The Student Room Group

Orthoptics Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
helllloo,

i have another question... again :/
Is this visit day compulsory- because on the letter it only had 2 options that i could make:
1. i would like to attend the visit day on blah blah date.
2. i would not like to attend on this date and would like to withdraw my application.

I dont want to ask the Uni because it might put me into a negative light lol- but i have visited the Uni before and feel as if i know what im getting myself into if you know what i mean...
I live a long long way from liverpool and feel as if it would be a waste if i just hang around when i dont need to... any advice?
Reply 41
my letter says they strongly recomend you attend...

but if you've alredy got an offer then i dont think you have to go..but best thing would be to ask the uni...and think of a valid excuse for why you cant make it...

i dont really want to go but im going...because i dont know which uni ill end up going so need to get a good look just in case...if you get what i mean

hope i helped!

p.s. anyone going sheffield.this wednesday??
Reply 42
Original post by Zakir
my letter says they strongly recomend you attend...

but if you've alredy got an offer then i dont think you have to go..but best thing would be to ask the uni...and think of a valid excuse for why you cant make it...

i dont really want to go but im going...because i dont know which uni ill end up going so need to get a good look just in case...if you get what i mean

hope i helped!

p.s. anyone going sheffield.this wednesday??

Yeh I am, i'm assuming its still on because I think they've had really bad snow, but if the trains are running still then I should be going :smile:

I'm guessing its more formal than Liverpool because you havent got an offer yet and theres all that registration stuff as well. Or are you just going casual?
Reply 43
Original post by Nat :)
Yeh I am, i'm assuming its still on because I think they've had really bad snow, but if the trains are running still then I should be going :smile:

I'm guessing its more formal than Liverpool because you havent got an offer yet and theres all that registration stuff as well. Or are you just going casual?

im going a formal tbh...you never know what they're expecting!

see you there...
Original post by Calro_123
helllloo,

Is this visit day compulsory- because on the letter it only had 2 options that i could make:
2. i would not like to attend on this date and would like to withdraw my application.

I dont want to ask the Uni because it might put me into a negative light lol- but i have visited the Uni before and feel as if i know what im getting myself into if you know what i mean...
I live a long long way from liverpool and feel as if it would be a waste if i just hang around when i dont need to... any advice?

I can understand what you're saying. They show you round the department a bit more, go into the sort of things you cover first year, explain a few basic orthoptic bits and bobs, explain some bits and bobs about fees and things like that. Answer any questions you have, and you also can talk to some students and ask some questions from their point of view as supposed to the lecturers, oppurtunities to ask about placement and that sort of thing. It's completely up to you, like you've said, you already have an offer. I think it's a good idea for you to go, but it's really up to you, if you don't want to, feel it's pointless, then just email them or something? :s I wouldn't know what to suggest tbh? :smile:
Reply 45
what is everyone else wearing for this open day on the 8th of december? It says informal, but i don't want to turn up very underdressed.
and yes i think it is compulsory.
Reply 46
Original post by sarbak
what is everyone else wearing for this open day on the 8th of december? It says informal, but i don't want to turn up very underdressed.
and yes i think it is compulsory.

yes the sheffield one is but liverpool isnt compulsory...

im goin slightly formal...all black but my top is a shirt\jumper so doesnt look tooo formal...

hope i helped and see you there!
Reply 47
oh sorry, i misread the conversation.
i was debating whether to wear smart black trousers or leggings or something. i guess it does no harm to go smart.
yes it did help thank you, see you there.
Reply 48
Original post by sarbak
oh sorry, i misread the conversation.
i was debating whether to wear smart black trousers or leggings or something. i guess it does no harm to go smart.
yes it did help thank you, see you there.

Hiii im thinking of wearing skinny grey jeans and a floaty white top thing and brown boots, not formal but not scruffy i guess kind of smart casual. but itll be cold so we'll probably be in coats most of the time!
Is there anything people are revising before we go, im a bit worried that theyll spring a question on diabetes or something from the biology spec on us! :/

see you all tomorrow XXX
Reply 49
also, if any of you think you recognise me tomorrow say hi! ive got bleached blonde hair :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by foundintransmission
I can understand what you're saying. They show you round the department a bit more, go into the sort of things you cover first year, explain a few basic orthoptic bits and bobs, explain some bits and bobs about fees and things like that. Answer any questions you have, and you also can talk to some students and ask some questions from their point of view as supposed to the lecturers, oppurtunities to ask about placement and that sort of thing. It's completely up to you, like you've said, you already have an offer. I think it's a good idea for you to go, but it's really up to you, if you don't want to, feel it's pointless, then just email them or something? :s I wouldn't know what to suggest tbh? :smile:

thanks! yeah ive emailed them and they said it wasnt compulsory or anything so i dont have to go in the end! thanks for your advice though much appreciated :biggrin:

I also have another question (>.<) last one promise :smile:
im doing my resits at my old school which is about an hours drive from my house. Im afraid that i may need to drive there to get my results, and if, if, they are bad then i will need to go into clearing... alot of people can get places within 2hours of me driving- and theres no guessing the current number of people wanting a place for uni this year- as well as the minute few places there are for orthoptics!
Sooo, do they usually send the results to resit (external candidates) beforehand so they get it on the same day- how do they give out the results? last years ucas cycle saw people get places at record times for clearing- so my point is... can i arrange for my results to be collected at a nearer school (5mins away)- or do i have to travel that far to collect them and risk losing a place in clearing? :frown:
Reply 51
helllloo,

