The Student Room Group

Advice for my UCAS application?

Hoping someone can help me out here.... Im going through my employment history on my UCAS application and am having some probs...

Basically Iv spent a couple of years travelling before getting back to UK and working a couple of part time bar jobs.
Now I can only fill in my last five jobs - and they are all crappy bar jobs, with 3 of them abroad and I cant remember the names or address of those barjobs either.

So I cant fill them in. Which makes it look like Iv only worked for one year of my life since leaving school :frown:

On top of this my main job that I worked in for years is sales and marketing - Pretty much the backbone of my personal statement and hopefully deal winner for being accepted onto the degree Iv chosen...

But I cant fit that on as Iv had about 5 million jobs since then when I went travelling! Im worried at what to put and if I make up an address UCAS might check it and just warn all my Uni choices I'm a liar? (I know they do something similar if they find your Personal Statement is copied)

Also employment history is pretty important for mature student applications as its looked upon to see what skills and qualities you are bringing in from the school of life opposed to academic qualifications (in my instance anyway)

Anyone able to help me out here? Im not sure what to do... Greatly appreciated for any help!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
I would put your sales and marketing job in your employment history anyway, it doesn't really matter if you don't put every single job you've had in order of when you worked there, if it's important to your application you should definitely put it in there, just put it at the bottom of your jobs list, then put the most recent jobs that you can remember at the top, that way your jobs are still in order, but you've included the most important job that will show your experience.
Reply 2
Cool ok Il try that - thanks.
Reply 3
I pretty much had the same dilemma, I just put the most relevant jobs down and the ones which I held for the longest.

Perhaps if you could find the addresses it would give an indication to what you were doing at that time, I managed to find some real remote outback bars and station addresses through Google, I can't see why you can't do the same.
Reply 4
Original post by la bird
I pretty much had the same dilemma, I just put the most relevant jobs down and the ones which I held for the longest.

Perhaps if you could find the addresses it would give an indication to what you were doing at that time, I managed to find some real remote outback bars and station addresses through Google, I can't see why you can't do the same.

I spoke to my tutor and he advised me to put in all my jobs from travelling as a single entry with a broad date, and to add my 'proper' job in there.

Although I had also done the exact same thing as you to be honest.
Reply 5
Original post by AidyD
Hoping someone can help me out here.... Im going through my employment history on my UCAS application and am having some probs...

Basically Iv spent a couple of years travelling before getting back to UK and working a couple of part time bar jobs.
Now I can only fill in my last five jobs - and they are all crappy bar jobs, with 3 of them abroad and I cant remember the names or address of those barjobs either.

So I cant fill them in. Which makes it look like Iv only worked for one year of my life since leaving school :frown:

On top of this my main job that I worked in for years is sales and marketing - Pretty much the backbone of my personal statement and hopefully deal winner for being accepted onto the degree Iv chosen...

But I cant fit that on as Iv had about 5 million jobs since then when I went travelling! Im worried at what to put and if I make up an address UCAS might check it and just warn all my Uni choices I'm a liar? (I know they do something similar if they find your Personal Statement is copied)

Also employment history is pretty important for mature student applications as its looked upon to see what skills and qualities you are bringing in from the school of life opposed to academic qualifications (in my instance anyway)

Anyone able to help me out here? Im not sure what to do... Greatly appreciated for any help!

My advice AidyD is to put down on your ucas form the most recent jobs you have and which are relevant to the type of degree you want to do.As i seem to remember the UCAS form only allows you to put down a few jobs which is sometimes a bit of a pain as it doesnt allow you to put down loads.UCAS has similar detection software that does detected if you copied or used someone else statement in the personal statement bit off the topic you asking but there u go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending