The Student Room Group

Mental Health Nursing

I was wondering if any one has taken up a degree in mental health nursing and what is it like?

I was also wondering do they to have to clean up bodily fluids of paients in psychiatric hospital?

Not sure if i want to study mental health nursing and become a CPN or work in hospital. People look down on nurses i have heard... also the pay isn't to good, i am already at university but not enjoying my course.

Should i make the change?

:confused:
My mum's a CPN. No bodily fluids, as far as I know.

Although I can't be entirely sure about the degree as she did it before a degree was required.

What kind of pay do you consider to be "not too good?"
Original post by AlexAntiHeroine

Original post by AlexAntiHeroine
My mum's a CPN. No bodily fluids, as far as I know.

Although I can't be entirely sure about the degree as she did it before a degree was required.

What kind of pay do you consider to be "not too good?"

Ahhh cool, does she enjoy the work she does?

I'm not sure i just hear they arn't paid well... :s-smilie: but everyone has to start at the bottom i suppose and work there way up .. i haven't got a clue what pay it is per hour and it depends on experience too :s-smilie: i have read sites that give you a rough idea of how much they earn but then i read nurses saying they don't earn that much in reality
Yeah, she really likes it. Obviously some days are more stressful than others, but she loves her work.

Ah, I see. I'm not entirely sure how much she makes, about £34000 per year, maybe?
Reply 4
http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/Default.aspx?Id=766

There's the Agenda for Change pay scale. A newly qualified nurse starts on point 16, going up to point 17 after 6 months, point 18 after a year and then up a point annually thereafter. And yes, there are bodily fluids involved in mental health nursing.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest