The Student Room Group

WriteCheck/Turnitin

Ok so I've been doing a summary of an article and am a bit worried that my paraphrasing is a bit wrong :tongue: and I don't want it to be flagged up on turnitin as plagiarised so I've been considering submitting it into WriteCheck before I hand it in so I can rephrase it if my current version is too similar to the original.
I guess my question is whether it's definitely safe to submit it to WriteCheck. The site says that work submitted to WriteCheck won't flag up on Turnitin as the database is separate, but I just want to check with someone who has experience with it :smile:
Reply 1
If it's clear from the context that you're summarising the arguments of an article and you've properly referenced that article, where's the problem?:confused:
Original post by hobnob
If it's clear from the context that you're summarising the arguments of an article and you've properly referenced that article, where's the problem?:confused:

We were told we shouldn't need to reference as it should be written in our own words. I'm not saying it isn't in my own words but because of the nature of the article, there are phrases which have to be directly taken from the article, there aren't any other ways to express them. I'm probably just being paranoid as usual :colondollar:
Reply 3
Original post by EverythingInTransit
We were told we shouldn't need to reference as it should be written in our own words. I'm not saying it isn't in my own words but because of the nature of the article, there are phrases which have to be directly taken from the article, there aren't any other ways to express them. I'm probably just being paranoid as usual :colondollar:

Do you mean phrases actually coined in that article, or just set phrases used to describe certain processes which can't be described in any other way?
Original post by hobnob
Do you mean phrases actually coined in that article, or just set phrases used to describe certain processes which can't be described in any other way?

Just set phrases. I guess even if they do flag up, they have to check it through and will see that they are set phrases that couldn't be defined in any other way.

Quick Reply

Latest