The Student Room Group

Salaries: Which Big 4 pays best???

I'm going to be applying for accountancy jobs really soon, but I cant find any good information on which of the Big 4 or even Grant Thornton and BDO.

Help?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I found this thread useful vis-a-vis Pay Rates at the Big 5 accountants

http://discussions.bringonretirement.co.uk/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16

It looks as though there is information on pay rates scattered far and wide!
Reply 2
Everything varies

I think a few years ago KPMG paid a bit more - but you also have to consider benefits like meal vouchers etc.
Reply 3
There's nothing in it, the difference are so small. It continues to amaze me that a question like this can be important to people, you're paid handsomely whoever you join and your career prospects are going to be great. There are far better reasons for choosing one over the others.
Reply 4
Original post by 86501
There's nothing in it, the difference are so small. It continues to amaze me that a question like this can be important to people, you're paid handsomely whoever you join and your career prospects are going to be great. There are far better reasons for choosing one over the others.

How much does a graduate earn on average initially? :colondollar:
Reply 5
Original post by asdfg0987

18k-25k i reckon, depends on the sector really and if you had any previous experience.
Reply 7
Original post by asdfg0987

I assume you mean a big 4 graduate? It depends on whether you're London or the regions, which makes a significant impact. The business line you join will also impact upon it. The range posted above is pretty accurate, maybe a tiny bit low. Your best bet is to have a search around this section for the city/job you're interested in and you'll get a good idea.
Reply 8
Given the Big 4 are direct competitors, attract an equivalent calibre of graduate, and are pretty much fighting for the same graduates, they'll all pay equally well. Plus, in any case, at a firm such as one of the Big 4, if you're good enough, the money will follow you, and you don't have to worry about whichever pays the most.
Reply 9
I think KPMG pays the least in terms of graduate starting salaries
How much would an experience accountant make, say after 5-6 years?

I don't want to be an accountant, I'm just curious/nosey
Reply 11
Original post by miike1234
How much would an experience accountant make, say after 5-6 years?

I don't want to be an accountant, I'm just curious/nosey

obviously depends how good you are and who you work for
Original post by f00ddude
obviously depends how good you are and who you work for

You're good, in the top 10% of accountants, and you work for one of the best employees.

Just curious to a rough figure
Reply 13
Original post by miike1234
You're good, in the top 10% of accountants, and you work for one of the best employees.

Just curious to a rough figure

after 5-6 years i would say you could be on £55-£65k at Deloitte/PwC
Reply 14
I think you've got to actually get the job offers to be worrying about the salary.
Reply 15
Original post by 86501
It continues to amaze me that a question like this can be important to people, you're paid handsomely whoever you join and your career prospects are going to be great. There are far better reasons for choosing one over the others.

I agree with this. I had interviews with 4 different companies this summer as a newly qualified, and I never knew what the money would be until the offer did/didn't come. I certainly didn't pick my interviews based on who might have paid a bit more than the rival!

If any Big 4 firm were genuinely stingy across the board compared with their rivals they would lose a lot of good staff - which is why there's probably no major differences.
Reply 16
Original post by borbts
I found this thread useful vis-a-vis Pay Rates at the Big 5 accountants

http://discussions.bringonretirement.co.uk/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16

It looks as though there is information on pay rates scattered far and wide!

:biggrin::s-smilie::biggrin:

There are a few more opinions on this Big 4 Pay situation - Some people really dont think it matters and this seems to be the most widely held view, but if you want an idea of different firms then have a look at the thead.....

Reply 17
Original post by borbts

There are a few more opinions on this Big 4 Pay situation - Some people really dont think it matters and this seems to be the most widely held view, but if you want an idea of different firms then have a look at the thead.....

Grinker85 sent me this link re: Bonuses

http://www.bringonretirement.co.uk/Home/News/accountants-1-3bn-bonus-pot.aspx

There's £1,200,000,000 in bonuses to UK accountants this year so sounds as though bonus structure is just as important as base salary

Hope this is helpful

:colondollar::s-smilie::colondollar::s-smilie::colondollar:
Reply 18
One major thing to take into account is that the big four are separated into different firms with different equity structures. So the highest in the UK is not necessarily the highest elsewhere.

That being said, where I am working our salary is lower than 2 of the big four, but...we actually get paid for overtime/can take it as toil. So in reality we earn more than our salary dictates.
Reply 19
To be honest, I agree with the above comments. To get your 'Foot in the Door' at any one of the Big 4 opens a HUGE number of new opportunities. If you devote yourself enough you may one day become a Partner!:smile:

If I was in your position however. I would steer toward Deloitte/PwC. I have a family friend who is a Partner within Deloitte, he gets payed an un-earthly amount. The above two are both the biggest so I would personally try there :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending