The Student Room Group

policing query

evening all,

does anyone know the difference between a custody officer and a detention officer, that is if the is any difference, im a little confused ?:s-smilie:
Reply 1
I'm not entirely sure of the difference, they seem very similar!

A Custody Officer has to be at least a Sergeant (I think); they make sure arrests are justified etc, explain to the person why they have been arrested, informing them of their rights, make sure the person is treated according to PACE, authorise further detention etc.

A Detention Officer I think is the officer in charging of searching the detained prisoner, conducting risk assessment, booking the prisoner in properly (e.g. searching, fingerprints, photographing, seizing clothing etc), etc etc.

I just looked it up to check I wasn't talking complete rubbish (heh), and found this, which explains role of Detention Officer and it states part of their duties as assisting the Custody Officer, so there you go. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Liv1204
I'm not entirely sure of the difference, they seem very similar!

A Custody Officer has to be at least a Sergeant (I think); they make sure arrests are justified etc, explain to the person why they have been arrested, informing them of their rights, make sure the person is treated according to PACE, authorise further detention etc.

A Detention Officer I think is the officer in charging of searching the detained prisoner, conducting risk assessment, booking the prisoner in properly (e.g. searching, fingerprints, photographing, seizing clothing etc), etc etc.

I just looked it up to check I wasn't talking complete rubbish (heh), and found this, which explains role of Detention Officer and it states part of their duties as assisting the Custody Officer, so there you go. :smile:

This. Also note that the desk sergeant is a sworn in police officer, while detention officers are civilians hired as police staff but Im assuming they have powers similiar to but not equal to Prison Officers while inside the custody block and dealing with detained persons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending