The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

What is KCL good for?

I would like to know the strong areas of KCL. Hopefully, they are more or less relevant to my intended course of study.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
War Studies and chasing lots and lots of beautiful foreign chocha.

Why else would one study in London? From Algerian to Zimbabwean, London offers an A-Z of flavors. Damn, n***a enjoy a buffet, you heard?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Thanks! War Studies is definitely related to my area of interest, International Relations! Hopefully, I would be able to read it with History.
Reply 3
Dont forget the chocha.
Reply 4
It's meant to be really good for Law too :smile:
Reply 5
Oh and Dentistry/Medicine I think.
Reply 6
Original post by llbros545

I would like to know the strong areas of KCL. Hopefully, they are more or less relevant to my intended course of study.

Humanities (History, English, Philosphy etc)
Law
Medicine
Reply 7
Original post by zyzz.
Humanities (History, English, Philosphy etc)
Law
Medicine

According to who/what??
Reply 8
Original post by mel0n

Original post by mel0n
According to who/what??

According to 'general prestige' if that makes any sense.
But also according to many subject league tables; in the Independent for example nearly all humanities subjects are top 10 in the country, though these need to be taken with a pinch of salt.
Reply 9
Original post by zyzz.
According to 'general prestige' if that makes any sense.
But also according to many subject league tables; in the Independent for example nearly all humanities subjects are top 10 in the country, though these need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I sort of understand what you're saying. I would say that their humanities ARE strong, but it's not really their strongest. Of course, some of them are probably better than others in terms of the quality but not all of the humanities are what KCL is really renowned for. Not trying to denounce your point, because I think general prestige of the university can itself make the courses at that university more attractive and 'prestigious' too. I'd say at the top, for KCL, is probably things like Law, War Studies, Medicine and Dentistry. History is apparently quite good here but I wouldn't know as I don't study it! Just my opinion :smile:
Is it really competitive for modern languages?
I know KCL's pretty good for Med but what about neurosci/biochem and the science-based stuff? Is KCL worth the effort of moving and living in London?:smile:
Only 31 for physics though.
Reply 13
KCL is only outstanding for Law and Medicine.

Forget anyone who tells you it's good for languages and humanities; go to UCL for that. Sure, it is good for those, but the real prestige is in the Law department.
War Studies

War at KCL, huh! What is it good for? Absolutely nothing...

This in no way reflects my opinion and I'm bastardising a song for my own amusement.
Reply 15
Maybe:

Law
War Studies
Psychiatry
Classics
Philosophy
Music
Dentistry
Medicine
Theology
Pharmacy
Neuroscience
Languages
Most Health Sciences
Business Management
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
LAW
Original post by JamesBlood
War at KCL, huh! What is it good for? Absolutely nothing...

This in no way reflects my opinion and I'm bastardising a song for my own amusement.

LAW! Huh! What is it good for...
Reply 18
Original post by LutherVan
Maybe:

Business Management

Could you please tell me why you think Business management is prestigious? What have you heard about it? I'm not trying to disagree or anything, I'm just curious!:smile:
Reply 19
Original post by ksanyee
Could you please tell me why you think Business management is prestigious? What have you heard about it? I'm not trying to disagree or anything, I'm just curious!:smile:

The course seems to be very popular, and competitive to get into, based on posts on TSR and since KCL is one of the top Unis in getting people into front office in IB, I figured the course would be a contributor.

Quick Reply

Latest