The Student Room Group

Bedfordshire Primary Education Interview, bring along an artefact...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by georgia_scrappy
Taking along a blow up globe and explain how I would get the children to point out the continents and oceans, countries aswell

Okay, but try to do a little bit more, a girl on my same interview did the same and she didn't get in, try to find a may to make it cross-curricula.
Original post by Skip_Snip
Okay, but try to do a little bit more, a girl on my same interview did the same and she didn't get in, try to find a may to make it cross-curricula.

What would you suggest
Reply 22
What would you suggest

Geography isn't my strongest point, so I'm spitballing here :tongue: . But you could tie it into History by highlighting parts of the globe which used to be part of the British Empire? Or have the children spin it and point to a random place and write about where they land (Literacy) ?

EDIT: I know British Empire wasn't in the latest version of the curriculum I looked at, but for the purposes of interview it would be enough to show you're thinking in a cross-curricular way. Or you could talk about the World War, and highlight the Axis in different colours to the Allies.
(edited 10 years ago)
Geography isn't my strongest point, so I'm spitballing here :tongue: . But you could tie it into History by highlighting parts of the globe which used to be part of the British Empire? Or have the children spin it and point to a random place and write about where they land (Literacy) ?

EDIT: I know British Empire wasn't in the latest version of the curriculum I looked at, but for the purposes of interview it would be enough to show you're thinking in a cross-curricular way. Or you could talk about the World War, and highlight the Axis in different colours to the Allies.

---What did you do? And which university?
Reply 24
---What did you do? And which university?

This

What I did was bring in a lightbulb; I tied it into the curriculum of light and shadow, talking about how it could be moved around the room and would affect the shadow length etc depending on where it was. I also said it could be used as an inspirational story, as it took over 10,000 attempts to get the safe and practical bulbs we have today.

At Bedford.
This

At Bedford.

Im still looking to do something with geography and an inflatable globe, is it possible to email you instead of talking on here?
Reply 26
Im still looking to do something with geography and an inflatable globe, is it possible to email you instead of talking on here?

Sure - [email protected]

It says invalid email address?
Reply 28

I got a message through, which was jumbled letters :tongue: I replied, hopefully it'll work from now.
Reply 29

actually, try [email protected] , I got jumbled letters again :tongue:
Reply 30
Taking along a blow up globe and explain how I would get the children to point out the continents and oceans, countries aswell

I have a interview at UWE in a couple of weeks. I was thinking of taking a blow up globe too. Did you take it to your interview, how did it go.
Original post by CVP1996
I have a interview at UWE in a couple of weeks. I was thinking of taking a blow up globe too. Did you take it to your interview, how did it go.

Someone at my interview brought a globe, and all she literally had to say was about pointing out countries and continents, and there was an awkward silence when the tutors asked for more. So make sure you have lots to say, think about how it ties into the curriculum, and cross-curricular links.
Reply 32
Someone at my interview brought a globe, and all she literally had to say was about pointing out countries and continents, and there was an awkward silence when the tutors asked for more. So make sure you have lots to say, think about how it ties into the curriculum, and cross-curricular links.

The interview brief is
How the object will subsequently be used
some of the reasons that you believe it to be useful in the engagement of learners.

I thought of saying how it can be used in child led activities and making the lesson interactive, and in my experience children retain learn and engage more in the lessons. I also thought how it can be linked into different key subjects Literacy: Who what where when why. Helping them develop there identifying and explaining skills. Numeracy: with the help of maps, using and interpreting graphs and co-ordinates. Geography, using the globe to identify different countries. History: Looking into different countries how they help in our lives today. Science: Looking at different environments and how living things including animals and plants are adapted to their environments. Do you think that sounds alright?
Original post by CVP1996
The interview brief is
some of the reasons that you believe it to be useful in the engagement of learners.

I thought of saying how it can be used in child led activities and making the lesson interactive, and in my experience children retain learn and engage more in the lessons. I also thought how it can be linked into different key subjects Literacy: Who what where when why. Helping them develop there identifying and explaining skills. Numeracy: with the help of maps, using and interpreting graphs and co-ordinates. Geography, using the globe to identify different countries. History: Looking into different countries how they help in our lives today. Science: Looking at different environments and how living things including animals and plants are adapted to their environments. Do you think that sounds alright?

Sounds good to me :smile:
Original post by CVP1996
The interview brief is

How would you introduce the globe to the interviewers?
Im struggling as well to think of what to take to one when i get them.

Ive thought of a few ideas on what to do. But not sure what i should do. as by what ive read on here i wouldnt really have lots to say about it. Just a thought can you take in more than one item, but all related to one subject matter? As i thought of taking a bunch of objects, with some beginning with one letter and some with another and linking them to Phonics. So say i had 'B' i would have a bunch of objects beginning with 'B' in a bag to be put into a bucket if they had the 'B' sound at the start and if they didnt they would have put them in a pile. but thinking about it, it doesnt seem to be enough to just do that.

Also i have thought about using a bell shaker and using it as a group to pass around without ringing and them talking. linking it to team work then when it woudl get back to me i would then pass it around again but this time i would create a rhythm for them to follow, but again it seems to short to fill at least 5 mins.

Any ideas on what would be good as im a bit stuck and dont like the ideas ive seen on here.
Omg so helpful! I'm thinking of talking about Balinese masks? what do you think of this idea?
I'm thinking of taking in Balinese mask, is it a good idea? :frown:
Reply 38
Original post by Aimee-Lou
Hi!
I had an interview for Bedfordshire uni last year - you literally can take absolutely anything, i took bongo drums as i thought they were quite versatile. No you don't present as if your teaching a class, you just do a 5-10 minute presentation on how you could use it to benefit learning! Try to choose something versatile that you can adapt and use for different areas of the curriculum which also suits different methods of learning - hands on, written, creative, physical as the more you have to talk about the better you can get your ideas across. I found it helped me to do a mind map of the different areas of the curriculum the artefact can be used for and then went on to develop how it can be used. Just read over it alot so you remember what you have to say but if you forget things dont worry! I completely froze up in my presentation but still got offered a place! Message me if you want any further help - in the meantime, Good Luck!x

Hiya I’ve been told for my interview I may have to chose an item that’s already in the uni class, and explain on how I would use it for teaching? Can you give me some ideas? In class there’ll be things such as stationary, I can’t think of what I’d do?
Would using a map be a good artifact. I can link it to maths science English geography understanding the world??

Quick Reply

Latest