The Student Room Group

English Help!!!

Haiii peoplezzzz loool i dont know how to use this xD ermmm i really need help with english because i have my nov exams on monday and wednesday for gcse...is there anyoneee who could help me pweeseee =]
Reply 1
what with?
revising generally helps
Reply 2
lool well like with paper 1 section a, i dont exaclty know how i am supposed to structure my answers for the comparitive question at the end is there a certain like way? and also i am kind of stuck on like when you are writing about the effects on the audience...
Reply 3
Hi, I'm sitting that exam tomorrow too! I have an AMAZING teacher and this is what she tells us:
There are four types of question in P1SA:Main Points Language Pres. Devices. Fact and Opinions. One will always be a comparison.

Main Points: @least 4 points. General overview in relation to the question. Methods they are presented by, terminolgy. Where it is in the article.
Pres. Devices: Specific points. Zoom in and give alternatives. E.g Colour, Image, Font but not words.
Language: 3 examples. Device e.g. inculsive pronoun (we, our) direct address (you) modal verb (can, will) look at specific words and give alternatives.
F+O: Gernal overview of what facts and opinions are used for e.g. rapport (O) appear knowlegdable (F) At least one example of each. How used. Effect on reader. why used writer. where it is.
Refer to the reader and writer constantly!

Say what it makes them feel/think, why and how. What effect does it have?
Remember intergrated references and to mention context.

Hope that helps! Good luck :smile: x
Reply 4
OMGG THANKYOUUUUUUUUU!! SOOO MUCH THAT IS AMAZING THANKSSS and good luck with your exam :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Reneira
x

Hey, I've got this exam too and a similarly WONDERFUL teacher.

For following the argument don't talk about HOW it is shown, just WHAT is. Basically, what do they think about such and such? Go through and pick out what they say and condense it. The best way to get how to do this is just look at the practice extract from past papers, then the mark scheme. Try putting in phrases like "According to xxx" or "in short, xxx says". Remember to mention the first and last points the author makes as this is often the crux of their argument. Back up what you say with brief quotes and make sure you get the reason for their opinion as well as just the opinion itself.

Make sure for fact and opinion you give around 2-3 examples of each (depending on marks given) and EXPLAIN how they show you what they show you. You get more marks for less points and more explanation than the other way round. Generally: facts inform and opinions persuade/influence. Can be juxtaposed to add to impact, opinion can be disguised as fact etc.

When you are comparing make sure you use lots of linking words and constantly refer to similarities/differences between the text.

Language is kind of similar to the poetry paper - pick out a specific phrase, analyse it closely, look at the wider context. Remember: say a lot about a little. Look for you/our, emotive language, rhetorical devices etc.

Presentation: look at the layout of the extract, why is it like this/what does this achieve? What colour scheme is used? what are the connotations of these colours? Is there an interesting font/bold text etc? Do the pictures push a certain interpretation of the text?

Here is some information given by someone TSR recently in a word doc - they got 54/54 on both papers (what I'm aiming for lol!)

PAPER 1 ONLY - Section A - Media Response - 27 marks
Section A requires you to respond to texts. This needs to be analytical, and thoughtful - writing what you see and describing it will not earn you marks.
The best piece of advice here is to actually answer the question. If the question asks for 2 facts and 2 opinions, give them - you don’t need to give 3 facts, it won’t gain you any more marks and will only waste your time.
In terms of how the mark scheme works, it goes on bands depending on each question. For the highest bands:
Detailed, shaped & absorbed - Responds well to the text, showing a deep understanding. Candidate is able to directly answer the question. Answers shows material has been understood.
As a checklist:
? Full understanding of facts/opinion and question
? Understands why these devices e.g. facts and opinions are used
? Detailed and conceptual response, that is intelligent and coherent
? Media text is QUOTED to and used in the response/argument
You will encounter a question that asks you to compare features in the text. Be specific. If asked to compare layout, compare layout features, do not drift off into discussing the use of language, unless of course this is in the layout.
You must show enthusiasm, and that you have studied the text in great depth (well, as much as the marks available!). As general pointers:
? If asked to compare, compare!
? Layout features: Orthography (font-bold, italic); Graphology (images - brand logo reassures audience? supporting image helps to understand article?); Format (newspaper, magazine); Colour
? Influence - If there is a carrot with a shadow, it could imply something more sinister, as the photographer has deliberately wanted to incorporate the shadow.
? Important: Everything is not what it seems. Giving views which may sound/seem silly doesn’t mean they’re wrong, they’re different and examiners will credit them if supported by an explanation.
Reply 6
damnn thanksss againnn that reallly helpppss goood luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending