Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Is Nottingham really that dangerous?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham is a nice city, crime is confined to certain area's on the outskirts.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Compared to parts of Manchester, it's fine. Although every city has its rough parts, you just got to know where to avoid and when to avoid it. Maybe avoid walking alone at night, but that goes without saying for anywhere.

Media probably gets a strong portion of its content through late night antics and young offenders (guessing).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you make it across the street without being shanked with a screw driver you're doing it wrong.

On the other hand, I live in Wollaton (that's part of nottingham), so nearly everyone is quite... old... As long as they don't attack en masse you can outrun those ones... Just watch out for flying zimmer frames and the occasional menace on an OAP scooter...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    When was the last time you heard of a crime in Nottingham on the main news. I can't remember, whreas London, Manchester and Liverpool are always on the news with murders and stappings.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AfghanistanBananistan)
    When was the last time you heard of a crime in Nottingham on the main news. I can't remember, whreas London, Manchester and Liverpool are always on the news with murders and stappings.
    And where are the country's tv studios, and other media outlets, located?
    When was the last time you heard of much happening outside of the M25?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by COSMICDOLPHIN)
    And where are the country's tv studios, and other media outlets, located?
    When was the last time you heard of much happening outside of the M25?
    Libya, Afghanistan, Greese, USA, Belfast. I think they are all outside of the M25? (I hope)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    D'oh! My bad! I meant to say happening in England outside of the M25. Perhaps the phrase was meant as hyperbole, not to be taken literally but containing an element of truth.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by COSMICDOLPHIN)
    D'oh! My bad! I meant to say happening in England outside of the M25. Perhaps the phrase was meant as hyperbole, not to be taken literally but containing an element of truth.
    lol - I know what you mean, I was just just kidding

You make a valid and fair point!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've lived here all my life, and there's a lot of bad press, mainly because of certain estates in the city, where there is a fair bit of crime/gangs. That is no where near the uni campus, and all the clubs are in the main part of town, away from there. I've never had any issue with it.
    It has its bad areas, like all citys I guess.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    make it out to be?
    I'd like to study in Nottingham, but obviously haven't ever experienced living there and don't know what the City is really like.
    The course in Nottingham seems perfect, but I can't help but be put of by the media making it out to be some sort of crime-ridden city on the decline.
    I know I probably shouldn't listen to all the media stuff, but...

How true is it? and have you had any bad experiences?
    The more worrying part of it would be when I have to move into a house 2nd year, ha.
    It is the 'stab capital' of England but thats only among gangs, from what i've heard students are usually fine. You get crime and student problems everywhere, and parts of London are MUCH worse than Nottingham
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    nottinghams a ****hole mate....
    watch the real nottingham...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dCLtZFyV5k
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's fine, but the some areas are complete dives. General rule with Nottingham is the east is bad.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mufasaa)
    It's fine, but the some areas are complete dives. General rule with Nottingham is the east is bad.
    Apart from Mapperley. Or Mapperley Plains. Or Carlton. Or Gedling...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mufasaa)
    no the north part is worst but none of you souther fairies have ventured there, such as bestwood, bulwell(over 10 percent of nottingham population), top valley, broxtowe estate, bilborough, aspley, strelley, cinderhill etc etc...Poorest parts of the country...fact.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you ever get into any trouble, you can always count on Robin Hood and his band of merry men to help you out. Stay away from the police though. That's one corrupt sherrif.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louiscypher)
    no the north part is worst but none of you souther fairies have ventured there, such as bestwood, bulwell(over 10 percent of nottingham population), top valley, broxtowe estate, bilborough, aspley, strelley, cinderhill etc etc...Poorest parts of the country...fact.
    As areas go they're a bit ****, but they're not exactly riven with violent crime now the Gunns have ****ed off. My mate lives in Bulwell and its alright, albeit filled with chavs. But you could say that about a lot of places...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    From what I saw and felt, it seems almost a tradition with the whole "Shottingham" thing, but it seems pretty safe to me. It didn't stop me applying at all because I liked the course and uni. If anything, any big city is equally as bad - parts of London of course, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stressworthy)
    From what I saw and felt, it seems almost a tradition with the whole "Shottingham" thing, but it seems pretty safe to me. It didn't stop me applying at all because I liked the course and uni. If anything, any big city is equally as bad - parts of London of course, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool etc.
    i take it the 4 murders in the past month, 2 stabboings and random attacks have passed you by???

Throw in the fact that it was arguebly pound fpor pound the worst for the riots and you sir have a class A contender for worst post of the year.

Add the fact nottinghams npot that big of a city, its smaller than bristol, sheffield, leeds etc. Its more comparable in size to leicester, newcastle etc.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louiscypher)
    i take it the 4 murders in the past month, 2 stabboings and random attacks have passed you by???

Throw in the fact that it was arguebly pound fpor pound the worst for the riots and you sir have a class A contender for worst post of the year.

Add the fact nottinghams npot that big of a city, its smaller than bristol, sheffield, leeds etc. Its more comparable in size to leicester, newcastle etc.
    Incorrect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...United_Kingdom
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It depends how you view it.

The actual City of Nottingham is very small. It's actually a lot smaller than Sheffield, Leeds and even Leicester.

However if we include the outer towns such as Arnold, West Bridgford, Beeston, Eastwood etc (even though they are not technically part of Nottingham but considered by many to be so) then you have one of the largest Cities in the UK. The Nottingham 'urban area' is biggger than the Leicester and Sheffield 'urban areas'. Crime stas for nottingham only include the official City of Nottingham though and thats why it seems high.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 1, 2014
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.