The Student Room Group

MMath or MSci

What are the advantages of doing the MMath versus the MSci (and vice versa)? I'm thinking about going into research or possibly actuary. Also I've applied for the BSc at all my unis because I wasn't too sure what I wanted to do - will most unis let me switch to the MMath/MSci course during my degree?
Reply 1
Original post by anshul95
What are the advantages of doing the MMath versus the MSci (and vice versa)? I'm thinking about going into research or possibly actuary. Also I've applied for the BSc at all my unis because I wasn't too sure what I wanted to do - will most unis let me switch to the MMath/MSci course during my degree?

Often you won't get a choice, some unis call a four year undergrad masters degree an Mmath, some an MSci. Even if you did get a choice it doesn't really matter, it'll be the same content.
Reply 2
MMath is 4 years BSc is 3 years, you do a longer dissertation thing in the MMath (i think its one year not half a year) and some more modules, generally speaking unless you want to go into research or something it doesnt matter which you do, but it is easier to transfer off the MMath than onto it especially with regards to student finance so if you are getting a loan or grant you would need to transfer in the first couple of months if you wanted to, whereas if you are doing the MMath then you can transfer anywhere up until the end of the 2nd year and this will be done automatically if you dont get sufficient marks, obviously this may not be true for all unis but it was for all those i looked at.
Reply 3
Its just when I looked at them they just seem very different
Reply 4
Original post by anshul95
Its just when I looked at them they just seem very different

If you are choosing between the MMath and the MSci then the MMath will be almost all maths modules whereas in the MSci you should have the oppertunity to do more different modules particularly in the later years (the first two years will still be the same though), if youve already applied then wait till you have your offers and then ask the specific unis what the differences are as it will vary between institutions

Quick Reply

Latest