The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

How can you afford this??

I was looking at the virgin train website:

the cheapest ticket costs 18 quid; so I need to pay 18+14=32quid to get a return ticket coventry-london

Please tell me there is a solution for this? (not megabus :biggrin:)
Reply 1
Try London Midland instead of Virgin. They take longer but they can be a lot cheaper and they also run from Euston to Cov.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
£6 with the midland trains - doesn't take too much longer either.
Advance tickets. And 16-25 railcards to save an additional 1/3.

Single all the way home to Tunbridge Wells next month (via London Euston - Virgin Trains + Tube) will cost me only £6.25.

You will need to buy in advance (at least a couple of weeks to get the very lowest prices) and be prepared to travel at off peak times. IIRC, when the tickets are launched 12 weeks in advance, there are a few £6.25 advance tickets for the peak hours, but these get snapped up quickly.
Reply 4
100% get yourself the railcard, it is worth it! You save 1/3 off travel by rail.
Original post by TheTallOne
Advance tickets. And 16-25 railcards to save an additional 1/3.

Single all the way home to Tunbridge Wells next month (via London Euston - Virgin Trains + Tube) will cost me only £6.25.

You will need to buy in advance (at least a couple of weeks to get the very lowest prices) and be prepared to travel at off peak times. IIRC, when the tickets are launched 12 weeks in advance, there are a few £6.25 advance tickets for the peak hours, but these get snapped up quickly.

but i can't plan weeks before if I'm going ldn.
So the prices vary like eurostar: the closer, the more expensive? let's say you buy your ticket at the station, is it more expensive than online?

I search the midland trains, it's also the same price range as virgin:confused:
Original post by destination unknown
but i can't plan weeks before if I'm going ldn.
So the prices vary like eurostar: the closer, the more expensive? let's say you buy your ticket at the station, is it more expensive than online?

I search the midland trains, it's also the same price range as virgin:confused:

The price at the station will always be more than or equal to the price online.

http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/
That will save you 1/3 (it costs £26 for the year or £65 for 3 years).

As for train prices, this post should give you more info.

Basically, it is theoretically possible to get advance tickets the day before, but once the allocation of advance tickets has sold out, the cheapest you will get will be the off peak price (either online or at the station on the day).
Mines £50, what are you complaining about? Its not that much.

Quick Reply