The Student Room Group

I can't get my earring out!

I think this should probably go in the body mod sticky, but I can't find it right now.

Basically I had the top bit of my ear pierced a few months ago and I want to change it because the butterfly keeps getting caught in my hair. But the earring is the one it was originally pierced with and I'm struggling to get it out!
I've tried pulling quite hard! But I don't want to pull it all the way through or end up pulling it out really fast, as I can imagine both would be quite painful.

Is there a knack to it or just using brute force?
Reply 1
If you got it pierced at Claires or another place that uses a gun [which sounds likely as you have a butterfly] then it will just be brute force as they have little grooves on the sides to hold the back on. Just grab both sections and pull.

Next time, go somewhere that pierces with a CBR [Captive Ball Ring] or a labret stud [a screw style stud] and uses needles. They will usually change the jewellery for you after a certain amount of time.
Original post by skunky x
If you got it pierced at Claires or another place that uses a gun [which sounds likely as you have a butterfly] then it will just be brute force as they have little grooves on the sides to hold the back on. Just grab both sections and pull.

Next time, go somewhere that pierces with a CBR [Captive Ball Ring] or a labret stud [a screw style stud] and uses needles. They will usually change the jewellery for you after a certain amount of time.

I actually went to this tattoo place, which is 'the' reputable place to go in my town but then a friend said it shouldn't have been done with that type of stud. It was done with a needle though :smile:

I was going to go back to get them to do it, but thought I'd try myself first if I could do it without impaling myself on something! Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by fortunecookie
I actually went to this tattoo place, which is 'the' reputable place to go in my town but then a friend said it shouldn't have been done with that type of stud. It was done with a needle though :smile:

I was going to go back to get them to do it, but thought I'd try myself first if I could do it without impaling myself on something! Thanks for your help :smile:

Seems odd that they'd use a needle and put a butterfly stud in- most butterfly studs are a 22gauge thickness, and I'd imagine you were pierced, minimum 18 gauge. Seems odd.

Yeah go back. Whilst you're there, I'd recommend picking up a labret stud or CBR though- they're much more secure than butterflies in my experience, especially if you have long hair. I currently have a labret stud in my helix [technical/pedant's name for the piercing] piercing.
Original post by skunky x
Seems odd that they'd use a needle and put a butterfly stud in- most butterfly studs are a 22gauge thickness, and I'd imagine you were pierced, minimum 18 gauge. Seems odd.

Yeah go back. Whilst you're there, I'd recommend picking up a labret stud or CBR though- they're much more secure than butterflies in my experience, especially if you have long hair. I currently have a labret stud in my helix [technical/pedant's name for the piercing] piercing.

I bought one the other day with assistance from a friend. I'm a total noob with piercings as you can probably tell! It's like a bar with balls on either end that you screw on. Is that a labret? I think I'll go back and get them to do it - I can ask for advice on the next piercing I want too :wink:

The long hair thing is rather annoying!
Reply 5
A labret has a ball on one end and a flat, fixed disk on they other. They're traditionally worn in lip piercings [the flat back to fit between your lip and teeth].

Feel free to message me- I may not be covered in piercings, but I've had enough bad and good experiences to think I know what is good and what is not. For example, last time I couldn't remove a stud ended up in a trip to A&E, yet I've healed several piercings without a hitch =]
I've had mine done for about 5 years and haven't been able to get it out ever :s-smilie:
Reply 7
If anyone is reading this thread because they've got one of those captive ball ring things in and can't get it out (this is why I was reading it last week), you might want to try this:

put both ends of a thin, strong (and not v. stretchy) shoe lace through the ring in the same direction (ie. both from top of ring or both underneath) then fold the lace so each end goes back onto the loop of the lace. I can't really describe it but basically you get two double bits of lace that you can grip quite well and pull away from each other. Hopefully the ball will drop out before the lace snaps.

I've just done it successfully :smile:

Obviously it's better to get it done properly/professionally using the correct tools but if that's not possible, I think this option is better than using anything that might scratch the ring.
Try using latex gloves for more grip. Failing that, buy a labret stud, go to a proper piercing studio and ask them to change it for you. Much better than yanking your ear around and irritating it further =).

Quick Reply

Latest