The Student Room Group

Combined Studies...

Hi,

Im applying for English / English (and/with) Film for 2006. There are some Unis that I really like the look of that offer the above combo within a Combined Studies degree.

I know that Combined Studies modules are offered from other faulties; English therefore would offer a decent range of modules. I'm concerned abou film though, Manchester and Newcastle say that film modules are offered through American Studies, ModLang etc. Are they just units that contain a slightly film based tint which are highly geared towards the subject whose faculty they come from? Or is there a real sense of 'film studies' about the units?

Anyone do a Combined Studies degree? Or know anything of them? Help much appreciated.

OppressedMass
Hi,

Im applying for English / English (and/with) Film for 2006. There are some Unis that I really like the look of that offer the above combo within a Combined Studies degree.

I know that Combined Studies modules are offered from other faulties; English therefore would offer a decent range of modules. I'm concerned abou film though, Manchester and Newcastle say that film modules are offered through American Studies, ModLang etc. Are they just units that contain a slightly film based tint which are highly geared towards the subject whose faculty they come from? Or is there a real sense of 'film studies' about the units?

Anyone do a Combined Studies degree? Or know anything of them? Help much appreciated.

Have you checked out the English with Film course at UEA? I really dont know anything about the course but cannot say enough about the uni itself, its absolutely brilliant.

EDIT: You can read about the course here: http://www.uea.ac.uk/menu/study_and_research/undergrad/ugprospectus/subjects/film_and_television_studies.html
Never really looked into UEA. I was always quite put off by the location to be honest, but I will look into it. I read the link and it sounds an interesting course... Thanks a lot.

Anyone else know anything?
What are your predicted grades? If you're good enough, both Warwick and Exeter do an English and Film studies course.
AAAA. Yeah the Warwick course looks really cool and is on my list :wink:

Aparantly they admit a tiny number of people though, but I'll apply anyway I think.
With AAAA you might as well. Look into Exeter too. It's a gorgeous uni. When I went on my open day I met a girl who was trying to decide between Warwick and Exeter for English and Film Studies, and at that point she was swaying towards Exeter.
susiemakemeblue
With AAAA you might as well. Look into Exeter too. It's a gorgeous uni. When I went on my open day I met a girl who was trying to decide between Warwick and Exeter for English and Film Studies, and at that point she was swaying towards Exeter.

I remember looking around the campus at 13/14 and loving it - problem is I was living there, and did for 14yrs before that and 3yrs after, so its not an option unfortunately. Kindof wish I was from up north or something because it's a loverly place.
Reply 7
Give Sussex a look if the more contemporary, critical stuff interests you.
Wise One
Give Sussex a look if the more contemporary, critical stuff interests you.

On me list :wink:
Anyone do combined studies???????
Reply 10
All the courses (except one) I applied for are combined honours :smile: I thought it was better because you get to study a wider range of things ..

Latest

Trending

Trending