The Student Room Group

English Language GCSE (AQA) 8th and 10th of November

Scroll to see replies

Love after Love and This Room Have Never Been Asked ... [I'm doing Cluster 2]

June 2010 - Presents from my Aunts.

Nov 2009 - Half Caste

June 2009 - Not My Business

I wish Search For My Tongue / Hurricane Turns Up..

What about you guys?

What are your strongest and weakest poems?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 21
AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! I think (rather big-headedly) I'll have definitely got an A* but that's my hopes of 100 UMS out the window!!!
Anyone else find the media section completely stupid? I think I did okay on the first half but - how the hell were we supposed to right so much about such a freaking small paragraph for language. I LIKE language, I can DO language, I was counting on it. Then they give us about two sentences? What. The. ****. Image is also my worst bit so when I saw the huge question on that I was like fml. Even the first 2 questions were worse than my practices I think - especially the fact/opinion - can't BELIEVE I didn't mention the juxtaposition mentioned above!!

Also did NOT like the persuade question I did. So dull! I crammed it chock full of emotive language, rule of 3, rhetorical questions, anecdotal evidence, statistics, 2nd person, repitition, metaphor etc. However it was the first one so far where I didn't put humour/irony in which was awful as I love writing humorously. Did get full marks for all 5 practices so hopefully I haven't dropped too many :s

What's everyone thinking will come up on Wednesday? My poetry is much better than my media though so feeling more confident
about that.

EDIT: I'm doing cluster one. My best to worst goes: Night of the Scorpion, Two Scavengers, Blessing, Nothing's Changed, Limbo, Island Man, Vultures. I *really* don't want to drop a mark on that question.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by TopGearRules
Hey, i totally fudged up the media section, however i did complete every single question (however i feel not very well!). I did well on section B, i chose question 06 which was about persuading more investment into facilities for youth. I enjoyed that bit, until i got out the room and somebody said that it was a speech not a letter! :banghead::bricks::cry::facepalm: DOH AND BUGGER!

I only did only put 'Dear sir/madan & your faithfully' and possibly put 'I am writing to....', however everything else you can read out as a speech. How bad will my marks for this section go down because of this stupid mistake? I followed AFOREST and i thought it was a good persuasive text.

Thanks! And best of luck for the next exam!

Ps. What poems do you think will come up in paper 2?

Ahh, two of my friends did that so looks like it is a pretty common error. I wouldn't worry my teacher says you'll probably only loose 1 marks tops. In my mock I managed to write about a boat journey when it explicitly said plane train bus or car and I only dropped 1 mark.

thank god someone else agrees about the media though!
anybody know any really good revision techniques for the paper 2 exam on wednesday?
i can't of any good revision techniques other than thee anthology and explain, infrom and describe :/
and i dont learn anything from just reading :frown:
HELP
Random question, but how well should you have done on the coursework to get an overall A*? Anyone have any ideas?
Original post by huddersfield640
anybody know any really good revision techniques for the paper 2 exam on wednesday?
i can't of any good revision techniques other than thee anthology and explain, infrom and describe :/
and i dont learn anything from just reading :frown:
HELP

It's probably a bit late now, but I've made mindmaps for each poem. So basically, I've got points for Structure, Language, Attitudes and Feelings for every poem. Thats our how our teacher suggested we should answer the essay!
Not sure about you, but mindmaps help me learn. They're easy to remember, aswell. :smile:
Original post by RubiesandSparkles
It's probably a bit late now, but I've made mindmaps for each poem. So basically, I've got points for Structure, Language, Attitudes and Feelings for every poem. Thats our how our teacher suggested we should answer the essay!
Not sure about you, but mindmaps help me learn. They're easy to remember, aswell. :smile:

i didn't think about that.. thanks!!
I failed. Definately.

I wrote about two lines per question in section A (okay, slight exaggeration) and less than a page for section B. I didn't like any of the questions. I seriously considered walking out and hoping my mock grade of a B would be put forward.

It didn't help that in the final lesson before the exam my teacher spent half of it making us write down that we needed to bring in a pen. -_- Don't worry about the low grade because I managed to bring in the correct pen!
Reply 28
I failed as well.

The media section (section A) was an absolute FARCE!!!
how do they expect us to answer questions about langauge when the text was no longer than two lines (ok....slight exaggeration) yet nevertheless it was a FARCE!!!!

