Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Official Lancaster University Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 740
Original post by Manitude
There were one or two people who would record lectures in my first year. They stopped doing so before the end of first year, I guess they realised it wasn't helpful for them.

Thanks for the reply. Video or voice record? I thought they'd be handy when exams are closer.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Erratic
Thanks for the reply. Video or voice record? I thought they'd be handy when exams are closer.

They used to voice record. Video recording would be great if it was done properly and put online....though the incentive to actually go to lectures is almost non-existent.
Reply 742
Original post by MissBetBet
See, this is what I like about that place, the people are clever, but they aren't horrible with it or up themselves!
You seem really nice by the way, and it was a general thrown-out-there one :smile:

Yes the business department is meant to be one of the best in the country, it's such a shame they don't do Maths with Business or such.
I have no clue's on colleges as such, I just like the idea of a townhouse so far haha. I'll look at that much if I get an offer..

Do you think I could get in?
predicted A*BB (might become A*AB),
got bad ASs: Maths A, Bio C, Chem C, Italian dropped. But with retakes should be easy enough to pop up..
Maths & comp sci is AAB. And i reaaaaaaallly want to get in! :smile:

Haha aw, thank you! :smile: My experience here so far is that everyone is incredibly modest, I forget I'm at a top 10 uni filled with clever people! It is nice to be surrounded by people with similar academic skill, especially when no one boasts or really talks about it!!

Townhouses look so nice, I opted for superior ensuite in Cartmel though mainly because I didn't want to share a bathroom with people I might potentially not like or had bad hygiene :tongue:. Just make sure that you don't choose a college based on their reputation, as really that's a load of rubbish. Your uni experienced is based on what you make out of it, not what the 'reputation' of the college is haha. Cartmel is supposedly the boring college, yet I know I'm having more fun than people in other colleges that are apparently more 'fun'!

You could definitely get in with those predictions!! And don't worry about your AS grades- I got Art A, General Studies B but then I resat it in January and got an A, English lit B, History C and ICT C which I then dropped.

Your predictions seem to be fine, seeing as at the moment it's A*BB, in my eyes that's the equivalent of AAB as you've exceeded on of your grades. I had to get AAB to get in, and while I exceeded it, I didn't think I would get the exact requirement, I thought I would get A*BBB (I did General Studies as a fourth subject at A2). From what I can remember, as the A* is more than the A, and shows dedicated and skill, that pushes up your importance if you didn't get the requirement in another grade. I'm pretty sure I saw on a thread ages ago that people had emailed Lancs to see if this was the case and they were told it was, although you might want to double check to make sure!

I hope that all makes sense haha I tend to rattle on :tongue:
Hi, any current Natural Sciences students on this thread? Am looking for insights on Lancaster and how it compares to Bath or Exeter or any other places you decided to not attend - do you like the course, what made you choose it, are you happy with the town/campus? Thanks!
Hi!

I'm an international student from the Philippines :biggrin: Just sent my application to UCAS and I hope to do Computer Science (2nd year entry) next year. Anyone here doing the same course? :smile:
Original post by earthmother65
Hi, any current Natural Sciences students on this thread? Am looking for insights on Lancaster and how it compares to Bath or Exeter or any other places you decided to not attend - do you like the course, what made you choose it, are you happy with the town/campus? Thanks!

Hey, I'm a first year NatSci student. I applied for Durham, Nottingham, Manchester (for Chem) and UEA, I live right next to Bath and wanted to be further from home, but it's a good uni and the accommodation is nice, but it's really quite expensive in the city just in general, on the plus side you've got a lot of nice buildings and good shops, plus trains and buses to practically everywhere. Didn't like Exeter so I didn't apply, but what made me choose Lancaster over everything else is the whole atmosphere.
The course here is brilliant, it's almost identical to Durham's and you've got the opportunity to go to North America, the accommodation is affordable and nice, fairly large rooms (especially in comparison to Durham! Crikey the affordable rooms there were horrendous), the city center is nice too, it's quite a lot like Bath really, I'd say a bit smaller but I'm not entirely sure, but I have noticed that it's a little bit cheaper up here. I mean not much, but you know every penny counts and whatnot. Everyone here is so friendly, I found chatting to the professors at most other unis to be somewhat intimidating, again particularly at Durham, but they're pretty happy to chat your ear off here!
As my second choice I put Nottingham because it's nice there for similar reasons, and UEA has a different degree scheme which is not what I was looking for but pretty great if it's the sort of thing you want (you LITERALLY choose every module. Obviously if you want to do Organic Chem II in the second year you have to do/have done Organic Chem I, but yeah).
Lancaster has a great campus and sports facilities on site, and the collegiate system is really good. I know it sounds corny but you do sort of feel a bit like a family. Having 9 bars on campus is great too!
Sorry if this didn't help much, but overall Lancaster is great university, location, accommodation, the course and the support are all great, so I would definitely recommend studying here.
Original post by cannibalcrickets
...Sorry if this didn't help much, but overall Lancaster is great university, location, accommodation, the course and the support are all great, so I would definitely recommend studying here.

it definitely helped, thanks so much!

Quick Reply

Latest