The Student Room Group

Portfolio preparation intensive courses

Has anyone ever been on one of these? Would it help in regards to creating a portfolio for entry to foundation art?
and if I were to go to one held at the same place that I wanted to apply to, would that be a bad thing?
Reply 1
Original post by whisperings
Has anyone ever been on one of these? Would it help in regards to creating a portfolio for entry to foundation art?
and if I were to go to one held at the same place that I wanted to apply to, would that be a bad thing?

If you're intending to pursue your foundation at the UAL, the portfolio preparation courses have proven to have had a contributive influence over applications, mainly because the tutors on these courses have been known to liaise with those on the foundation, and they're specifically tailoring the portfolio to that end. However, this is by no means official or guaranteed, it's purely something I've picked up whilst studying there and from what I've read on here.

Alternatively, for courses outside the UAL, acceptance will be variable. If you do decide to undertake a portfolio preparation course, it's important to do the necessary amount of background research. For example, checking your chosen foundation course's requirements (they typically outline this on their website/course leaflet or during an open day) and comparing this with the portfolio preparation course's outcomes. Moreover, enquiring as to which institutions past students have gained acceptance to.

I would also suggest, if you haven't already, reading my thread at the top of this forum.

Hope this helps and good luck. :smile:
Original post by whisperings

If you can afford it I would have thought you can only learn from the experience
Reply 3
Original post by Aiko
If you're intending to pursue your foundation at the UAL, the portfolio preparation courses have proven to have had a contributive influence over applications, mainly because the tutors on these courses have been known to liaise with those on the foundation, and they're specifically tailoring the portfolio to that end. However, this is by no means official or guaranteed, it's purely something I've picked up whilst studying there and from what I've read on here.

Alternatively, for courses outside the UAL, acceptance will be variable. If you do decide to undertake a portfolio preparation course, it's important to do the necessary amount of background research. For example, checking your chosen foundation course's requirements (they typically outline this on their website/course leaflet or during an open day) and comparing this with the portfolio preparation course's outcomes. Moreover, enquiring as to which institutions past students have gained acceptance to.

I would also suggest, if you haven't already, reading my thread at the top of this forum.

Hope this helps and good luck. :smile:

Hi! :smile: Hope you don't mind me asking you some questions about preparing a portfolio for Slade. I have to take it down on Tuesday and I'm having last minute panic! :s-smilie:
When you mount your work, do they all have to be on white cartridge paper? Some of my pieces seem to look better on black but a lot of people have said that universities prefer it if it's white. Is that correct?
Are sketchbooks very important? I have around 20 final pieces to hand in along with 2 sketchbooks, one that relates to 1/3 of the pieces and one that only relates to one piece. I have other sketchbooks as well but they're not very good and not finished (some that don't relate to the pieces at all). The only reason I don't have sketchbooks for most of the pieces is that I don't like sketchbook work and 4 or 5 pieces are photos.
Also, do you put your sketchbooks in a bag with your name on? I don't have a portfolio where your sketchbooks could fit in.

Thanks so so much! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest