The Student Room Group

Help with my tv dissertation please:)

Hi there, I am currently on my final year of film and media and desperately need to start my dissertation. The only thing is that i think i have chosen my project title but im not entirely sure if that would be ok. The one I have chosen is Social realism in British daytime drama: A case study of controversial storylines in Eastenders and Hollyoaks. Can anyone that knows anything about dissertations comment and assure me that i am on the right tracks or that i am completely going in the wrong direction. Thank you for anyone who answers:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by merily3
Hi there, I am currently on my final year of film and media and desperately need to start my dissertation. The only thing is that i think i have chosen my project title but im not entirely sure if that would be ok. The one I have chosen is Social realism in British daytime drama: A case study of controversial storylines in Eastenders and Hollyoaks. Can anyone that knows anything about dissertations comment and assure me that i am on the right tracks or that i am completely going in the wrong direction. Thank you for anyone who answers:smile:

When you write your actual dissertation, it's not so much the title but more about the content. You could use that title for a number of different courses but as long as you use some relevant to TV and recommended books and scholars then you should be alright. You have a dissertation tutor don't you? They're usually quite quick to tell you early on if they think something you're doing is completely wrong!! And it doesn't sound like you are :smile:
Reply 2
Start and that subject, and then you can adjust the title if necessary :smile:
My initial, pedantic comment would be that Eastenders is an evening show.

I would drop the word 'controversial'. It could be seen as 'leading' to a conclusion before you have written a word. Also, social realism in the relatively glossy soaps we have are not the same as social realism in the 40s/50s/60s. Perhaps something to suggest its evolution or contemporary state?

Actually, you don't need to specifically announce what texts you are studying in the title (though you can). A good method is to have the first half be something that is like a real title, then a colon and a title that explains what it is. From my own work

- The world inside meets the world outside: Edgar Reitz's Heimat (1984) and the destruction of a German self-identity.
- This is my truth: 20th century documentary and solipsism.

Hope this helps rather than confuses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending