The Student Room Group

Why I refuse to wear a red poppy, wearing white instead

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
We should be ashamed of our selves for doing this to other people and calling it liberty! Disgusting pri**s
Reply 21
Soldiers commiting immoral acts in war?

In other news, the Earth has been found to be spherical.
Original post by Beneb

Best post in the thread.
Reply 23
A poppy is to remember those who died to serve our country. The brave, heroic people who chose to protect their country. Many soldiers have been killed while on duty and its these remembrance is for. It ensures that these soldiers are never forgotten.

The money from the poppy appeal also goes to help soldiers who may have been left injured from their duty and their families who may not see their loved one again. This is why I buy a poppy, as to remember the fallen who so bravely served for their country and to help fund for families to rebuild their lives after the tragic death of a loved one!
Reply 24
It would be more appropriate to 'boycott' Armed Forces Day rather than Remembrance Day; this is just misplaced angst.
I won't be wearing one. I was around long before the First World War and I will be around long after the Fifth.
Reply 26
I bought a poppy this year, even though there are lots of aspects of the British military I dislike. I bought it personally to remember all those who died and suffered fighting during WW1 and WW2- to me that's what the poppy means. I might stop buying them though since now nearly everyone who actually suffered in WW2 has passed away and that's who the poppies were originally about. Maybe we should get a new tradition to honour our soldiers who have fought in conflicts since then?

Perhaps it seems ridiculous to stop specifically honouring the suffering of those who fort in the two world wars but they're now slipping into history... it's not like we commemorate those who died during the English Civil War or the Boer War or the Napoleonic Wars today is it?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by conmist furnished
How ****ing naive are you?

Extremely.

Original post by G8D
Why do people expect morals and war to go together?
They don't and never will.
Deal with it.

War and peace are one and the same, especially in anti-insurgency wars such as this. Did you watch the expert's opinion at the end of the video? The inmates could be severely psychologically damaged by this. They will have to "deal with it" for the rest of their lives.

Original post by Margaret Thatcher
So, basically, because of one incident - you won't be wearing a poppy? War isn't always going to be holding hands and singing Kumbaya.

Not just one incident, several. As you can see, this was standard policy. War is bound to be ugly, but this sort of torture is plain unacceptable and unnecessary except in some specific contexts - this does not seem to be one of them.
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't buy red poppies any more because I find the whole charade is mixed up with ridiculous nationalistic sentiment (is having a big ****ing march through Whitehall the best way to remember anyone, or is it just an excuse to show off how shiny the boots are of our elite troops?) and general glorification of war, essentially turning normal dead soldiers into some kind of romantic martyr figures through the rosy veil of 90 years of history since WWI; but if you don't buy a poppy because you judge all troops on the basis of the actions of a few, then that's just plain naive.
I'm pretty anti war, and I think some of the things they do such as this are terrible... but poppies are in memory of the individuals who have died, not the small incidents by a few groups of people, nor the poor decisions made by a countries' government. I think it's respectful to honour the young men who have died merely fighting for the country they love.
Reply 30
At least donate some money to the charity.

The money goes to helping veterans and bereaved families. Whether you like the fact some soldiers abuse their position is irrelevant. The money from the charity goes to help decent people.

One of my best mates died in Afghanistan last year at the age of 18. He was a good lad and his family were good people. I don't know if they benefited from the charity, but the money goes to help people like them.

True, the soldiers you mention are a disgrace and I personally don't agree with any 'war' in the Middle East, but that doesn't mean decent people don't need help or shouldn't get help from the charity.
So f*ck.

Wear a poppy because it displays your gratitude to the soldiers of the first and second world wars. Without those men and women, we'd be speaking German, eating Bratwurst and stealing all the sunbeds on holiday.

The Royal British Legion deserves the utmost, and greatest respect.
Reply 32
I don't wear a poppy because I don't need some badge to prove I'm a good person who thinks of others. I think it shows more respect to donate privately and keep it to yourself, than most people who donate just so they can wear a poppy and look good to others.
Original post by Liquidus Zeromus
Extremely.

I thought so, it shows.
Really the state should support injured soldiers with a decent package. It should not be left to charitable collections to provide for them.

Politicians and the MOD are good at paying tributes in the House of Commons to soldiers who died, but when those who come back, even if they aren't injured, try to get any support after they have left the service, they get doors firmly shut in their face.

I support the poppy charity but lets not take our eye off the ball. Soldiers who come back get ignored by the government. More Falklands vets committed suicide after the conflict than died in the war.
Don't blame the soldiers, blame the system.
Reply 36
Original post by Beneb

Well, that would be news, as the earth is an oblate spheroid. /pedant

Original post by Liquidus Zeromus
Not just one incident, several. As you can see, this was standard policy. War is bound to be ugly, but this sort of torture is excessive except in some specific contexts - this does not seem to be one of them.

And that's why we're finding out about it - because it was against the rules and those responsible are facing punishment. If the Army was condoning the behaviour I'd back you up, but this entire thing smacks of a poorly executed troll thread. You know full well what you're writing is inflammatory and are just doing it to provoke angry responses.
Does it make you proud to think that out there somewhere, there will be an impoverished 90 year old war veteran, who fought and quite possibly almost died for you 60 years ago, that little bit colder this winter because of your noble political boycott?
You're choice.

I always wear one, every year less people seem to :sad:
Reply 39
Original post by Margaret Thatcher
So, basically, because of one incident - you won't be wearing a poppy? War isn't always going to be holding hands and singing Kumbaya.

I loved your Charmed sig, just had to be said!:awesome:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending