The Student Room Group

Gallstones?

Hi all,

For the past 12-15 hours I have suddenly developed a pain in the upper-right hand side of my abdomen (just under the ribs). It's not that severe but it's a nagging pain and gets worse when I take a deep breath in or out. Alongside this I've been getting really acidic reflux - sort of like a mini-vomit (sorry for gross detail) regularly. I've been asleep since 3am as the pain won't let me sleep! I also feel kind of hot and feverish.

Has anyone had similar symptoms before? Could it be gallstones?

I'm really hoping this goes away as this could not come at a worse time. Is this worth a visit to A&E?

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 1
Sorry, was meant to say I've been awake since 3am, I've only had 2 hours sleep and doesn't look like I'm getting to sleep anytime soon :frown:

Also at times the pain is radiating towards my back/ right shoulder blade. Hope someone can help.
It's always worth a visit to the doctor if you feel a pain that's not making you sleep or if it continues for days.
You should go to the doctor and get it check.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all,

For the past 12-15 hours I have suddenly developed a pain in the upper-right hand side of my abdomen (just under the ribs). It's not that severe but it's a nagging pain and gets worse when I take a deep breath in or out. Alongside this I've been getting really acidic reflux - sort of like a mini-vomit (sorry for gross detail) regularly. I've been asleep since 3am as the pain won't let me sleep! I also feel kind of hot and feverish.

Has anyone had similar symptoms before? Could it be gallstones?

I'm really hoping this goes away as this could not come at a worse time. Is this worth a visit to A&E?

Thanks. :smile:

Don't know if you've seen a Dr for this yet, but definitely do.

Also, not a Dr, or med student etc, but I've had gallstones, so maybe I can impart some knowledge:

Gallstones typically cause sudden pain, that may start off as bearable, but increasingly gets worse, or just starts and hurts a lot, but the most common pain comes in waves, like a spasm. They usually last between half an hour and 5 hours. The pain is described as worse than childbirth. I deal with pain pretty well, but the worst attacks almost completely took my breath away, couldn't get into a comfortable position at all; most hurt that much that I actually couldn't even cry. Agony, in other words. A 10 on the pain scale.

12-15 hours sounds like a really long time - I had gallstones, my longest attack lasted about 8 hours, which was the one they ended up removing my gallbladder after! But by that point I had a huge infection and other problems... hence why I suggest getting yourself checked out - I waited too long.

It may not be actual gallstones, could be bile duct related, or gallbladder disease.

But seriously, go get it checked out. A blood test will show up liver enzymes if there's a problem near your liver/gallbladder, and an ultrasound will show any stones if they're there.

Hope you feel better soon!

EDIT: sorry, meant to add, the pain I had was about half way up my rib cage in my back, and the worst of the pains made me feel like someone had stabbed me straight through from my back through to my front. It can go up into your shoulder blade, or down towards your legs - if it heads for your legs call an ambulance - well, that's what they told me at the hospital anyway.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by pixiepeep
Don't know if you've seen a Dr for this yet, but definitely do.

Also, not a Dr, or med student etc, but I've had gallstones, so maybe I can impart some knowledge:

Gallstones typically cause sudden pain, that may start off as bearable, but increasingly gets worse, or just starts and hurts a lot, but the most common pain comes in waves, like a spasm. They usually last between half an hour and 5 hours. The pain is described as worse than childbirth. I deal with pain pretty well, but the worst attacks almost completely took my breath away, couldn't get into a comfortable position at all; most hurt that much that I actually couldn't even cry. Agony, in other words. A 10 on the pain scale.

12-15 hours sounds like a really long time - I had gallstones, my longest attack lasted about 8 hours, which was the one they ended up removing my gallbladder after! But by that point I had a huge infection and other problems... hence why I suggest getting yourself checked out - I waited too long.

It may not be actual gallstones, could be bile duct related, or gallbladder disease.

But seriously, go get it checked out. A blood test will show up liver enzymes if there's a problem near your liver/gallbladder, and an ultrasound will show any stones if they're there.

Hope you feel better soon!

EDIT: sorry, meant to add, the pain I had was about half way up my rib cage in my back, and the worst of the pains made me feel like someone had stabbed me straight through from my back through to my front. It can go up into your shoulder blade, or down towards your legs - if it heads for your legs call an ambulance - well, that's what they told me at the hospital anyway.

Actually kidneystones are like childbirth. Gallstones aren't so bad. (but are still rotten!)

Hopefully the OP went to some form of doctor, although it was possibly all heartburn. Gaviscon - gotta love it.
Reply 5
Original post by Jamie
Actually kidneystones are like childbirth. Gallstones aren't so bad. (but are still rotten!)

Hopefully the OP went to some form of doctor, although it was possibly all heartburn. Gaviscon - gotta love it.

I've had them... the woman in the bed next to me had them too, and had two weeks previous given birth, and said it was definitely worse than childbirth. I'm inclined to believe her tbh...

Quick Reply

Latest