The Student Room Group

Rowing- Bow Side v Stroke side

Hi,

I don't know if this is a repost thread :confused: since I am new here and cannae be asked to trawl through pages and pages of threads.

Anyhow, I know there must be a fair few rowers on TSR and I was just wondering if any of you would care to share your opinion on which side of the boat is best. The Sculling v Sweep debate is an age-old one, and I was curious as to whether people genuinely had a preference for a particular side in sweep, or if it was simply because that was how you learnt it first.

I hope this is a (moderately) interesting topic for debate! :biggrin:
Reply 1
surely it depends whether you're left handed or right handed?
Reply 2
That's exactly what I was wondering... but since right handers form 70-90% of the population, I don't think that accounts for much...
Reply 3
bow side for the win!
and i don't think it really depends on if you're left handed or right handed, i row both sides (bisweptual if you will..) but just prefer bow side.. :smile:
It is just which you do most of. You don't need to be very skilfull with your hands so it doesn't matter because the body is symmetrical after all.
Reply 5
I think you just develop a preference after a while solely down to rowing on the same side all the time. Im a bowsider and have been for 4 years, I know i'd be rubbish on strokeside not just from lack of experience, but also due to the fact that rowing makes you asymmetrical. My right hamstring is now more flexible than my left and my right lats are bigger. If I was to row on strokeside the main difference would be that I would struggle to get full length.
Reply 6
I've almost always been put on stroke side, usually right at the stern or bow! I'm never in the middle :P

Quick Reply

Latest