Hey!
I phoned Liverpool admissions and they said you do not have to go. All you have to do is print off the declaration of criminal background form off the uni website and send ti to them.
Hope this helps
Reply 52
Original post by Nams
Hey!
I phoned Liverpool admissions and they said you do not have to go. All you have to do is print off the declaration of criminal background form off the uni website and send ti to them.
Hope this helps

haha yeah i got sent an email by them saying i didnt have to go, but thanks anyway! xxx
And it's fine haha! Ask as many questions as you desire.
Erm, tbh I couldn 't tell you, surely that's more to do with your college and everything? and your area? Also, I don't think Liverpool orthoptics was in clearing this year? So don't assume it will be this year, always try and have a backup. All I can suggest is keep an eye on track, I was up til 4 waiting for it to update, and then got up at 5 to keep checking, it updated at 6 and said whether I'd been accepted or not. At least if you do that early in the morning you already know if you've been accepted, if you want to go into clearing, etc? Don't leave it til you've got to college and then suddenly think, ahhhh.
Other than that I don't know what to suggest here? I'm speaking purely from personal experience?

Just thought I'd say, I'm gunna be at the open day tomorrow, so have your questions at the ready! :p: Aisha is going to be there too. So see you all tomorrow! :smile:

thanks! yeah ive emailed them and they said it wasnt compulsory or anything so i dont have to go in the end! thanks for your advice though much appreciated :biggrin:

I also have another question (>.<) last one promise :smile:
im doing my resits at my old school which is about an hours drive from my house. Im afraid that i may need to drive there to get my results, and if, if, they are bad then i will need to go into clearing... alot of people can get places within 2hours of me driving- and theres no guessing the current number of people wanting a place for uni this year- as well as the minute few places there are for orthoptics!
Sooo, do they usually send the results to resit (external candidates) beforehand so they get it on the same day- how do they give out the results? last years ucas cycle saw people get places at record times for clearing- so my point is... can i arrange for my results to be collected at a nearer school (5mins away)- or do i have to travel that far to collect them and risk losing a place in clearing? :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 54
And it's fine haha! Ask as many questions as you desire.
Erm, tbh I couldn 't tell you, surely that's more to do with your college and everything? and your area? Also, I don't think Liverpool orthoptics was in clearing this year? So don't assume it will be this year, always try and have a backup. All I can suggest is keep an eye on track, I was up til 4 waiting for it to update, and then got up at 5 to keep checking, it updated at 6 and said whether I'd been accepted or not. At least if you do that early in the morning you already know if you've been accepted, if you want to go into clearing, etc? Don't leave it til you've got to college and then suddenly think, ahhhh.
Other than that I don't know what to suggest here? I'm speaking purely from personal experience?

Just thought I'd say, I'm gunna be at the open day tomorrow, so have your questions at the ready! :p: Aisha is going to be there too. So see you all tomorrow! :smile:

hey guys...

wont be coming to the open day tomorrow, got an exam :frown:

but i've been to the open day so i shouldnt miss too much.

anyway...hope you guys have fun!

and you Nic...have you're answers at the ready!!! :tongue:
Reply 55

Thanks nic, will do! I have to leave at 7 tomorrow morning t get there for 10:45! :frown:

I got an offer from Sheffield today!! yeeeeeeeey :biggrin:
first thing my dad said was 'are you gna get 3 B's' looovely!
Original post by Zakir
hey guys...

wont be coming to the open day tomorrow, got an exam :frown:

but i've been to the open day so i shouldnt miss too much.

anyway...hope you guys have fun!

and you Nic...have you're answers at the ready!!! :tongue:

Lmao, well I'd say I've answered plenty on here haha, there can't be much more surely =P
Original post by Louuub
Thanks nic, will do! I have to leave at 7 tomorrow morning t get there for 10:45! :frown:

I got an offer from Sheffield today!! yeeeeeeeey :biggrin:
first thing my dad said was 'are you gna get 3 B's' looovely!

God that's grim. Where do you live? It takes me an hour and a half to get uni and I live in Merseyside soo :p:
Oh exciting! Congrats! I didn't even care when I got my Sheffield offer xD
But yeah, I shall see you tomorrow :smile: Have fun travelling :p:
Hi! Hope everyone had a good day today and got home safe. Hope we all answered any questions you had and things, and as always, feel free to ask anything else in here :p:
Nic
Reply 58
Hey,
Just wanted to ask if anyone has already been to the open days to which the uni's call you in, if so can you give me an overview of what happens?
Is there any group interviews or anything?
I've been called to open days at both unis in Feb, so would just like to know exactly what i'll be expecting,

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Jazz_x
Hey,
Just wanted to ask if anyone has already been to the open days to which the uni's call you in, if so can you give me an overview of what happens?
Is there any group interviews or anything?
I've been called to open days at both unis in Feb, so would just like to know exactly what i'll be expecting,

Thank you :smile:

Hi! And welcome :smile:
As far as Liverpool goes, you have a few talks during the day, about the bursaries and how the course fees are paid for and stuff, about orthoptics itself and the chance to ask any question you may have. You also have a session where you go into the clinical skills lab and do a bit of practical work and try to get a feel of things :smile: then you sit with some students and they have a natter about what it's like to be in liverpool, that sort of thing, uni accom, placements etc, anything really, but from a students point of view as supposed to one of the lecturers. No formal interviews, no being on your own or anything like that, not even group interviews, just trying to give you as much information we can, and answer any questions you may have, so you can go away and make the right decision for you :smile:
Sheffield, I honestly don't know? Not sure if they interviewed when I applied? Dunno what they do nowadays :smile:
Hope this answers your question, anything else just ask! And maybe I'll see you in Feb :p: haha
Nic

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending