The Student Room Group

Different ranking tables.. which one to believe?

There are so many rankings tables on the internet.. each saying different things. Such as the 'guardian' and the 'times'.
Which one should I use?
Im looking at civil engineering uni's btw..
im talking universities below the the top 10.
Reply 1
I like to use this one. You have to pay if you want to see the Times University Guide same as the Sunday Times University Guide. Generally, the Times are considered to be a bit better, because Guardian is just too much 'satisfaction based'.
Reply 2
I don't think you have to pay for the Times one, I just signed up for free and now I can see the tables... I think? Certainly don't remember handing any money over :smile: Personally, I think the Times one is pretty good, but plenty of people use the link posted above. To be honest the Guardian's table is pretty poor in my opinion, but by all means have a look at as many as you like :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Wookie42
I don't think you have to pay for the Times one, I just signed up for free and now I can see the tables... I think? Certainly don't remember handing any money over :smile: Personally, I think the Times one is pretty good, but plenty of people use the link posted above. To be honest the Guardian's table is pretty poor in my opinion, but by all means have a look at as many as you like :smile:

I registered as well, was able to view them, but after a certain time they wanted money from me. I don't know how long is it since you've registered, but make sure to take some screenshots if you want to remember where are your unis ranked.
Reply 4
Original post by MJay91
I registered as well, was able to view them, but after a certain time they wanted money from me. I don't know how long is it since you've registered, but make sure to take some screenshots if you want to remember where are your unis ranked.

Ooh, thanks for the tip. Pretty sneaky to be honest. I bought the University guide book from them though (in fact, my parents did), so no need for screenshots :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by MJay91
I like to use this one. You have to pay if you want to see the Times University Guide same as the Sunday Times University Guide. Generally, the Times are considered to be a bit better, because Guardian is just too much 'satisfaction based'.

someone likes that site? i hate it so much.
Reply 6
Original post by WhySoLimey
someone likes that site? i hate it so much.

The Unistats? Why is that?
Original post by yaya1
There are so many rankings tables on the internet.. each saying different things. Such as the 'guardian' and the 'times'.
Which one should I use?
Im looking at civil engineering uni's btw..
im talking universities below the the top 10.

For civil engineering you shouldn't bother with them as they're a load of crap.
Reply 8
If you want my honest opinion then none.
Original post by MJay91
The Unistats? Why is that?

well firstly for the civil engineering course, when searched most of the results are chemical or other sorts of engineering, not civil

a point that also really annoys me is that when searched its sorted alphabetically, which is utterly ****ing useless, and when u click the column title, i obviously dont want a ****ing glossary term explaining it, why cant it be normal and just sort it when clicked (i know the little arrow does it instead here)

ok so maybe im already annoyed but this site really didnt help :P
You should use them as a rough guide only- you don't always know what exactly they take into account to make the rankings. You have to firstly whittle them down with regards to which does your course, how far you want to move from home, module choices etc, and then try looking at reviews and rankings. But don't rule institutions out based on rankings alone, you might be missing out on what could be a really enjoyable time.
Reply 11
Original post by WhySoLimey
well firstly for the civil engineering course, when searched most of the results are chemical or other sorts of engineering, not civil

a point that also really annoys me is that when searched its sorted alphabetically, which is utterly ****ing useless, and when u click the column title, i obviously dont want a ****ing glossary term explaining it, why cant it be normal and just sort it when clicked (i know the little arrow does it instead here)

ok so maybe im already annoyed but this site really didnt help :P

Wow, you really hate them. However, you're right at this point, because when I put marketing in it won't always find what I'm looking for - it shows business and management or something similar. Oh, and if you want to sort them alphabetically, you have to click that white arrow thingy, not the text.

Quick Reply

Latest