The Student Room Group

Orthoptics Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hey guys!! hope your all ok..
i have got a dilemma and i was wondering if someone could help me?
well basically i was about to send my ucas off and in my personal statement i have specified that i know the difference between an optometrist and orthoptist as specified by Liverpool university? but my form tutor has made me delete the paragraph..so i have have put my ucas on pause as i am not sure whether to keep the paragraph in or not :s it just defines them both and states the difference...
help me pleaseeeee! :frown:
Reply 61
Original post by AsmaV

Original post by AsmaV
well basically i was about to send my ucas off and in my personal statement i have specified that i know the difference between an optometrist and orthoptist as specified by Liverpool university? but my form tutor has made me delete the paragraph..so i have have put my ucas on pause as i am not sure whether to keep the paragraph in or not :s it just defines them both and states the difference...

vali is that u?????!
Original post by AsmaV

I never made a point of stating that I knew the difference in my personal statement, I felt it was a bit of a waste of words really. It's hardly the be all and end all, they want to know more for you than anything else I'd say. I wouldn't say it's out of the ordinary for people applying for optom to just shove orthoptics on their application as a back up not knowing anything about it, and then end up doing it thinking it's something quite similar to optom. I think that's one of the main reasons really, they just want you to understand what you're doing that's all, aslong as you've shown in your statement that you want to do orthoptics and you show a passion for it, that's what they want. I wouldn't worry too much about it, like I said, if you've shown you're eager and you're interested, I think they'd be happy :smile: I'm ranting now, haha, I hope you understand what I mean. But I wouldn't stress too much, I didn't put it and I got offers from both Liv and Sheff. :smile:
Some of you may have already been quoted in the thread, but for those I haven't (sorry), here is a link to a thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1497241

I'm trying to get an ocular health/optics forum set up, and it would be useful to know who would be interested in and use such a forum. If you are interested, please make a post there. Thank you. :smile:
Reply 64
Original post by foundintransmission

I never made a point of stating that I knew the difference in my personal statement, I felt it was a bit of a waste of words really. It's hardly the be all and end all, they want to know more for you than anything else I'd say. I wouldn't say it's out of the ordinary for people applying for optom to just shove orthoptics on their application as a back up not knowing anything about it, and then end up doing it thinking it's something quite similar to optom. I think that's one of the main reasons really, they just want you to understand what you're doing that's all, aslong as you've shown in your statement that you want to do orthoptics and you show a passion for it, that's what they want. I wouldn't worry too much about it, like I said, if you've shown you're eager and you're interested, I think they'd be happy :smile: I'm ranting now, haha, I hope you understand what I mean. But I wouldn't stress too much, I didn't put it and I got offers from both Liv and Sheff. :smile:

yea i agree. i didnt mention the difference between em either, but i did refer to them both so ur fine to leave it out :smile:
Reply 65
Original post by AsmaV

hey...like dashoo and nic sed...dont give either one a preference..

mention 'the eye' or 'eye professionals' or something to that extent...thats what i did and seemed to work!

:smile:
Hi, just thought I'd post on here and say I've started an Orthoptics Group on here. Not too sure how it works yet, but I saw some Optoms doing it so figured, why not. I've invited most of you, so feel free to join. Plus I've linked the previous applicants thread to it so it'll be handy to link back to. Also, if you find any threads on orthoptics, feel free to link it to the group so people can look back on it :smile: Don't feel like you need to join or anything, just thought it'd be easier :smile:
Reply 67
heyy :smile:.. im a newbee to this so :smile:.. iv applied for orthoptics at sheff and liverpool and dont mind going to either ... however i was speaking to a friend recently and she said that she thought ( wen she went for an open day ) that many people were quite racist and this put me off ...:frown:... so if any of you guys go to liverpool ..or live in liverpool.. would u say its like that?.. i havnt been yet myself so i have no idea..
Original post by keeRa
heyy :smile:.. im a newbee to this so :smile:.. iv applied for orthoptics at sheff and liverpool and dont mind going to either ... however i was speaking to a friend recently and she said that she thought ( wen she went for an open day ) that many people were quite racist and this put me off ...:frown:... so if any of you guys go to liverpool ..or live in liverpool.. would u say its like that?.. i havnt been yet myself so i have no idea..

Racist?! Oh god no! I've lived in this area all of my life and I and no one I know is racist. And I'm very sure that if you spoke to anyone on the course at the moment would completely disagree with that. Obviously as with anywhere, you're going to get people who are prejudice and narrow minded, but I've not come across anyone being racist in my experiences, particularly in uni. And I would say that at the moment, in my year, the students are from a wide range of areas and backgrounds and are of different races, and can honestly say that as far as I know, there has never been any racism.
Hope this helps? And hope it hasn't influenced your decision! :smile:
Reply 69
Hey everyone!
I was just wondering if anyone else had received the sheffield accomadation booklet? Any thoughts yet on what looks good? xxx
Reply 70
yup i'v received it..

but im leaning towards optom so not quite sure yet :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by Zakir
yup i'v received it..

but im leaning towards optom so not quite sure yet :smile:

Oh ok cool. Hows ur a levels goin? Did u have any jan exams? xx
Reply 72
Original post by Nams
Hey everyone!
I was just wondering if anyone else had received the sheffield accomadation booklet? Any thoughts yet on what looks good? xxx

Yeah i have too, thought it looked pretty expensive tbh, for a first year who is likely not to go for houses or flats, the cheapest option is an ensuite appartment which is £4,360 a year self catered. I did look around the endcliffe village when i went though and the rooms are sooo nice! dont know how to chose between all the different buildings though, what do you think? xx
Reply 73
Original post by Louuub
Yeah i have too, thought it looked pretty expensive tbh, for a first year who is likely not to go for houses or flats, the cheapest option is an ensuite appartment which is £4,360 a year self catered. I did look around the endcliffe village when i went though and the rooms are sooo nice! dont know how to chose between all the different buildings though, what do you think? xx

It is quite expensive! Im not sure tbh. I was looking more at endcliffe so glad u said it looked nice! But im not sure whether catered or self-catered wud work out better? Is a £40 allowance a week a lot? At the moment i am trying to research the accomadation to see! What if some buildings are older, and how do we know what kind of size they are? xxxxx
Reply 74
Original post by Nams
It is quite expensive! Im not sure tbh. I was looking more at endcliffe so glad u said it looked nice! But im not sure whether catered or self-catered wud work out better? Is a £40 allowance a week a lot? At the moment i am trying to research the accomadation to see! What if some buildings are older, and how do we know what kind of size they are? xxxxx

I think it might be a bit more expensive than other unis but thats probably because its alot newer.
um I guess, it depends how much the food at the canteens costs. Im definitely going to go for self-catered as you can eat what you want when you want, only problem is you have to go out and buy the food yourself and go to the effort of cooking and cleaning i guess thats what unis all about though.
on this page: http://www.shef.ac.uk/accommodation/prospective/villages/properties.html
it looks like theyre just different names for each appartment block, i think theyre all the same, maybe some are for same sex and some mixed sex, not really sure though.

has anyone accepted their offers yet?
xxx
Reply 75

Racist?! Oh god no! I've lived in this area all of my life and I and no one I know is racist. And I'm very sure that if you spoke to anyone on the course at the moment would completely disagree with that. Obviously as with anywhere, you're going to get people who are prejudice and narrow minded, but I've not come across anyone being racist in my experiences, particularly in uni. And I would say that at the moment, in my year, the students are from a wide range of areas and backgrounds and are of different races, and can honestly say that as far as I know, there has never been any racism.
Hope this helps? And hope it hasn't influenced your decision! :smile:

Aaawww:smile:.. thank you sooo much for that reassurance!!.. i felt a bit silly for even basing my choice on that... because i was really keen on liverpool and then it was just that one thing that made me think hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :P... but its cool now :smile: .. Thanks!!:smile: .. also, where would u recommend for accomodation? In first year?.. how is the on campus accomodation.. and which other private accomodation would u recommend (like unite.. or something.. )...:smile:
p.S sorry for the late reply:smile:
Reply 76
Original post by Louuub
I think it might be a bit more expensive than other unis but thats probably because its alot newer.
um I guess, it depends how much the food at the canteens costs. Im definitely going to go for self-catered as you can eat what you want when you want, only problem is you have to go out and buy the food yourself and go to the effort of cooking and cleaning i guess thats what unis all about though.
on this page: http://www.shef.ac.uk/accommodation/prospective/villages/properties.html
it looks like theyre just different names for each appartment block, i think theyre all the same, maybe some are for same sex and some mixed sex, not really sure though.

has anyone accepted their offers yet?
xxx

I am gonna gon self catered, with an en-suite i think. And yeah i have accepted, u?
xxx
Reply 77
Original post by Nams
I am gonna gon self catered, with an en-suite i think. And yeah i have accepted, u?
xxx

yeah im thinking the same, somewhere in the encliffe village appartments.
yeah i replied yesterday, sheffield firm and liverpool insurance, i really liked the open day at liv aswell so i would be happy going there.
now ive just got to get the grades, haha :/
xxx
Reply 78
Original post by Louuub
yeah im thinking the same, somewhere in the encliffe village appartments.
yeah i replied yesterday, sheffield firm and liverpool insurance, i really liked the open day at liv aswell so i would be happy going there.
now ive just got to get the grades, haha :/
xxx

I have already done my A levels, so i am definately going to Sheffield! I did like Liverpool at lot as well tho, so it was difficult to choose :smile: xxx
Original post by keeRa
Aaawww:smile:.. thank you sooo much for that reassurance!!.. i felt a bit silly for even basing my choice on that... because i was really keen on liverpool and then it was just that one thing that made me think hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :P... but its cool now :smile: .. Thanks!!:smile: .. also, where would u recommend for accomodation? In first year?.. how is the on campus accomodation.. and which other private accomodation would u recommend (like unite.. or something.. )...:smile:
p.S sorry for the late reply:smile:

It's quite alright :smile: More than happy to help. Anyway, it's not silly of you to ask, if someones said that to you you're bound to have doubts!
Sadly I lived at home so couldn't give you a great deal of advice on that. All I would suggest is that private halls are alot closer to uni, you can walk, whereas the uni halls, you'll have to get the bus, which can be a right pain sometimes, especially seeing as everyone is getting the bus and it's chocker. But private costs more money? I personally, if I was gunna move now, would go in private (if I was first year that is). But like I said, I didn't move to halls so I couldn't give you a proper opinion really, I'm just going off what people have told me and my own experience of getting them buses of a morning :p: also, another good thing about private is that you get to mix with other students (ie, ones from John Moores and Hope aswell :smile: ) which is always interesting. I'd recommend going back through this thread and the previous ones, as I'm sure Kiyoko and Aisha have had many a thing to say on accommodation :smile:
Hope this helps! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending