The Student Room Group

Nottingham Email Reply Confusion

Hey basically I received this reply from Nottingham,
"Thank you for your application to study BSc (Honours) F800 Geography at the University of Nottingham.

As you may be aware this programme is very popular, attracting large numbers of applications from highly qualified candidates. In accordance with UCAS guidelines we must give equal consideration to all applications that we receive up until the 15 January deadline, and therefore we are required to put your application on hold for a short time.

We realise that you will want to be notified of our decision as soon as possible, and we will not hold your application unnecessarily. We aim to process your form as soon as we can and you should expect to hear from us by the end of February 2011 at the latest. Details will be communicated to you through the UCAS system in the usual manner."

On the same day a friend of mine received a offer for the sam course however the head boy form my school also received this email and is a perfect candidate with brilliant grades.
What does the email mean?
Will I know not get an offer?

Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by skynigos1
"Thank you for your application to study BSc (Honours) F800 Geography at the University of Nottingham.

As you may be aware this programme is very popular, attracting large numbers of applications from highly qualified candidates. In accordance with UCAS guidelines we must give equal consideration to all applications that we receive up until the 15 January deadline, and therefore we are required to put your application on hold for a short time.

We realise that you will want to be notified of our decision as soon as possible, and we will not hold your application unnecessarily. We aim to process your form as soon as we can and you should expect to hear from us by the end of February 2011 at the latest. Details will be communicated to you through the UCAS system in the usual manner."

On the same day a friend of mine received a offer for the sam course however the head boy form my school also received this email and is a perfect candidate with brilliant grades.

I had exactly the same email....its not a rejection, don't worry. A lot of good applicants to Notts got that email and haven't yet got an offer :smile:
I know someone from my school that got an offer for geography today as well. I'm guessing they DO actually start going through applications they receive first.
Original post by skynigos1

The most likely explanation is that the department is giving offers out to what it considers the strongest candidates, rejections to those it definitely doesn't want to enrol, and is holding on to those that are somewhere in the middle so that they can be considered together when the deadline has passed. The method ensures that as many decisions as possible are taken as early as possible and everyone is given equal consideration.

You have every chance of receiving an offer, but not an early one; and you aren't in the instant rejection pile, either, so be optimistic.

The candidates that are thought to be the best ones by themselves and their friends are not necessarily those the university will think are the best.
Reply 4
It says this ,pretty much, on the applicants portal for every subject doesn't it?.... I didnt get this e-mail. I recieved my offer from Nottingham yesterday.
Original post by Wedgely
It says this ,pretty much, on the applicants portal for every subject doesn't it?.... I didnt get this e-mail. I recieved my offer from Nottingham yesterday.

They only do this for courses with high competition, not all.
I got an email like that, as my acknowledgement email.. But then I got an offer yesterday for Sociology? Isn't it just an acknowledgement?
Reply 7
Original post by LethalResistant
They only do this for courses with high competition, not all.

History is one of the most competitive courses at the University.
Original post by Wedgely

The history department does say it'll give out some offers before the UCAS deadline, but the majority of applications will be deferred until after the deadline. So, I'm just guessing different departments follow different guidelines
Reply 9
Original post by ashleighwhitehouse
I got an email like that, as my acknowledgement email.. But then I got an offer yesterday for Sociology? Isn't it just an acknowledgement?

Do you mind telling me what your offer was. I am considering applying there but the typical offer is ABC - BBB. I'm predicted ABC
Reply 10
Original post by Wedgely

Actually, history at Nottingham is somewhat undersubscribed by top applicants - a friend last year was offered history instead of economics by Nottingham.
And yes, I'm in a good situation to comment as I'm at the university.
Original post by Rashmaster
Do you mind telling me what your offer was. I am considering applying there but the typical offer is ABC - BBB. I'm predicted ABC

just seen this! sorry..
yeah my offer was ABC-BBB :smile:
you'll get the same i expect :biggrin:
would you choose it as your firm/insurance? :biggrin:
Reply 12
Got the same email today :frown: disappointing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending