The Student Room Group

Newcastle PGCE anyone?

Hello!

Very excited for an interview next month for secondary PGCE. Anyone else for Newcastle?
:colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

Shameless bump.
Reply 2
Hi!

Just had my application for Secondary History sent on to Newcastle (it was my second choice).

What have you applied for? I'm a bit worried that I don't have enough experience for them.
Original post by Kateh86
Hi!

Just had my application for Secondary History sent on to Newcastle (it was my second choice).

What have you applied for? I'm a bit worried that I don't have enough experience for them.

Oh i'm sorry you didn't get your first choice! I'm doing Secondary RE, just waiting for the interview letter to tell me what i have to do.

I hope you hear about an interview soon!
Reply 4
Hi,

I've applied for the Primary PGCE at Newcastle, just wondering if anyone has heard back from them yet? Its so nerve wracking, waiting to hear!
Reply 5
I've applied for Primary at Newcastle, Sent off my app the day it opened and still havent heard anything back! driving me crazy!
I've just sent off my application today, (Newcastle and Greenwich). Im really nervous about hearing back!! I hope it doesn't take too long cos I'll be a bag of nerves til I know!
Reply 7
Darlodave have you heard anything yet? I still havent and its driving me crazy too! I emailed the uni and they just said to keep an eye on the GTTR Track, but didnt give any idea about dates.
Reply 8
Hey Guys,

I had an interview at Newcastle last Monday and found out I got a place yesterday (for the Secondary Geog PGCE)! The interview isn't too bad, and is the same for most subjects as far as I'm aware! Don't fret, just focus on doing a good starter activity and you'll be fine!
Reply 9
Original post by RyanBrook
Hey Guys,

I had an interview at Newcastle last Monday and found out I got a place yesterday (for the Secondary Geog PGCE)! The interview isn't too bad, and is the same for most subjects as far as I'm aware! Don't fret, just focus on doing a good starter activity and you'll be fine!

What starter activity did you do? are they actually looking for you to do one or explain how you would at the start of the lesson? did you prepare before?
what stimulus material did you use and how did it relate to your subject?
Original post by mikeyp2006
What starter activity did you do? are they actually looking for you to do one or explain how you would at the start of the lesson? did you prepare before?

I had mine today - went very very well!

Don't take anything - they give you the starter material, just research how it fits into the lesson - why do a starter? The material is great fun and easy to adapt.

I felt they weren't looking for a ridic amount of knowledge on curriculum, education, pedagogy etc. Just be yourself, they tend to relax when you relax.
Reply 11
Original post by mikeyp2006

The stimulus material is different for everyone (subject oriented) and I chose an image of an African child and based my activity around it. They ask you to explain how one would work in a class and actually 'perform' it to the interviewees, or you can just explain how you would use it in a classroom situation (easier in my opinion).

They are asking for you to prepare one but you get an hour with your material and overhead sheets so plenty of time. They only expect you to talk about it for 5 mins, and its very informal so hopefully not too nervewracking.

The stimulus material is extremely vague so my advice would be to have a few activities that you can mould to almost anything.

Which subject are you applying for?

Good Luck!
has anyone had an interview for the primary pgce at newcastle yet?

are you allowed to take a pen and paper into the skills tests? im a bit worried about the mental arithmatic one!
Hi,

I've applied for the Primary PGCE but not heard anything back yet, have you got an interview?
No I havent heard back from them at all, track says its still under consideration, I send it off on the 25th of November.

I'm trying to think optimistically!

When did you send yours off?
I know the feeling, I sent mine off on the 29th October, its killing me! I sent an email a couple of weeks ago and they said they'd received my application and had passed it onto the team and applicants should look at track to see the progress of their application. Would just be nice to know roughly when we'd know, just to keep my sanity / hope!
I know what you mean! i heard that they can give you really little notice sometimes before an interview, (i heard six days for one person) so im checking my track obsessively just to get as much notice as possible!

the only thing thats keeping me from not turning into a nervous wreck is trying to prepare as much as i can now, even if it turns out to be a waste of time if i dont get an interview!
Yeh i've been doing the same, although i'm getting the feeling they won't be in touch before Christmas now. Let me know if you hear anything and I'll do the same. Good luck!
Just checked my track and I've got an interview on the 18th January, YAY!! :smile:
Well done!! I'm still waiting to hear back, fingers crossed I get the same news!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending