Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Working for ASDA, any questions?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurae135)
    Hi, i attended an asda magic interview bascially the group interview thing, and have heard no word back, although we were told we would know by email if unsuccesful or a phone call if succesful after 2weeks, its nearly been three weeks and i was wondering do you know what that means? thanks
    Ring them up or email them. Could be anything...

(Original post by joesoap)
    What is the definition of "seasonal staff"? My wife recently applied and was successful for a Permanent position, or so the application said but is being employed as "seasonal".
    Seasonal normally means just holiday hours, Christmas/Easter/Summer but normally you can do overtime during the rest of the year and i don't know about other stores but there's normally plenty of overtime going at my store. You can easily pick up many more hours whenever you want during the rest of the year.

Seasonal is normally students, like me, that live at uni during term time then work back at store near our parents during holidays...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just came back from the group assesment then and they said that everyone will be invited back for a one to one interview. What does this interview consist of? Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richo_EFC)
    Just came back from the group assesment then and they said that everyone will be invited back for a one to one interview. What does this interview consist of? Thanks
    Short interview with department manager who will ask a few of those "can you tell me about a time when...." questions. Then sorting out what hours you are to do etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNuts)
    Short interview with department manager who will ask a few of those "can you tell me about a time when...." questions. Then sorting out what hours you are to do etc.
    Doesn't sound that bad then. Thanks mate.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naomaccia)
    Thank you very much!! i'm a bit worried i'll screw up with various credit cards and top up cards, but i'm sure i'll eventually learn. i hope.
    Credit cards are easy just press EFT

Also, top ups are easy, just remember that to get them up on your till you need to press 55 action code

the till will show you the rest!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark091)
    Hello, I recently popped into my local ASDA store to inquire whether they have any jobs going at the moment, the person i spoke to said they are recruiting and that i should check on the website. However, when i got home and looked on the ASDA recruitment website, it said that no jobs were available in my area, so could you please help me.
    Customer Service Colleagues can never be %100 sure on whether the store is taking on or not, jobs in a store come and go a fair bit. So it's always advisable to keep on checking online, it could be that a job has come up but it may take some time to process online. It's been a few weeks since you asked, so likelihood is the role has been filled now (if there was one in the first place)

Don't worry though, just keep checking online
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurae135)
    Hi, i attended an asda magic interview bascially the group interview thing, and have heard no word back, although we were told we would know by email if unsuccesful or a phone call if succesful after 2weeks, its nearly been three weeks and i was wondering do you know what that means? thanks
    It could be anything really, it could be that you were unsuccessful, or it could be that you were successful!

The best thing to do is to give them a ring and speak to them over the phone, there may have been a slip up somewhere and perhaps a phonecall or email didn't make it out too you when it was intended
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I started working for Asda( part time) around July 2010, i had january alevel exams and asked for a holiday during this time. I was given a month holiday. But now im worried that i wont get holiday for my june exams.
    What the policy with the holidays.
    Thanks allot
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by killik)
    I started working for Asda( part time) around July 2010, i had january alevel exams and asked for a holiday during this time. I was given a month holiday. But now im worried that i wont get holiday for my june exams.
    What the policy with the holidays.
    Thanks allot
    They're normally nice and understanding if you give them notice.

I used to take time off round exams and then make up for it by working more over the summer holidays and they were happy enough.

I'd say ask them when you go back but tell them at the same time that you'll be looking for overtime over summer and they should allow it.

There are special breaks allowed for students. I'm seasonal atm so only working xmas/summer and that works for me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)

I used to take time off round exams and then make up for it by working more over the summer holidays and they were happy enough.

I'd say ask them when you go back but tell them at the same time that you'll be looking for overtime over summer and they should allow it.

There are special breaks allowed for students. I'm seasonal atm so only working xmas/summer and that works for me.
    Yeah, ASDA is well known for it's understanding and flexibility when it comes to holidays and the needs of it's colleagues. You shouldn't have a problem as long as you sit down with your manager privately and just tell them about your situation and what you need to do.

At the end of the day your exams are far more important than your job, and they understand that too!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

(Original post by m00balot)
    Yeah, ASDA is well known for it's understanding and flexibility when it comes to holidays and the needs of it's colleagues. You shouldn't have a problem as long as you sit down with your manager privately and just tell them about your situation and what you need to do.

At the end of the day your exams are far more important than your job, and they understand that too!

Thanks allot , ill talk to my manager after i return from this holiday. Hopefully it will work out
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have attended the Asda Magic Event they told me if im unsuccessful theyll tell me after 24 hours, so im assuming hopefully im successful as i have not heard anything yet, so just want to here from someone else who attended Asda Magic Event on how long it took Asda to back to them
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2036789)
    I have attended the Asda Magic Event they told me if im unsuccessful theyll tell me after 24 hours, so im assuming hopefully im successful as i have not heard anything yet, so just want to here from someone else who attended Asda Magic Event on how long it took Asda to back to them
    Took them about 30 mins from when it ended... As i walked into my house afterwards the phone was ringing from them to go back for an interview in the afternoon...

This was a rare case though as it was a new store being built and they were in a rush. Normally the managers doing it will need to discuss it etc and will then probs leave it to personnel to ring you back some morning in the next few days.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Gotta ask. What's the pay rate like? How much a year?
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uktotalgamer)
    Gotta ask. What's the pay rate like? How much a year?
    £6.37 an hour.

Tims it by 40 or so per week then times that by 52 then - the allowance before tax then times the rest by 0.8 to allow for 20% tax rate then + the allowance again. Then add in a good £1k+ of bonus if you're working full time and you'll be looking at around 14k per year...

But if you're working full time and wanna work up to key colleague /manager it'll go up...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    £6.37 an hour.

Tims it by 40 or so per week then times that by 52 then - the allowance before tax then times the rest by 0.8 to allow for 20% tax rate then + the allowance again. Then add in a good £1k+ of bonus if you're working full time and you'll be looking at around 14k per year...

But if you're working full time and wanna work up to key colleague /manager it'll go up...
    Thanks. However, I suppose the framework in ASDA in means that working your way up will take a very long time?
    • 70 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uktotalgamer)
    Thanks. However, I suppose the framework in ASDA in means that working your way up will take a very long time?
    Not really.

I've known some people that come in as a colleague and are a key colleague within a few months and then he even stepped in as a manager for the largest department in the store for a few weeks apparently whilst i was in uni...

Just needs determination/effort. You have to care about the waste budget and other stuff i couldn't care about and spend another 5 mins after your shift helping clear up etc and then you'll work up quickly...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok so my situation is situational ive been to the asda magic interview and there we had the 1v1 interview aswell there were 100 interviewed for 16 jobs so there was like 8 asda magic interviews done over 4 days 2 a day. i went to the first available on a tuesday the last took place on a saterday. how long each way to reckon it'l take if its good or bad news??
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m00balot)
    Hello, I work for ASDA and have done so for a year, have worked on ALOT of departments and am trained on ALOT of different things (I'm a bit of an ASDA whore, but I need the money, so I like to do alot!)

If you have ANY questions about applying, the application or the interviewing process, even the working and the way to use a till (if your desperate to know :P ) just ask!
    Hi I had a group magic session today and I think I did really well and thought that was it but it turns out I have a one-to-one interview on Friday and I'm quite nervous and don't know what to expect.. Is there anything that you woud recommend researching about the company beforehand or will the questions be more based around me? Thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a question - I was very recently taken on as a Home shopping delivery driver, in fact it is still my first week. But the same job at a much closer asda store has come up near me. How likely are they to put me in for a transfer, it would save me loads in petrol money?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 23, 2014
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.