The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Biology Unit 5 (6BIO5) - 27/01/2011- OFFICIAL THREAD !

Unit 5: Energy, Exercise and Coordination

Topic 7: Run for your life

This topic is centred on the physiological adaptations that enable animals and humans, particularly sports people, to undertake strenuous exercise. It explores the links between an animal’s physiology and its performance. The topic summarises the biochemical requirements for respiration and looks at the links between homeostasis, muscle physiology and performance. It ends by looking at how medical technology is enabling more people to participate in sport, and by raising the issue as to whether the use of performance-enhancing substances by athletes can be justified.

Topic 8: Grey matter

The scene is set by considering how the working of the nervous system enables us to see. Brain imaging and the regions of the brain are considered. The topic also demonstrates how an understanding of brain structure and functioning is relevant to such issues as the response to stimuli, the development of vision and learning. It investigates how imbalances in brain chemicals may result in conditions such as Parkinson’s disease and its treatment with drugs are investigated. Students discuss the ethical issues raised by the Human Genome Project and the risks and benefits of using genetically modified organisms.

Download the Scientific Article for Jan 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dush_2
Unit 5: Energy, Exercise and Coordination

Topic 7: Run for your life

This topic is centred on the physiological adaptations that enable animals and humans, particularly sports people, to undertake strenuous exercise. It explores the links between an animal’s physiology and its performance. The topic summarises the biochemical requirements for respiration and looks at the links between homeostasis, muscle physiology and performance. It ends by looking at how medical technology is enabling more people to participate in sport, and by raising the issue as to whether the use of performance-enhancing substances by athletes can be justified.

Topic 8: Grey matter

The scene is set by considering how the working of the nervous system enables us to see. Brain imaging and the regions of the brain are considered. The topic also demonstrates how an understanding of brain structure and functioning is relevant to such issues as the response to stimuli, the development of vision and learning. It investigates how imbalances in brain chemicals may result in conditions such as Parkinson’s disease and its treatment with drugs are investigated. Students discuss the ethical issues raised by the Human Genome Project and the risks and benefits of using genetically modified organisms.

Download the Scientific Article for Jan 2011

Dude do u have any questions or notes on the article (i know it was just released, but just asking). Thnx in advance.
Reply 2
not yet !! we will discuss all the things here later !!
Reply 3
I think on page 9 of the article. There is a second paragraph
Another source of unique..................................................................................
vital to fish's survival.
In which there is a line. "The gene involved originally coded for
a digestive enzyme" which should not be there.
Reply 4
Thank you so much
Reply 5
I was wondering if people want to discuss certain topics here
Reply 6
EXPLAIN the fate of lactate after a period of anaerobic respiration in animals.
Original post by xxsaraxx7
EXPLAIN the fate of lactate after a period of anaerobic respiration in animals.

- After peiod of anaerobic respiration oxygen debt builds up, causing muscle cramps
- Lactate converted back to pyruvate and enters kreb's cycle for respiration
- Lactate can be converted back into glucose in liver cells where it is stored in the form of glycogen

I am not so sure so correct me if i am wrong
Reply 8
Original post by kiss_my_asthma_99
- After peiod of anaerobic respiration oxygen debt builds up, causing muscle cramps
- Lactate converted back to pyruvate and enters kreb's cycle for respiration
- Lactate can be converted back into glucose in liver cells where it is stored in the form of glycogen

I am not so sure so correct me if i am wrong

u r correct
Reply 9
I did this last June... got 95% in this paper I think....

It was a dreadfully written paper but make sure you revise the mechanisms of Action Potentials, and pay loads of attention to the article too!

Are you doing this unit in Jan? Thought it was only a summer unit?
Reply 10
Original post by thecdon

It was a dreadfully written paper but make sure you revise the mechanisms of Action Potentials, and pay loads of attention to the article too!

95% is amazing considering it was a badly written paper(I hated it). How did you revise for the article apart from reading it and highlighting the main topics i have no idea what to do.
Reply 11
Original post by xxsaraxx7
95% is amazing considering it was a badly written paper(I hated it). How did you revise for the article apart from reading it and highlighting the main topics i have no idea what to do.

Hey,

To be honest all I did for the article was just read it and highlight a couple of things.
When I read some of the questions on the actual paper about the article I panicked and got really worried as I couldn't think of the answers initially. So I went back and re-read the questions and it turned out that some of them required no knowledge about the paper - like the synoptic question from unit 1 (6BI01) which was worth 4 marks - something like "describe how the enzyme.... is formed" and you just mention the stages of making a protein.

Also some other questions were also synoptic and general biology knowledge!

Are you repeating it?

I'd imagine that this years paper the article will be different in the way that the questions asked about the article will be relevant to what's written....as opposed to quite a few questions being synoptic based...
Reply 12
Do we need to learn about refractory period ect... even if its not on the syllabus.
Reply 13
any one got practice questions on the article !!
Reply 14
We need to clear the concept only or learn as well? :confused:
Reply 15
Original post by thecdon

im doing it in jan
Reply 16
anyone who wants to be a little bit helpfull to help a hopelose person?
it has been 3month since im looking for the answers of Ann Fullick book(green one)
I hve found for AS through a person i cant find the person.
Sureley there must be A2 asnwers aswell when there is AS ,so any one want to helpfull le tme please know here i can find these answers please people i feel really depressed today.i have been revising alot and I had a mock exam I had 20/40 and im aiming for an A ,it turns out that i have to study much harder i mean I have to do all those question.I feel that my knowlegde i not to bad ,but the way the examinaers asking the question is just just really bull.so please
Reply 17
any got sm thing to share with us on the article
Reply 18
Original post by dush_2
im doing it in jan

hey!!

i just joined in...

I am actually repeating unit 5 in this jan and I am extremely worried about the article I just downloaded it from here!what are you all doing for the article and any sort of advice or help would be simply great!!!!!!!
Reply 19
i cant join theath for a2 anyone know why?

Quick Reply