I think I messed up on the writing part (section B). I chose the persuade question, didnt think it went too well......but I've got to hope

All in all, I did terribly badly...and I'm predicted an A :/...
and if I don't get it my english teacher will "murder me"!!!

P.S. I wanted to know for the persuade question, we didnt need to give counter arguments did we?
please reply and reassure me.....
Original post by puddinboy
I failed as well.

how do they expect us to answer questions about langauge when the text was no longer than two lines (ok....slight exaggeration) yet nevertheless it was a FARCE!!!!

I think I messed up on the writing part (section B). I chose the persuade question, didnt think it went too well......but I've got to hope

P.S. I wanted to know for the persuade question, we didnt need to give counter arguments did we?

I'm in exactly the same boat as you.
No, I don't think you need to. It would make it a hell of a lot less persuasive!:tongue:
Reply 30
Does anyone know when we get our grades back?
Original post by puddinboy
I failed as well.

Hi, I did a counter argument for the persuasive task by saying if an increase of money is not met, then more crime will occur blah blah blah...... obviously not in a simple context like that. I probably did it wrong, but the past is in the past, so get ready for paper 2 (thats what im doing right now, and im dreading it)! When the results are reported back and you not satisfied (by the sounds of it not many people will not, me included), then you can retake. And thats the reason why we did this early examination, as if you want to retake it you wont be doing it at the last minuet.

Thanks everyone. And good luck for paper 2!
Original post by BookWormShanti

I would also like to know this too? :P
I also agree that the exam was complete horse****! I wonder what goes through the AQA people that choose the two pieces of media! "I know, let's add a question about 1 image and compare it to three images!"
"Yes, great idea!"
Does anyone here have Maths exams as well this week? I have one tomorrow and one on Friday :frown:
Too much pressure having 4 exams in one week. I haven't even started revising for the poem paper! FML!
Lmaooo!!!
It's such a relief to find other people hated the questions too. I couldn't believe it when 8 marks comparing those stupid images, how ridiculous.

I'm dreading Paper 2 well kind of. What poems D'you think will be on? :frown:

I'm doing Cluster one and I hope it's two scavengers. I don't think it'll be Limbo because that was on the exam in June 2010.
SKATEISTAN! LOL! isnt that just like, the weirdest idea ever?

I reckon i did OKAY in the exam... really hoping to hold onto an A! :/ I wrote a letter to argue, but when i was writing i felt like i was writing to persuade rather than arguing!? did anyone else feel the same way? gosh and im revising for POCT on wednesday! >< i really do hope some good poems come up and NOT THIS ROOM or NOT MY BUSINESS or LOVE AFTER LOVE! Those are the 3 poems i would find most difficult to talk about!

One last thing, i made a MAJOR mistake on my letter. I started it with Dear Mr Stanbroke... and ended with Yours faithfully! HOW STUPID CAN YOU GET, RIGHT!? Will they really mark me down for this? :'(

MY WHOLE ENGLISH GCSE RUINED BECAUSE OF A STUPID MISTAKE. F*** MY LIFE!
Original post by midnightice
I also agree that the exam was complete horse****! I wonder what goes through the AQA people that choose the two pieces of media! "I know, let's add a question about 1 image and compare it to three images!"
"Yes, great idea!"
Does anyone here have Maths exams as well this week? I have one tomorrow and one on Friday :frown:
Too much pressure having 4 exams in one week. I haven't even started revising for the poem paper! FML!

I have stupid maths exams this week aswell! Tomorrow and Friday xD but EDEXCEL. Dreading it, but because I'm in set one for it at school I did my paper in June and got an A so not really worrying about it. It's stupid they're making everyone who didn't receive an A* to retake! Only 2 got A*.

And PMSL! I haven't started either, I only know 2 poems. Think I might kill myself :wink:

January. :smile:
I'm dreading it.
Reply 38
Original post by Not_Unofficial
January. :smile:
I'm dreading it.

But that's ages! My teacher told me before Xmas :frown:
Any chance of a source? (googling isn't reaping any rewards for me)
But that's ages! My teacher told me before Xmas :frown:
Any chance of a source? (googling isn't reaping any rewards for me)

My teacher (so, not reliable then :tongue:). Last year's November exams' results were released in January this year though, so I presume it'll stay the same.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending