The Student Room Group

Cadets banned from carrying rifles on Remembrance day

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/defence/Cadets-parade-hit-rifle-ban/article-2842270-detail/article.html

Personally I think this is downright atrocious. Having served in the CCF as a cadet, I can't tell you how proud I was to feel part of something like that. Now the PC crowd have got their hands on it they may aswell tear them to shreds.. This organization teaches these kids to respect these weapons, not fear or abuse them. It is done well.

However some utter.. well i can't really say it on here but somebody has gone and said it is 'glorifying guns'. Thats not true. These cadets go through training, they know how to handle, clean, assemble and disassemble, and fire these things safely. They are taught combat and like it or not, they are taught warfare. And why shouldn't they be? If its a vocation they wish to pursue, why can't they? You might aswell ban the CCF outright.

I know this might have some contention on here, so i am curious as to what your thoughts are on this...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Unless the guns are loaded I don't see anything wrong with it at all
Reply 2
The same thing happened where I live. I can see the reasoning behind it, but it's still ridiculous. =/
I was in the CCF for five years and I never even slightly shot anyone.

Let them carry their guns. :rolleyes:
Reply 4
Original post by Ripper

Original post by Ripper
Unless the guns are loaded I don't see anything wrong with it at all

They aren't, just some sourpusses decided kids shouldn't be handling weapons.
Reply 5
The sheeple have spoken.
Reply 6
so unfair
Reply 7
Original post by Profesh
The sheeple have spoken.

Did you just use the word sheeple unironically? :colonhash:
Reply 8
****ing PC Brigade. I hate them so much. They will be the downfall of this country and indeed the Western world.
Reply 9
The Actual Article
Devon Cadet Executive Officer Major David Waterworth told The Herald yesterday that the Plymouth cadets had been ignoring a national ruling.

"It isn't a new regulation. It's been in force for about ten years, ever since the UK signed the agreement against using child soldiers"

Thats one of their officers. Not the council saying that.

I've never seen cdts parade with rifles. And that comes from being one for 7yrs between 98 and 05, being an officer in the Armed Forces and now being a member of adult staff with the cdt forces.

Theyre not being stopped from parading, just carrying their rifles. And good, frankly. They look scruffy when carried and wearing combats [none of these cdts will have Number1 uniforms].
Reply 10
Original post by Drewski

Original post by Drewski
Thats one of their officers. Not the council saying that.

I've never seen cdts parade with rifles. And that comes from being one for 7yrs between 98 and 05, being an officer in the Armed Forces and now being a member of adult staff with the cdt forces.

Theyre not being stopped from parading, just carrying their rifles. And good, frankly. They look scruffy when carried and wearing combats [none of these cdts will have Number1 uniforms].

FYI, I have been in the honor guard doing drill with a rifle infront of the Mayor of Exeter.. so....

EDIT : In public, in the front of Exeter Cathedral...

Why is this such a bad thing? Its a sense of pride and discipline and responsibility. the gun is part and parcel of being a soldier, and like it or not the CCF is about becoming a soldier...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Ocassus
FYI, I have been in the honor guard doing drill with a rifle infront of the Mayor of Exeter.. so....

Then you too have broken rules put into place not by a council, but by the Armed Force you are representing.

You wouldn't wear incorrect uniform or do drill incorrectly on parade, so why knowingly disobey these commands?

A non story by people who don't understand what they're talking about.
Reply 12
Original post by Drewski

Original post by Drewski
Then you too have broken rules put into place not by a council, but by the Armed Force you are representing.

You wouldn't wear incorrect uniform or do drill incorrectly on parade, so why knowingly disobey these commands?

A non story by people who don't understand what they're talking about.

But I was not aware of the rules? And I do not know if my commanding officer was either? Especially since we are part of the Wyvern platoon, which is the one where Brigadier hodders and Major Keyes are based... A Major not telling his cadets the rules? Hmmm?
[Bearing in mind I was of sergeant rank]. With others who were corporals and sergeants performing this...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Non-story. You don't need rifles to march. It says in the article that the cadets are still going to use the rifles on camps etc so really it doesn't matter.

Original post by Ocassus
Why is this such a bad thing? Its a sense of pride and discipline and responsibility. the gun is part and parcel of being a soldier, and like it or not the CCF is about becoming a soldier...

The CCF isn't about being a soldier. It is a youth group. The cadet forces are excellent youth groups, but they are not about training you to be a soldier.
Reply 14
Original post by Ocassus
But I was not aware of the rules? And I do not know if my commanding officer was either? Especially since we are part of the Wyvern platoon, which is the one where Brigadier hodders and Major Keyes are based... A Major not telling his cadets the rules? Hmmm?

Ignorance of the rules is no defence for not following them. They have been in place for a long time and should have been filtered down through al applicable organisations.

Whether they haven't been or have been ignored is immaterial, rifles should not be carried by cdts on parade. Therefore, the Anti-PC bandwagon running all over this story are woefully misinformed and only back up the stereotype of themselves as unbalanced ignorant idiots.

It is a nonstory. If the cdts were being told not to parade at all, then it would be very different.

Original post by Ocassus
[Bearing in mind I was of sergeant rank]. With others who were corporals and sergeants performing this...

What possible difference would that make? You're all still cdts under the command of people who should have known the rules as they are and were. You're not allowed to carry a rifle on a public parade. End of.
(edited 13 years ago)
Why do you need to carry a rifle to show your respect?
Reply 16
Original post by Drewski

Original post by Drewski
Ignorance of the rules is no defence for not following them. They have been in place for a long time and should have been filtered down through al applicable organisations.

Whether they haven't been or have been ignored is immaterial, rifles should not be carried by cdts on parade. Therefore, the Anti-PC bandwagon running all over this story are woefully misinformed and only back up the stereotype of themselves as unbalanced ignorant idiots.

It is a nonstory. If the cdts were being told not to parade at all, then it would be very different.

And yet the point remains much the same. Why AREN'T Cadets allowed to parade with rifles? What is the problem with it? That ruling clearly has not been enforced, as the examples given by actual men in the army whos sons happen to be within that Cadet force, had been doing it when THEY were children, and the process has continued. Whats different about now to then?

The reasoning behind the article may be flawed, but it still stands to reason that these cadets SHOULD be allowed to parade in uniform, with weapons which have had proper checks carried out on them and have been cleaned by the cadets themselves. What is wrong with taking the whole practice as a ritual of respect and discipline? The honor guard especially, allows the select few who do it to feel that bit more proud about what they are doing...
Reply 17
Original post by PasserBy9

You don't but you were allowed to in the first place. It has been taken away on the basis that it 'glorifies weapons'. Which is simply untrue... Why is it so wrong to take this approach of discipline and pride? A parade with weapons and honor guard done properly is that bit more special, and it is more special for the cadets to...
Reply 18
Original post by Ocassus
And yet the point remains much the same. Why AREN'T Cadets allowed to parade with rifles? What is the problem with it? That ruling clearly has not been enforced, as the examples given by actual men in the army whos sons happen to be within that Cadet force, had been doing it when THEY were children, and the process has continued. Whats different about now to then?

The reasoning behind the article may be flawed, but it still stands to reason that these cadets SHOULD be allowed to parade in uniform, with weapons which have had proper checks carried out on them and have been cleaned by the cadets themselves. What is wrong with taking the whole practice as a ritual of respect and discipline? The honor guard especially, allows the select few who do it to feel that bit more proud about what they are doing...

Because of the UN's ruling on children soldiers.

Rules change. Deal with it. Just because it's not been enforced doesn't mean that when people do find out about it they can continue ignoring it.

Why does it? Why does carrying a rifle enhance the respect shown or the fact you're remembering others? It doesn't. An honour guard does not need to feel 'extra' special at all.
Reply 19
Original post by Ocassus
And yet the point remains much the same. Why AREN'T Cadets allowed to parade with rifles?

Quite honestly, who cares? Trust me, I'd rather parade without a rifle than with one any day. You don't need the rifle.

Original post by Ocassus
The reasoning behind the article may be flawed, but it still stands to reason that these cadets SHOULD be allowed to parade in uniform, with weapons which have had proper checks carried out on them and have been cleaned by the cadets themselves.

They are allowed to parade in uniform. Its not like the parade has been banned.

Original post by Ocassus
What is wrong with taking the whole practice as a ritual of respect and discipline? The honor guard especially, allows the select few who do it to feel that bit more proud about what they are doing...

The only time you need to carry a rifle on parade is when you are in the Colour Guard.

Quick Reply

Latest