult to ask people to rely on faith itself. Possibly relate this to phenomenologist perspective which states that faith cannot be proved wrong therefore it is a crucial part of the plausibility structure. Society relies on it...

6 - Spiritual shopper. Multiculturalism. Religious pluralism. However, Johal (1998) - Non Christian religions are seen as fringe, therefore religious pluralism does not exist.

PMism does not recognise positive/negative aspects of religion.

It does not see religion as a force for change or as a conservative force.

It criticises the idea of universality yet PMism itself claims it is a universal truth...
Original post by acroker1
Maybe youre stressing too much about them, aslong as you include a definition or something of that sort, im sure you will be fine!

thanks
so, I read over the nanda stuff again, and it's still not making sense :frown: any help?
Reply 212
so, I read over the nanda stuff again, and it's still not making sense :frown: any help?

Nanda basically says that typically, science = rationalisation which = secularisation, but in India, the opposite has happened and the scientific middle-classes are now MORE religious than the people of India that are from rural backgrounds.

The explanation according to Nanda is that the increase of wealth due to the scientific education makes the middle-classes feel uneasy because they're Hindu and Hinduism traditionally is unmaterialistic. So, they become more religious instead of secular because they're worried about 'betraying' Hinduism and to legitimise their new found wealth and role in capitalism, they have reinterpreted bits of their own religion (through things like tele-gurus and paying for religious rituals) to give them "spiritual balance" - so they can carry on being Hindu and still allows them to continue with being wealthier and more scientific.

Hope that helps!
aparently science as a 33 marker came up in june 2010?? so it probs wont tomoro
Original post by Miahrose

Original post by Miahrose
Nanda basically says that typically, science = rationalisation which = secularisation, but in India, the opposite has happened and the scientific middle-classes are now MORE religious than the people of India that are from rural backgrounds.

The explanation according to Nanda is that the increase of wealth due to the scientific education makes the middle-classes feel uneasy because they're Hindu and Hinduism traditionally is unmaterialistic. So, they become more religious instead of secular because they're worried about 'betraying' Hinduism and to legitimise their new found wealth and role in capitalism, they have reinterpreted bits of their own religion (through things like tele-gurus and paying for religious rituals) to give them "spiritual balance" - so they can carry on being Hindu and still allows them to continue with being wealthier and more scientific.

Hope that helps!

thank you so much! :smile:
Reply 215
thank you so much! :smile:

No problem!
The textbooks make it so much more complicated than it needs to be!
Reply 216
I just realised the 9 mark and 18 mark are always related because item A is about the first 2 questions...the box wont be random like science then social change....9 and 18 could be on secularisation and globalisation?
Reply 217

you say for fundementalism, Giddens sees fundementalism and cosmopolitanism. and link that into Bruce who sees the main cause of fundementalism is because traditional religions are under threat by globalisation....
(This can then bring you to cultural defence)
make an example about the pro-Western regime for Iran they became the focus for resistance to change and to the Shah but they turned to religion and held state power to keep the Shah with the Islamic Shari's Law. You could also put in the example of the Koran which happened about 6 months ago...
(this can be linked to Clash of civilisation)
you can talk about 9/11 in America and 7/7 in London. Also how thay are building a Mosque next to the World trade Centre ....
is that useful???

heyy yeah that was usefull but like u know the fundementalism and cosmpolitanism, how are those beliefs linked to global again?
Reply 218
Good luck everyone!!!
well, my sociology teacher said we "didn't have time" to learn globalisation. cracking.

i don't really understand what to include in social change? is it calvinism and stuff? i have no idea help!!:eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending