Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Teaching Maths in Further Education

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview discussion rules - please read before posting! 12-01-2013
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, im currently taking a degree in mathematics, and i am interested in teaching/lecturing as a career.

I would just like to ask if anyone has any information on this:

is it possible to take a course after the degree to qualify to teach maths in a college/6th form college/further education establishment? (i.e not a school, and not university lecturing)

Also does anyone know if the demand for training in this area (for mathematics) is as high for these kind of establishments as it is for Teaching in a school, and are there financial incentives e.g. bursary/golden hello similar to training for Secondary Maths Teaching?

I know this may be more of an area for vocational subjects, but surely there must be some demand for teaching this subject in further education.
    • 112 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy Mullen)
    Hi, im currently taking a degree in mathematics, and i am interested in teaching/lecturing as a career.

I would just like to ask if anyone has any information on this:

is it possible to take a course after the degree to qualify to teach maths in a college/6th form college/further education establishment? (i.e not a school, and not university lecturing)

Also does anyone know if the demand for training in this area (for mathematics) is as high for these kind of establishments as it is for Teaching in a school, and are there financial incentives e.g. bursary/golden hello similar to training for Secondary Maths Teaching?

I know this may be more of an area for vocational subjects, but surely there must be some demand for teaching this subject in further education.
    You would normally take a PCET FE or PGCE FE course and the mathematics bursary is £7,000 but it is allocated on a first come first served basis and not everyone gets one. There is a reasonable demand for mathematics teachers in FE but the demand is not as great as in secondary. Most FE mathematics teachers are expected to teach Functional Skills and/or GCSE resits to poorly motivated weak students so don't expect to spend all your time with eager, intelligent A Level students.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    You would normally take a PCET FE or PGCE FE course and the mathematics bursary is £7,000 but it is allocated on a first come first served basis and not everyone gets one. There is a reasonable demand for mathematics teachers in FE but the demand is not as great as in secondary. Most FE mathematics teachers are expected to teach Functional Skills and/or GCSE resits to poorly motivated weak students so don't expect to spend all your time with eager, intelligent A Level students.
    I don't think you are particularly well informed, the FE sector is not just about 'intelligent A level students' and GCSE students who are poorly motivated and weak. Quite the opposite in fact, many people studying GCSE maths in FE are mature students wanting to make amends and are therefore highly motivated.
    • 112 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by franksidebottom)
    I don't think you are particularly well informed, the FE sector is not just about 'intelligent A level students' and GCSE students who are poorly motivated and weak. Quite the opposite in fact, many people studying GCSE maths in FE are mature students wanting to make amends and are therefore highly motivated.
    As I have visited numerous FE institutions in the East of England in my role as a mathematics consultant, I probably know an awful lot more about it than you do. Adult education is being squeezed until the pips squeak with a 14% budget cut in the Comprehensive Spending Review on top of the cuts already imposed by the previous regime.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by franksidebottom)
    Ah Mr Sidebottom you appear to have suffered from a disastrous failure of Logic. What one can or rather cannot infer from a statement is sometimes best left to those who know the rules ........
    On this occasion I will grant you access to the first rung on the ladder to enlightenment ..... read this http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/courses/log/tru-val.htm !!!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)

Mr M, do you know any website where i could get more information on this??

I am also wondering about Salary and Jop opportunities. I'd like to know what sort of salary to expect in this area, and whether the chances of getting a job would be slimmer than teaching in a school, as you say there is less demand, and I presume less further ed. colleges etc. than there are schools.
    • 112 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy Mullen)
    Mr M, do you know any website where i could get more information on this??

I am also wondering about Salary and Jop opportunities. I'd like to know what sort of salary to expect in this area, and whether the chances of getting a job would be slimmer than teaching in a school, as you say there is less demand, and I presume less further ed. colleges etc. than there are schools.
    Well Sixth Form pay scale is here. You would normally start at the bottom of the pay scale unless you have relevant experience.

http://www.nasuwt.org.uk/TrainingEve...2010/index.htm

Some course information is here:

http://www.postgraduatesearch.com/po...ate-browse.htm

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: November 9, 2010
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.